SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at SUU

geaux_sioux

That was really disappointing. SUU is not very good. The D was really weak today. Dropped passes killed us.

I counted 6 dropped passes in the first half.  3 of them would have extended the drive if they were caught.

The D was weak, but it might have something to do with SUU having three weeks of tape to look at to know what our tendencies were and figure out where they could take advantage of us.  the Montana schools didn't really have this and we might have been able to sneak up on them.  My guess is for the rest of the season our defense is going to be somewhere in the middle of what we thought it was after the Montana games and what we saw today.

Overall though, I am not too disappointed.  We played well in the first and 3rd quarters (minus the dropped pitch and the dropped passes).  We aren't a playoff team yet, but we are getting better and have the potential for 2 -3 more wins this year, which is much better than I expected.  This year has already shown that the next few years of Sioux football should be pretty exciting.  Recruiting should get much easier, the stands should start filling up again, and we can expect to be in a close game every Saturday.  I'll take that after last year.

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing now Bartles will be the man at center for the rest of the year. 

Today was a half-step backwards.  If there was two things gain from this it this

1) Siebel is becoming a nice target in the WR corp.  Stepping up for the absence of McGill

2) I have been very hard on Garmin during his time at UND.  He played very well today

Fans, don't take this loss to heart. It's still a rebuilding year and this team has improved from last year. I have faith in Bubba and what he's doing to get this team back on track.

The team has fallen to 3-5 (1-3 BSC), but yet, they still are in the hunt to go 0.500. Considering the personnel that Bubba and his staff are dealing with (backups all of the last season, for the most part), I'd say Bubba has done a good job thus far. Also, UND has already matched their win total from last year. 

Although yesterday's game was very disappointing, I do agree that its important to emphasize this program IS going in the right direction. 

Regarding specific moments in the game, I look back real early in the game to the 4th down (game was 0-0) that UND attempted to convert on offense. If UND has a capable line, they get that 2 yards or so and convert. That keeps momentum going for UND. Instead, Norberg basically lost a yard. Point is, UND can get a lot better simply through recruiting more depth and talent, and thankfully, Bubba is already doing that. 

I have accepted the youth, inconsistency, average talent, lack of depth, and a coaching staff with little experience in the Big Sky and 1 late/partial year recruiting. Maybe 1 or 2 more wins this year and continue the rebuild. I am still optimistic about the next few years.

• Upvote 2

Regardless of my opinion on the QB situation I hope Joe isn't hurt to where he can't play next week if Bubba wants to still go w him

Not sure how much validity there is in your opinion of the QB situation anymore. Where was the scathing criticism of the under thrown, overthrown deep passes the pick 6 thrown that the points were delayed by their penalty that took us out of a game where we were coming back. This was against one of the weakest defenses in the league if not the FCS. Don't make the wind excuse, the other guy completed over 90% of his passes. Had Joe been the QB with the exact same results you and a couple others would have been screaming again. I don't mean this as a criticism of Bartles as much as pointing out that a lot of you folks don't understand the issues with our offense. Mollberg has been getting hammered all season and gets knocked out for the season by another missed block. Until now, he has survived and has been developing into the leader and QB most of us were believing he could. I don't know that Ryan could have taken the same physical beating and lasted this long.

Having said that, Bartles is capable and we have teams coming up on the schedule we can beat. Although Bartles struggled yesterday, if he is given time, he can be an effective QB. Receivers need to catch the damn ball no matter how much " zip" it has and they need to

run the right routes. The RB's need to hang on to the ball and the oline needs to be more than a speed bump. We need to be patient with Bartles just like we needed patience with Joe. I would also get him out of the game when the outcome is decided to try and keep him healthy to get through the season. Can't have defensive breakdown like yesterday. No excuse.

Keys were the unusual decision to take the wind instead of defer decision on opening kickoff, Norberg's fumble on the pitch, failure to make first down on fake punt, Mollberg's injury, first int by Bartles when defense started playing and we had shot at getting back in game and the overall lack of intensity esp by defense. This is game we should have won.

Not sure how much validity there is in your opinion of the QB situation anymore. Where was the scathing criticism of the under thrown, overthrown deep passes the pick 6 thrown that the points were delayed by their penalty that took us out of a game where we were coming back. This was against one of the weakest defenses in the league if not the FCS. Don't make the wind excuse, the other guy completed over 90% of his passes. Had Joe been the QB with the exact same results you and a couple others would have been screaming again. I don't mean this as a criticism of Bartles as much as pointing out that a lot of you folks don't understand the issues with our offense. Mollberg has been getting hammered all season and gets knocked out for the season by another missed block. Until now, he has survived and has been developing into the leader and QB most of us were believing he could. I don't know that Ryan could have taken the same physical beating and lasted this long.

Having said that, Bartles is capable and we have teams coming up on the schedule we can beat. Although Bartles struggled yesterday, if he is given time, he can be an effective QB. Receivers need to catch the damn ball no matter how much " zip" it has and they need to

run the right routes. The RB's need to hang on to the ball and the oline needs to be more than a speed bump. We need to be patient with Bartles just like we needed patience with Joe. I would also get him out of the game when the outcome is decided to try and keep him healthy to get through the season. Can't have defensive breakdown like yesterday. No excuse.

Keys were the unusual decision to take the wind instead of defer decision on opening kickoff, Norberg's fumble on the pitch, failure to make first down on fake punt, Mollberg's injury, first int by Bartles when defense started playing and we had shot at getting back in game and the overall lack of intensity esp by defense. This is game we should have won.

Bartels has yet to start a game this year. He's played less than two full games throughout the season. Joe has still gotten most of the first team reps in practice.

That's why people aren't ripping Ryan like they would Joe. He's been thrown in unexpectedly with less preparation than Joe so he deserves some slack.

Lighten up...just said for the sake of Joe I hope he isn't hurt too bad. My opinion is just that an opinion. You obviously have some skin the game as far as Joe goes anyone can see that. Did Bartles make every throw...no but when you are handcuffed by poor coaching decisions and poor defensive and have to chuck it to get back in it Ithought he played ok. If Joe is healthy and plays next week...great but I won't expect anything more than what he has shown to date.

Bartels has yet to start a game this year. He's played less than two full games throughout the season. Joe has still gotten most of the first team reps in practice.

That's why people aren't ripping Ryan like they would Joe. He's been thrown in unexpectedly with less preparation than Joe so he deserves some slack.

Shouldn't be "ripping on Ryan" anyway. He has had plenty of preparation. This is college FB not HS. The experts here don't think practice means much anyway. The point is there is no reason to "rip" on either of these guys but if that is what one does, then if you wish to maintain credibility, then I seem to have missed the undue criticism of Bartles that is reserved for others. Garmin is another example. Give him some room he can be an effective RB. He won't run over people and may not break every arm tackle but some of these same folks who demand a new coach, new QB, new bus driver, whenever we struggled, don't get it. This is a work in progress.

At this time, there is no reason to compare anymore cuz Ryan is the guy for the rest of the season. Our line needs to protect him. I think he will do fine given protection, but we need to catch the ball and continue to have some semblance of a running game.

Lighten up...just said for the sake of Joe I hope he isn't hurt too bad. My opinion is just that an opinion. You obviously have some skin the game as far as Joe goes anyone can see that. Did Bartles make every throw...no but when you are handcuffed by poor coaching decisions and poor defensive and have to chuck it to get back in it Ithought he played ok. If Joe is healthy and plays next week...great but I won't expect anything more than what he has shown to date.

My skin in the game is the success of UND FB.

It is Bartles job the rest of the season and I hope he develops into an All - American and has a long NFL career. The fact I have defended Mollberg is nothing more or less than my opinion, just like your criticism of Joe all year is your opinion. Your inconsistency in your criticism is what I pointed out. I don't believe our QB's are handcuffed by poor coaching. The defense has been improving. When they started playing well yesterday, and we got back in the game we threw the pick. You would not have blamed that on the coaching or the defense.

The first few weeks you have to admit, Joe played pretty poorly and I think any QB that would have played that way would have received a fair amount of criticism.   The last few weeks Joe had improved quite a bit, and I don't think there was as much criticism the last few weeks (but I could have missed some of it) and I think he gained some supporters that wanted to stick with him.  I for one, when Joe got hurt the first time was like.....oh crap, just when Joe was looking good he got hurt now we have to take a step backwards again.  However I think the last few week since Bartels came in the game and scored two TD's in his first full quarter against Portland, people saw some life in the UND offense and thought perhaps Bartels deserves a chance.   The good news is, I think both are now capable of being productive.  Yesterday was definitely just a bad and off day all the way around.  I hope Joe is not seriously hurt either.  At this point I don't know who gives us a better chance to win.  I guess if Bartels is the starter the rest of the way, we will get to get a good look at him in this offense so that one way or another we know for next year who the starter should be.   I really hope we aren't having this same debate next fall.

My skin in the game is the success of UND FB.

It is Bartles job the rest of the season and I hope he develops into an All - American and has a long NFL career. The fact I have defended Mollberg is nothing more or less than my opinion, just like your criticism of Joe all year is your opinion. Your inconsistency in your criticism is what I pointed out. I don't believe our QB's are handcuffed by poor coaching. The defense has been improving. When they started playing well yesterday, and we got back in the game we threw the pick. You would not have blamed that on the coaching or the defense.

Which game this year has Joe been asked to throw it forty plus times? Ryan made some poor throws and decisions in his forty plus attempts. He also made some decisions and throws that Joe hasn't made all year. Neither one of these guys will be All-American but IMO one gives this team a better chance of competing and possibly winning FB games...and we'll just have yo agree to disagree on that.

Bartles will get his shot in these last 4 games

if he plays well, he might have given himself the job week 1 in 2015

if he is inconsistent.  The coaches take a very long look at Keaton for the number 1 job in 2015

Most important, if Joe is done for the year.  Keep Bartles healthy so we don't have Hanson and Ivery as our 1 and 2 QBs. (this isn't a knock on Hanson, we don't want to be in that situation)

Too bad that we laid an egg yesterday.  Both Montana and EWU losses and a UND would make the rest of the season very interesting.

The 2 turnovers were back breakers.  Pass defense suspect. Defense made stops but no interception, etch would have made a difference. 

Time to put it behind us and concentrate on next week.

Which game this year has Joe been asked to throw it forty plus times? Ryan made some poor throws and decisions in his forty plus attempts. He also made some decisions and throws that Joe hasn't made all year. Neither one of these guys will be All-American but IMO one gives this team a better chance of competing and possibly winning FB games...and we'll just have yo agree to disagree on that.

Yup. I would have worded it differently. I would have said we never gave Joe a shot at throwing >40 times in a game. There were no throws or decisions made yesterday that Joe hasn't made, both good and bad. I think Ryan can get the job done but he needs the same thing Joe needed:Time to throw and guys catching the ball, running the right routes and running game capable of keeping a defense honest.

Hopefully Joe can recover from this and until he does the job is Ryan's.

Lot of poor play and poor play calling yesterday. The fake punt was not the best coaching decision. Way too many dropped passes. I think Cerriteno had three drops by himself. The other comment is that Walker seems to be no factor. Seems pretty slow and unable to get open which isn't helping the QB's. I will also agree with the post about Garmin. I've been tough on him too but he did run well yesterday. Rumor has it that Bartels is hurt and Molberg may be done for the year. I have heard they may pull the redshirt of the freshman for the remainder of the year.