SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at SUU

geaux_sioux

OK, ugly question to follow but I'll ask it anyway.

I'll set it up first with, we already have a RB (who played FB in HS) who was a LB here but converted back to offense. 

We're down to Bartles, Hanson, and Studsrud.

If Hanson's not good enough for a game we shouldn't be calling him a QB and giving him QB reps in practice. 

I do not want to pull a red shirt with four weeks left, so no, Studsrud is out of the picture until spring ball in my mind.  

Is there someone else on the roster who played QB in HS who could run a few snaps. (Normally one of the safeties or WRs played QB in HS.) 

I'll set it up first with, we already have a RB (who played FB in HS) who was a LB here but converted back to offense. 

If Hanson's not good enough for a game we shouldn't be calling him a QB and giving him QB reps in practice. 

I do not want to pull a red shirt with four weeks left, so no, Studsrud is out of the picture until spring ball in my mind.  

Is there someone else on the roster who played QB in HS who could run a few snaps. (Normally one of the safeties or WRs played QB in HS.) 

My understanding is that Ivery is the emergency qb. But considering how little he's played this year at receiver, I have to wonder whether he's even healthy? Seibel might be an option considering he's already proven adept at converting to a new position, and Edmunds is also kind of jack-of-all-trades type of player. But I agree, I just can't foresee a scenario whereby it would make any sense to take the redshirt off Studsrud just for the chance at another win or two.

I'll set it up first with, we already have a RB (who played FB in HS) who was a LB here but converted back to offense.

Idowu

I think the only players who played QB in High school were Harris, Tillman and Idowu. I doubt any of them would be options due to their defensive obligations. I thought someone on here said Ivery was the emergency backup. Not sure what truth there is to that though.

Looking at bios (yeah, yeah, but that's all there is) I'd say Idowu would be the option. Why?

I don't want to give up the best DB (Tillman).

Harris is a freshman. I'm not sure that's a good thing to do to a freshman. 

I don't see that Ivery played QB in HS (Garland TX). 

And

Idowu is a chemical engineering major --> he's probably well suited to quickly picking up an offense (no disrespect intended to the others). 

If Bartels and Mollberg are both hurt and Studsrud gives us the best change to win with then we should pull his redshirt.  One thing I hope this new staff is instilling in this program is that you need to expect and try to win every game you play and not pulling redshirts to save someone who can help us in a game this year for next year isn't instilling that message.  

I understand it's not an ideal situation, but in ideal situation Studsrud would only maybe play 2 or 3 years anyways.

If Bartels and Mollberg are both hurt and Studsrud gives us the best change to win with then we should pull his redshirt.  One thing I hope this new staff is instilling in this program is that you need to expect and try to win every game you play and not pulling redshirts to save someone who can help us in a game this year for next year isn't instilling that message.  

I understand it's not an ideal situation, but in ideal situation Studsrud would only maybe play 2 or 3 years anyways.

Not a fan of it and hope it doesn't come to it, but if necessary, I agree with this.  It isn't fair to the rest of the players, especially the seniors who stuck with the program, to not put the players on the field that give you the best chance to win.  Lifting Studsrud's redshirt this doesn't mean he couldn't redshirt next year or future year if necessary.  If he isn't quite at the point where they had hoped, he could redshirt next year behind the two QB's who will be juniors.

I see info has been released. He has a ruptured Achilles Tendon. Usually 4-6 months to recover. Assume surgery this week. Too bad for Joe. Hope he makes quick recovery.

That sucks, horrible injury to recover from.  He will have to work hard and I doubt he will be full speed by next football season. 

Would guess he'll be out of spring ball for sure, and hope he's good to go by Aug. 1.

I had a ruptured Achilles and was on crutches for 7 months.  Mine might have been an extreme case though because the tendon frayed when it snapped and the doctor needed to cut about an inch off to sew it back together. 

Estimates, 4 weeks post surgery to walk, 4-6 months to return to regualr activity.

My best guess given that timeline: He might be able to do walk throughs in spring ball. (Face it, it's November.) 

Given the state of PT/OT and rehab and technology, I'd rather have to deal with a knee than an Achilles. :( 

My best guess given that timeline: He might be able to do walk throughs in spring ball. (Face it, it's November.)

Given the state of PT/OT and rehab and technology, I'd rather have to deal with a knee than an Achilles. :(

One of my good friends tore his Achilles playing softball several years ago. He said the pain and rehab were the most excruciating things he has ever experienced in his life. Best wishes to Joe for a quick and pain-free recovery.

Haven't heard what is wrong with Bartels, but expect to have redshirt pulled from Studsrud. Don't know if they will start him but I would expect it or they wouldn't need to pull redshirt.  I assume Hanson would be back-up. If they were going to start Hanson, then I thought they could bring Studsrud along and pull redshirt only if they played him.  Not sure if any of that has changed, don't keep up. Joe lasted 8 games, Bartels lasted less than 2.  They must protect these remaining QB's.  Might have to move Labat if anyone else gets hurt.  He played QB in HS when Mollberg was hurt.