SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

Sun Devil here. thought I'd chime in on what I've been hearing re: PAC schools

1. ASU is going to be breaking ground on a new on campus arena. Hearing it will seat between 4000-5000. Sources say they love the idea of seating 4242 in honor of Pat Tillman. With our recent success in beating some big teams (Denver last weekend) and getting some NHL drafted recruits, ASU is showing the PAC what's possible.

In terms of PAC schools that could go D1 easiest we have:
1. Colorado - they already play ACHA D1 and have a nice little on campus arena that could easily be expanded. They are also not going to be creating a baseball or softball team and a few higher up boosters have been talking to the administration about seriously looking at D1 Hockey.

2. Arizona - our hated rival but they also have 2 important components in place. They already play ACHA D1 and they already have a nice arena at the Tucson Convention Center.

3. Utah - haven't heard much since that article came out in 2014 but I could see them wanting to make the jump.

4. Oregon - Phil Knight $$. If they want to do it they just have to ask.

Finally, when are we going to see ASU and UND play?? Would love to have a home and home series with you guys.

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, DenverDevil said:

1. ASU is going to be breaking ground on a new on campus arena. Hearing it will seat between 4000-5000. Sources say they love the idea of seating 4242 in honor of Pat Tillman. With our recent success in beating some big teams (Denver last weekend) and getting some NHL drafted recruits, ASU is showing the PAC what's possible.

1. Colorado - they already play ACHA D1 and have a nice little on campus arena that could easily be expanded. They are also not going to be creating a baseball or softball team and a few higher up boosters have been talking to the administration about seriously looking at D1 Hockey.

2. Arizona - our hated rival but they also have 2 important components in place. They already play ACHA D1 and they already have a nice arena at the Tucson Convention Center.

3. Utah - haven't heard much since that article came out in 2014 but I could see them wanting to make the jump.

Finally, when are we going to see ASU and UND play?? Would love to have a home and home series with you guys.

Looks like the arena will be across from Desert Finical where the frats use to be.

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Utah has gone from <8000 registered hockey players prior to the Olympics to 54,000 today.  The rink system has similarly grown.

Couldn’t be too long before some school from Utah takes the plunge.

https://kslsports.com/423474/2002-olympics-spurred-massive-hockey-growth-in-utah/

Three schools already play in Olympic arenas; Weber State, BYU, and UVU.

6 hours ago, DenverDevil said:

Great having you here.

Used to think ASU was a shoe in for the NCHC when you get the new arena.  Not so sure anymore.

Denver, CC, UND and probably Omaha would be much in; favor of ASU.  But would ASU now, if other PAC12 schools get hockey?

ASU can gets its own western league with the Alaska’s and the WCHA.  Will ASU be that patient waiting for other PAC12 teams?

The other issue is who would also get in the NCHC?  Minn St-Mankato was proposed before but now St Thomas would get strong consideration because of the MSP market.

Miami and Western Michigan reportedly don’t want the league to go further west.

Any word or prognostications on UNLV?  UNLV would be liked by all the western school.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DenverDevil said:

I have wanted this ever since you guys moved up to NCAA Division I. We need to help newer programs get stronger so we don't lose them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Why wouldn't UND just rent the arena in Glendale and call it a day?  

Seattle is one of the most prosperous, beautiful places on the planet, it has a fellow PAC 12 school, it's about to have a state of the art facility, Seattle's aviation high school sends tons of grads to UND, I could go on. 

Meanwhile Gila River Arena is considered not nice enough for the Coyotes to stay viable by Bettman himself.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Seattle is one of the most prosperous, beautiful places on the planet, it has a fellow PAC 12 school, it's about to have a state of the art facility, Seattle's aviation high school sends tons of grads to UND, I could go on. 

Meanwhile Gila River Arena is considered not nice enough for the Coyotes to stay viable by Bettman himself.

Seattle will be a flop.  People travel partly for good weather imo.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

For some reason I thought Seattle was the next one in the works also.

The 2020 Nashville game will mark the first time that UND and Penn State play in men's hockey.

I'd bet UND is saving playing ASU for this same reason they have yet to play Penn State.

UND and Ralph Engelstad Arena officials began working on the Nashville game long before the Vegas game was played.

The Ralph staff is already working on the next game for 2022. Just waiting for the rumors to be confirmed.

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Seattle does not have nearly as many alumni as Arizona.  The retirees from NoDak could more than fill the arena.  

Gila River Arena is just inaccessible for commuters after work, with a long conmute.  Can hold midwinter games there, unlike Seattle.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Seattle does not have nearly as many alumni as Arizona.  The retirees from NoDak could more than fill the arena.  

Gila River Arena is just inaccessible for commuters after work, with a long conmute.  Can hold midwinter games there, unlike Seattle.

The 202 loop expansion is going to bypass downtown Phoenix.  

3 hours ago, Cratter said:

gghockeys insde soures are alwys twiiter

The guy that hangs out at Target Field a lot has always dreamed about a UND hockey game there....

I could see the state wanting it to be Minnesota vs Duluth or one of the other instate schools.

UAH has submitted a withdrawal letter to the WCHA. Would imagine the withdrawal would be a year later than the other seven.

https://www.adn.com/sports/uaa-athletics/2019/11/21/could-uaa-and-uaf-be-the-last-hockey-teams-left-in-the-wcha/

Arizona St won’t commit until it’s arena plans are firm, which may be shortly.

My prognosis of a future UAH league:

UAH, Austin Peay, Lindenwood, Liberty, High Point, FGCU

UAA and UAF need more western teams to sign up soon, or their programs are dead.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Add Orlando, Ft Lauderdale, LA, DC, Atlanta, Boston, NYC, Buffalo, Toronto, Vancouver, Denver, Pittsburgh, Philly, and Chicago for me. 

What about Cleveland, Flint and Indianapolis? You clearly just don't like Seattle. Love it or hate it, you're gonna hear a lot about it as they announce their team name and build what looks to be an awesome arena. 

• Upvote 1

I like Seattle... exposure there is beneficial. Not really a natural opponent..

DC would be cool as well.

Phoenix is an obvious I'd say...

When do we get another international game? Friendship 4 would be cool but not so much for recruit exposure.

Oslo?... Norway, not MN.......Stockholm?

What about Montreal, Toronto.. or Qubec City?