SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at SUU

geaux_sioux

I have to agree this Sioux football team is indeed a work in progress.  There are going to be ups and downs.  However, let's cite a little history here from a neighboring university.  In 1959 the Minnesota Gophers football team finished dead last in the Big Ten.  The very next season, 1960, the Gophers turned it around and not only tied Iowa for the Big Ten title, but won the national championship.  How about that for worst to first and beyond!  And look at what Idaho State is accomplishing this year as opposed to the recent past.  Take heart, Sioux fans.  I feel certain with Bubba at the helm that better days are coming.

Hadn't heard Bartels was hurt. Joe is done for season. Would hate to have to pull redshirt on Stensrud for season with no hope for playoffs. I would play Hanson in games where outcome is decided to protect Bartels.

Absolutely agree that they shouldn't pull the red shirt off Stensrud. I'd really hate to see that happen.

I liked the fake punt call going into the wind at that point. Bolduc really struggled in the wind at Bozeman. If the O-line were capable of creating a hole, we would all be saying what a great call that was.....

4 blockers on 2 small guys and we failed to block either of them. Coaches will always like those odds. If we can't win a 2 on 1 blocking situations a failed fake punt is the least of our worries as was made apparent with Joe getting mauled.

I liked the fake punt call going into the wind at that point. Bolduc really struggled in the wind at Bozeman. If the O-line were capable of creating a hole, we would all be saying what a great call that was.....

Here is why I didn't like it:  what was there to gain?  OK, so you get 4-8 yards and get the first down.  Now you are only 65 yards away from the end zone instead of 70.  The offense was going to struggle into the wind, Bartels arm is too weak to throw downfield very far.  Hell, they struggle in the Alerus Center.  So they may have gotten another first down, maybe.  

On the flip side - if they don't get it, SUU is setup at your 29 yard line with the wind, already up 7-3.   Fast forward:  Three plays later its 14-3 and you are still going into the wind for 11 more minutes.  

What are they going to do?  Start Hanson?

[/

Depends on how many games they would need him for. Weakest part of schedule coming up except EWU depending on health of their QB but they have given up a lot of points. Every decision must be based on what is best for program. We want to compete but you hate to lose a year for Stensrud. Best if he is 2 yrs behind Joe and Ryan rather than one.

Given the performance vs a 1 win SUU team, and the injury situation, we should probably stop referring to the remaining teams on the schedule (outside EWU) as "weak".

Don't think any of the teams can be considered comparatively weak to us. I said before the SUU game every game would be a dogfight. The part of the schedule remaining doesn't have teams we shouldn't be able to compete with but you are probably correct in that "weak" isn't best description.

I see info has been released. He has a ruptured Achilles Tendon. Usually 4-6 months to recover. Assume surgery this week. Too bad for Joe. Hope he makes quick recovery.

Thats too bad. I think of Dan Marino in 1993 when i hear about an achilles injury, and what he did in 1994 after the rehab. Joe should be good to go by fall camp. Spring may be a wait and see. I wish him well on his road to recovery.

If Bartles is hurt and Studsrud is the next man up, than I say pull the redshirt. Neither QB has cemented them self as a starter for next season, let's get him some game reps and see what we have.

If it doesn't look like the potential is there, than look for a transfer.

If Bartles is hurt and Studsrud is the next man up, than I say pull the redshirt. Neither QB has cemented them self as a starter for next season, let's get him some game reps and see what we have.

If it doesn't look like the potential is there, than look for a transfer.

Is Braden Hason available? ;)

Given the performance vs a 1 win SUU team, and the injury situation, we should probably stop referring to the remaining teams on the schedule (outside EWU) as "weak".

Don't think anyone referred to them as weak compared to UND but UNC and Weber aren't playoff teams.

No reason to waste a year of eligibility for fans to see what Stensrud has. I'm pretty sure coaches have a good idea of Stensrud's ability. Maybe if Bartels was also done but not for one game. It would be a tough decision for Bubba. I haven't heard Bartles is hurt other than a poster on this blog "heard a rumor". Hard to know validity.

I hate to say it, but I was kind of expecting this game.

Every work in progress has set-backs along the way. This was one of them.

So, the team can curl up in the corner with a nookie-blankie and feel sorry for itself or it can learn from the mistakes of this week and move forward.

Day by day.

Sorry to hear about Joe's injury.  I hope heals well for next season.  Hope Bartels doesn't have a injury.  Would not like to see a shirt pull this late in the season. 

Let's see what this team is made of with the adversity. 

I will make both home games and possibly the UNC game.