SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

10 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The money issue is the only one I see as a problem. That is a pretty hefty lump of change for leaving the NCHC.   If the Big Ten wants us bad eneought they would pay the exit fee though.  As far as being Villians for destroying the NCHC.  Who cares if we are doing what is best for the program and future.  We already got Vilified for killing the WCHA and creating the NCHC.  

Edi

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

I am convinced he copied and pasted somebody else's article into his.  Snippets and links are how it works, not the entire article.  

He did. And the article is behind a paywall. Very professional.

But since he did:

• The like-minded institution thing is huge, much bigger than the guy give credence to, though he does admit that it is an uphill battle. I'm also having a hard time buying UNO and UMD as back-ups. I'll agree with the B1G not wanting to stay at 7. I still say ASU (the second they get their arena figured out) is more likely.
  • UND was not "taken aback" when the NCHC looked at ASU. That whole paragraph is full of inaccuracies. They were fully aware of the plusses and minuses of ASU, as is everyone else.
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

He did. And the article is behind a paywall. Very professional.

But since he did:

• The like-minded institution thing is huge, much bigger than the guy give credence to, though he does admit that it is an uphill battle. I'm also having a hard time buying UNO and UMD as back-ups. I'll agree with the B1G not wanting to stay at 7. I still say ASU (the second they get their arena figured out) is more likely.
  • UND was not "taken aback" when the NCHC looked at ASU. That whole paragraph is full of inaccuracies. They were fully aware of the plusses and minuses of ASU, as is everyone else.

The arena was a big deal breaker for ASU being in the NCHC and I don't think the NCHC wanted Mankato so easier to tell them both no then tell one no.

If UND has so much pull like the guy says why isn't the Final Faceoff at the X.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

The way I look at it, I'd take Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin >>> DU, UMD, St. Cloud -- the rest in both conferences would be comparable from a "hype" standpoint. Like others have said, if it makes sense financially and there is an offer, I'd hope UND would take it.

To add to this, lets answer some questions.

• Do you believe that the Big 10 will stay at 7 teams? Yes / No
  • If No, do you believe another Big 10 school will add a hockey team? Yes / No

If you answer no to those first two questions, then it goes to who. There's no P5 school that would make sense (i.e. BC wouldn't leave Hockey East). You have Arizona State, but are they really an attractive option? With what is left, UND makes more sense than anybody else (i.e. Duluth, Omaha). I have no idea if it'll happen, but given that they most likely wouldn't want to stay at 7, it'd make sense to me.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

The money issue is the only one I see as a problem. That is a pretty hefty lump of change for leaving the NCHC.   If the Big Ten wants us bad eneought they would pay the exit fee though.  As far as being Villians for destroying the NCHC.  Who cares if we are doing what is best for the program and future.  We already got Vilified for killing the WCHA and creating the NCHC.  

Edi

I would guess that people would contact the Engelstads about the opportunity to move hockey conferences and the fee that would go along with it.  If the Engelstads thought it was something that would be best for the hockey program going forward, they might help defer those costs.  

15 minutes ago, cberkas said:

The arena was a big deal breaker for ASU being in the NCHC and I don't think the NCHC wanted Mankato so easier to tell them both no then tell one no.

Like the B1G, the NCHC doesn't want to be at an odd number. Mankato needed ASU to get added for them to have a chance. ASU still remains the key, they just need to get their arena situation straightened out. The B1G was looking just as hard at ASU as the NCHC was and both delayed making any decision for the same reason.

I've always said that I want nothing to do with Big Ten hockey, but I am definitely warming to the idea.

If that does happen, I would like to see regular non-conference games with Denver, and possibly Duluth or SCSU (maybe alternating years). Get CC on the schedule every few years, but that one isn't exactly a rivalry.

If you can keep DU, and some MN teams on the schedule, there is a huge benefit to the move. Money, obviously; but also getting to see MN and WI in conference games. The Michigan schools would be fun too; we've definitely had some great NCAA tournament games against Michigan. Ohio State doesn't do much for me, but they have certainly put together some decent teams together every couple years. Penn St doesn't do much for me either, but definitely a team that has become competitive quickly.

Not sure if this offer will actually happen, but UND would certainly have to look at the offer. I like the NCHC, but if we made the move to Big Ten, I'd hardly be upset.

If moved to the Big Ten would all games be available on the Big Ten app? And does anyone know if that is available on Roku? Love the NCHC app, and would hate to not be able to watch every game. Obviously some games would be on TV through the Big Ten Network, but I assume all other games would be available through the app.

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

If moved to the Big Ten would all games be available on the Big Ten app? And does anyone know if that is available on Roku? Love the NCHC app, and would hate to not be able to watch every game. Obviously some games would be on TV through the Big Ten Network, but I assume all other games would be available through the app.

Looks like it.

http://btn.com/2015/09/03/btn2go-app-now-available-on-roku-google-chromecast/

11 minutes ago, George M. Bluth said:

I've watched a few Gopher basketball and hockey games on the Big 10 Roku app this year and it's worked out well for me.

Good to hear. Obviously want to see UND make the best move for the program, but don't want to lose out on any viewing capabilities.

36 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Like the B1G, the NCHC doesn't want to be at an odd number. Mankato needed ASU to get added for them to have a chance. ASU still remains the key, they just need to get their arena situation straightened out. The B1G was looking just as hard at ASU as the NCHC was and both delayed making any decision for the same reason.

UND joins the BTHC, ASU joins the NCHC.  Both conferences will then be at an even 8.  Problem solved!!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Because Minnesota would logically draw more on a yearly basis being they are the hometown team.  Subsequently, the NCHC was forced to sign a contract with the Target Center if they wanted their tournament in Minneapolis.  I wouldn't doubt that after the contract is up, the "X" could be a very strong possibility.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The other aspect of the B1G is their Big Ten Academic Alliance (formerly the CIC)

That group, as a group, lobbies Congress for research dollars and collaborates on research. I suspect a former MN Congressman (The Honorable Mark R. Kennedy) has probably been lobbied by them at some point in his career. And knowing how Congressmen work, he probably still has all, ALL, the names and phone numbers, including presidents. 

I'm not saying UND would be any part of that; however, it's always good to know people who know people. 

OK, I know you.  What is that going to get me?  :D

9 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

There seems to be more support here now than there was last spring. This is huge for UND, have to join with the right terms. Also good for the U in general, potential for more research. Pres. Kennedy is the right guy for this job. He'll make his legacy with this move.

I don't expect any research opportunities to come out of being in the B1G.

4 hours ago, AJS said:

The way I look at it, I'd take Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin >>> DU, UMD, St. Cloud -- the rest in both conferences would be comparable from a "hype" standpoint. Like others have said, if it makes sense financially and there is an offer, I'd hope UND would take it.

I could care less about Michigan and I'd take UMD and SCSU before Wisconsin but that's probably because I know more people who went to those Minnesota schools.

• Upvote 1