SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

14 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

If the story about the old Engelstad is true, I would pit a high probability on Indiana hockey.  That takes major planning and foresight to occur.

I always figured IU would get a football team first....

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

If the story about the old Engelstad is true, I would pit a high probability on Indiana hockey.  That takes major planning and foresight to occur.

No reason to think it isnt or wasn't true but who knows when the plan was worked on.  Maybe they wanted plans but couldn't afford it or decided not to do it - like the gateway plan at EWU.  Is it a new plan or did they just want to show off their old work?

Found this old article - the beams were at a grand forks scrap yard in Dec of 2013: "As Gibbs drove around the RMI scrap yard on a recent frigid morning, he points out notable pieces sitting on top of the small metal hills. Beams that supported the former Ralph Engelstad Arena are among them, as well is a massive rebar pile from the recent Interstate 29 project."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.prairiebusinessmagazine.com/business/3967995-gf-salvage-yard-embraces-new-scrap-metal-law%3famp

On 1/25/2020 at 7:27 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Sacred Heart is building their own on campus 4000 seat rink.

https://www.uscho.com/2020/01/25/sacred-heart-announces-plans-for-new-on-campus-rink-for-mens-womens-d-i-teams-set-to-open-in-2022/

The school lists 32 varsity sports.

I broke the news 15 days before their own presser and uscho!  Mayby Indiana hockey is legit.

On 1/17/2020 at 7:35 AM, nodak651 said:

uh, is this a thing????  INDIANA?  "Indiana University’s plan to move its hockey program to Division 1 includes this proposal to develop a truly “green” arena. The buildings shell currently resides in North Dakota as the former Ralph Englestad Arena. The plan is to dismantle the facility and ship it by rail to Bloomington, Indiana where it will become the new home to Hoosier Hockey. The facility will go from 6,500 seats to 5,500 seats and receive a comprehensive renewal and re-birth."

https://jlgice.com/projects/indiana-university-athletics-pavilion/

Did they save anything when they tore down the old ralph?  Maybe this is old, but new on jlg's website.  At least it shows Indiana must have had some interest in D1 hockey.

13 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I broke the news 15 days before their own presser and uscho!  Mayby Indiana hockey is legit.

I went looking for where I saw it before, I want to say the old shell is in Indiana. But I know I’ve seen something on where the old shell of the old REA was to be used for a new arena. 

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

I went looking for where I saw it before, I want to say the old shell is in Indiana. But I know I’ve seen something on where the old shell of the old REA was to be used for a new arena. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/2204584-grand-forks-scrap-yard-embraces-new-scrap-metal-law

It's mentioned in this article from Dec 2013 that pieces were at the scrap yard of Residual Materials Inc, located in Grand Forks.  Someone here probably knows the owner...

"As Gibbs drove around the RMI scrap yard on a recent frigid morning, he points out notable pieces sitting on top of the small metal hills. Beams that supported the former Ralph Engelstad Arena are among them, as well is a massive rebar pile from the recent Interstate 29 project.

Meanwhile, a new electric shear cut metal into smaller pieces, and rail cars were loaded nearby. Business slows down this time of year, Gibbs said, as the cold weather sets in.

RMI started in 1977 by Gibbs' grandpa, dad and uncle. They originally salvaged precious metals from old computer mainframes before expanding the business to include a variety of ferrous and non-ferrous metals. RMI has also started salvaging metal from cars."

Wouldn't it be ironic if D1 hockey took off in the SEC before it ever does in the PAC?  With ASU going D1 we hear about other PAC schools kicking the tires, and hockey has really grown out West, but the PAC schools are hurting for money because of bad TV deals.  The SEC is flush with cash and there are some ACHA club programs in the SEC with good followings.  I could legitimately see some SEC schools starting D1 programs.

You can only build so many football and baseball facilities.  At some point you have to spend that money in order to keep your tax exempt status.

I still think the Big Ten needs to really put some pressure on Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana to start D1 programs.  All schools have facilities in place, under construction, or have plans for facilities in various stages.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

Wouldn't it be ironic if D1 hockey took off in the SEC before it ever does in the PAC?  With ASU going D1 we hear about other PAC schools kicking the tires, and hockey has really grown out West, but the PAC schools are hurting for money because of bad TV deals.  The SEC is flush with cash and there are some ACHA club programs in the SEC with good followings.  I could legitimately see some SEC schools starting D1 programs.

You can only build so many football and baseball facilities.  At some point you have to spend that money in order to keep your tax exempt status.

I still think the Big Ten needs to really put some pressure on Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana to start D1 programs.  All schools have facilities in place, under construction, or have plans for facilities in various stages.

Did the Big Ten ever or would they consider UNO for Big Ten hockey membership?  

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

Kentucky has Rupp Arena for hockey if they wanted to.

If Mizzou wanted to add hockey they could ask the Avs owner or the Waltons to help fund the program. 

In the FWIW category, I attended a club game last weekend between Boise State and USC. It was entertaining but a loooong way from D1 hockey. There were a few pretty good skaters and a few that would have struggled to play on a decent high school team. USC played with only 8 skaters Friday night - the coach caught a bunch of them smoking pot Thursday night and suspended them  :whistling:

9 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

They have been unsuccessfully doing it since Penn State officially announced in 2010 that their program would move up to NCAA Division I hockey and shortly thereafter that the Big Ten Conference announced to begin sponsoring men's ice hockey in 2013–14 with six schools.

That lack of success is how UND got in the B1G (2017-18) as a hockey affiliate only.