SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Polls Week of 10-20-14

Matt

The whole state would gain something from it. Have you ever watched the NFL films bit on the UND/NDSU rivalry. If not go ahead and google it, watch it, then see what you think about the game.

He would see UND wining the game and dismiss the program as fictional, because NDSU could never lose to UND.

I guess I don't want to play UND anymore because I don't see anything to gain out of it. Look at recruiting right now. NDSU is dominating ND and Minnesota FCS talent.

If the rolls were reversed, why would you even want to give NDSU the sniff of an opportunity to gain credibility through a win? Not saying I am scared. I am very confident NDSU will crush UND next year, but stranger things have happened.

I think there is also a small fraction of fans who want UND to burn for as long as possible for ending the rivalry in 2003 when we moved up. You guys can point to the whole D2 wins playoff argument but the fact simply is that the rules for D2 playoff games were changed that summer. Admit it or not, Roger Thomas thought he would be burying NDSU buy not playing them. It turned out to be the exact opposite . I guess a lot of NDSU fans don't feel like helping UND out by giving you a shot at getting a jump start for your program, when UND would not help NDSU out when we struggled to find games. For the record I am not one of those guys. I don't dwell on the past.

Good take here.  There is a perception among more casual football fans that NDSU is on a different level.  There is a better chance than not that UND narrows that gap next fall.  Schwiegert was smart to press the issue with Faison, to get it done whatever it took.   

Why play us in any sport if there is "nothing to gain". It's a DI OOC game, a win goes towards the playoff goal of 7 or 8 wins (whatever the criteria is). If you guys want to not play us have the balls to say it to the media that NDSU will not play UND in anything. Then go ahead with Weber State, Ferris St, Morgan St and Wagner, but at the same time troll on UND's fan site, smack talk about them in about a hundred threads on your fan site, and then bring up about "crushing us". Because everything works out on paper (or a monitor). Who needs to play the game.

Basketball is different. When I look at recruiting, there doesn't appear to be as many of the same kids both schools are fighting for. I think the talent pool is deeper.

I don't buy the good for the state at all. This isn't the old D2 days. You start splitting talent and both schools are mediocre 7 win teams.

Personally I think it is better for one ND to be an FCS powerhouse and gain ESPN exposure on a constant basis rather than two mediocre programs.

Good take here. There is a perception among more casual football fans that NDSU is on a different level. There is a better chance than not that UND narrows that gap next fall. Schwiegert was smart to press the issue with Faison, to get it done whatever it took. [/quote

I don't think UND is below NDSU, but not playing UND is best for the success of our program. F the rest of the state. Bison fans and alumni overwhelmingly don't want it.

The whole state would gain something from it. Have you ever watched the NFL films bit on the UND/NDSU rivalry. If not go ahead and google it, watch it, then see what you think about the game.

Yes I watched it. Times have changed. UND was once the game NDSU fans looked forward to. Well before we started playing FBS teams and winning FCS championships.

You guys want the game because you know beating NDSU is the fastest way to build your program. Nothing wrong in saying it.

If UND fans want the game so bad on a constant level, admit the Big Sky is not a good fit and petition the MV and SL for an invitation.

Basketball is different. When I look at recruiting, there doesn't appear to be as many of the same kids both schools are fighting for. I think the talent pool is deeper.

I don't buy the good for the state at all. This isn't the old D2 days. You start splitting talent and both schools are mediocre 7 win teams.

Personally I think it is better for one ND to be an FCS powerhouse and gain ESPN exposure on a constant basis rather than two mediocre programs.

Espn exposure on a consistent basis? So what p5 conference are you guys joining? You get on Gameday and you think you are Alabama? I don't think the fans of Montana, App State and Marshall had this big of a head. Eat a Snickers BisonAlumni you get a little loopy when you get hungry.

Espn exposure on a consistent basis? So what p5 conference are you guys joining? You get on Gameday and you think you are Alabama? I don't think the fans of Montana, App State and Marshall had this big of a head. Eat a Snickers BisonAlumni you get a little loopy when you get hungry.

NDSU gets mentioned almost every week on ESPN college gameday.

There is the attitude we've been looking for. That is why so many people have a problem with Bison fans. Can we put that on a billboard and quote you?

The State of North Dakota, with all of the revenue it has, is an embarrassment in terms of higher education funding, let alone athletics.

Every penny that goes into facilities is done through private donations. Hell the state won't even let UND and NDSU bond for athletic facilities.

The students, alumni, and teammakers members are the ones who make NDSU's athletic success.

ame="2011BisonAlumni" post="733040" timestamp="1414602750"]

I didn't know you polled the alumni and fans. What % was for it and against it. Margin of error was what? Was it a phone poll or email or snail mail or just on BV?[/quote

I believe there have been several polls conducted. The vast majority of alumni do not want it or are neutral. Walk around NDSU tailgating sometime and ask people. They don't want it.

My father in-law is a Bison Alum and he wants NDSU to play UND. My neighbors are NDSU alum and they say the same thing. I saw someone post on BV about a student went around the NDSU campus and polled people and the majority wanted the game played. Is it because you don't remember the NDSU dominance over UND and is afraid UND would continue the dominance? It's okay to admit it, we'll understand.

There is the attitude we've been looking for. That is why so many people have a problem with Bison fans. Can we put that on a billboard and quote you?

I think that is the quote the football players used when forging petition signatures.

• Upvote 1

Little man syndrome alert! Afraid a loss to und in football will drop ndsu football to the third most popular team in the state?

Does 3 fcs titles, some fbs wins, and two gameday appearances in Fargo make most bison fans live happier lives? Sure great for the athletes and coaches. They've done a hell of a job. Fans should be proud. But should they be beating their chests? Boy would I hate to be one of these types of fans when the tide turns.

• Upvote 2

Darrell,

How old is your father in law? 75-80? Guess it would make sense.

I guess I would have a little bit more perspective on it since a.) I went to school at NDSU b.) actually attend NDSU games and tailgate and have talked to hundreds of fans about it. Your small sample size does nothing.

NDSU won't buy out the game. We can't even pay a D2 team that little amount of money to play us.

Goes to show how desperate UND is for that game. They agreed to the worst deal I have ever heard of in D1 football out of desperation to rekindle their program.

Darrell,

I guess I would have a little bit more perspective on it since a.) I went to school at NDSU b.) actually attend NDSU games and tailgate and have talked to hundreds of fans about it. Your small sample size does nothing.

NDSU won't buy out the game. We can't even pay a D2 team that little amount of money to play us.

Goes to show how desperate UND is for that game. They agreed to the worst deal I have ever heard of in D1 football out of desperation to rekindle their program.

When tailgating and surveying these fans did you get signatures? Or just copy these fan's names out of the phonebook?

• Upvote 1

There was a very small majority of you on here in 2003 that wanted to continue the game. Your AD actually came out and publicly stated they would not continue playing NDSU due to the fact that it could negatively impact the success of their team.

I am stating the exact same argument that your AD made. Shouldn't be a problem for you to find reason in it.

Darrell,

So my 3 plus your hundreds at tailgating almost equals all the alumni of 76,000, plus fans equalling a lot more than that. Nice science you use.

Darrell,

You have to look at net, not gross.  

There was a very small majority of you on here in 2003 that wanted to continue the game. Your AD actually came out and publicly stated they would not continue playing NDSU due to the fact that it could negatively impact the success of their team.

I am stating the exact same argument that your AD made. Shouldn't be a problem for you to find reason in it.

Is NDSU using more scholarships than UND? Are they playing at a higher level than UND? Or since UND is beating NDSU in other sports you are afraid UND will win in your #1 sport and sending Bisons football back down to earth with SDSU and USD.