SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

7 hours ago, southpaw said:

The CBSSN deal plays absolutely zero role in any expansion of the NCHC. CBSSN has no say and the power of the TV network in restricting other broadcasts has been dialed back significantly. 

Anyone who claims it does clearly has no idea what they are taking about. 

Ahem, paging Sioux Volley.... Game set and match.

• 3 weeks later...

Some hope for Arizona and Alabama to add hockey. With the announcement that Greg Byrne is leaving Arizona to be the AD at Alabama.

Justin Emerson@J15Emerson 7h7 hours ago

Greg Byrne never had any interest in adding hockey at Arizona. Maybe the new AD sees what's happening at ASU? Fascinating development

Will Elliott@Will_Elliott22 7h7 hours ago

Alright boss. We need a 5,000 seat hockey arena in Tuscaloosa for @AlabamaHockey. Preferably one with an open bar @Greg_Byrne

14 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Any comment from Alabama or Arizona club hockey coaches?

Nothing yet, the Alabama coach will talk about Alabama needing hockey from time to time.

Arizona hasn't said much but the Roadrunners have been trying to help them as much as they can. Tucson needs to build some hockey arenas, that will help Arizona with ice time. There is supposedly a plan in the works to build a practice facility for the Roadrunners that Arizona would use also.

1 minute ago, #MACtion said:

So just to get ahead of the curve.  I guess those who keep thinking the MAC is gonna start hockey because there are three of us, I can we can start the rumors flying about DU, UND, UNO and SUMMIT HOCKEY!!??

Looks like you just started a quilt.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, #MACtion said:

So just to get ahead of the curve.  I guess those who keep thinking the MAC is gonna start hockey because there are three of us, We can start the rumors flying about DU, UND, UNO and SUMMIT HOCKEY!!??

Lolz.   Everytime this comes up I think of the Big Ten Champs banners hung at the old Williams Arena, back when U of Minnesota was desperate for banners.

6 hours ago, #MACtion said:

So just to get ahead of the curve.  I guess those who keep thinking the MAC is gonna start hockey because there are three of us, We can start the rumors flying about DU, UND, UNO and SUMMIT HOCKEY!!??

Summit Hockey? No. ... Not until NDSU adds hockey. (The sound you just heard was heads in Fargo exploding. :D

Merging the conference offices of the NCHC and the Summit to save expenses (staff, office space, etc.)? Wouldn't be surprised to see it happen down the road. 

However, first the MVFC has to approve adding member number ELEVEN tomorrow. Eleven is not a great number for a FB only conference. 

• 3 weeks later...

A friend with a "source" within the Gophers said that UND will be offered a Big 10 spot after this season, if they say no then it will go to UMD or UNO (in that order).

As much as I'd rather keep the NCHC as is, has anyone heard anything about this from the Sioux hockey side? I could see the current administration doing it of it saves money or makes us more money.

3 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

A friend with a "source" within the Gophers said that UND will be offered a Big 10 spot after this season, if they say no then it will go to UMD or UNO (in that order).

As much as I'd rather keep the NCHC as is, has anyone heard anything about this from the Sioux hockey side? I could see the current administration doing it of it saves money or makes us more money.

The only way UND says yes is if they get some BTN money.

5 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Please don't tell me that Dilks article actually has people up in a tilly. The amount of inaccuracies in there is sad.

This isn't going to save money at all. Travel costs will go up. UND is a committed member institution of the NCHC; we have no reason to realign conferences even with our budget mess. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

Please don't tell me that Dilks article actually has people up in a tilly. The amount of inaccuracies in there is sad.

This isn't going to save money at all. Travel costs will go up. UND is a committed member institution of the NCHC; we have no reason to realign conferences even with our budget mess. 

How about sharing million$ in tv revenue?

It's very true. The B1G is doing research about it right now and are hoping to get the university presidents to unanimously approve UND for it at some point. The source said they expect UND to accept the offer if it reaches that far. It's all posted on Gopher Illustrated (Scout.com pay site) from a guy with deep sources. It's a pretty in depth thing for something that's in process right now. Minnesota (no surprise) and Wisconsin led the charge and all 6 B1G hockey AD's are on board to add UND. The guy used to break news on college football realignment stuff months (Nebraska and others) before it was announced in the media. He also said Notre Dame hockey was going to the B1G 60 days before it was announced. He was talking about the PJ Fleck to Minnesota stuff long before the media did as well. He has a very, very good source. The B1G AD's believe UND is becoming more interested in joining by the day and it's explained why in the info.

He said it will be regional/national news some time before the end of 2017 that UND is the primary target for the 8th member of B1G hockey.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

That's a fake news story. There's no truth to it. Don't you think that if this was true someone in Grand Forks would be reporting on this information?

Just now, GFG said:

It's very true. The B1G is doing research about it right now and are hoping to get the university presidents to unanimously approve UND for it at some point. The source said they expect UND to accept the offer if it reaches that far. It's all posted on Gopher Illustrated (Scount.com pay site) from a guy with deep sources. It's a pretty in depth thing for something that's in process right now. Minnesota (no surprise) and Wisconsin led the charge and all 6 B1G hockey AD's are on board to add UND. He used to break news on college football realignment stuff months (Nebraska and others) before it was announced in the media. He also said Notre Dame hockey was going to the B1G 60 days before it was announced. He was talking about the PJ Fleck to Minnesota stuff long before the media did as well. He has a very, very good source. The B1G AD's believe UND is becoming more interested in joining by the day and it's explained why in the info.

He said it will be regional/national news some time before the end of 2017 that UND is the primary target for the 8th member of B1G hockey.

Is it the same guy that you've been quoting over on Gopher Puck Live? 

6 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

How about sharing million$ in tv revenue?

Who cares? Has anybody considered the economy of Grand Forks if this change were to go through? Their scheduling is different. While Fridays and Saturdays are a majority they play many more Thursday and Sunday games, which wouldn't bode well for the Ralph. 

This isn't going to happen.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

Who cares? Has anybody considered the economy of Grand Forks if this change were to go through? Their scheduling is different. While Fridays and Saturdays are a majority they play many more Thursday and Sunday games, which wouldn't bode well for the Ralph. 

Definitely true in past BTHC seasons but Minnesota for example, has played zero games on Thursday this year. The game(s) they did play on Sunday this year, were away games that were out of conference.

1 minute ago, Melvin said:

If I am not mistaken, he's been quoted a lot but been right like once, the Notre Dame move. 

He was right about PJ Fleck going to Minnesota. About Nebraska to the B1G. Maryland to the B1G. Notre Dame hockey to the B1G. Coastal Carolina football going to FBS and quite a few more instances. All of that before it was "reported" by the media. In some instances it was literally months in advance. He also gives inside information about inside info going on with Big 12 expansion talks that's been going on for months and a lot of that info comes out later. Surprisingly just about everything he shares turns out true, and the one time I've seen something come out differently than he was saying he owned up to it and apologized. But his track record is phenomenal when it comes to "rumors" like this. 

He didn't guarantee UND would end up in the B1G yet, but they are currently the #1 target for the 8th team because there are no B1G schools looking to add hockey

• Upvote 1

Just now, GFG said:

He was right about PJ Fleck going to Minnesota. About Nebraska to the B1G. Maryland to the B1G. Notre Dame hockey to the B1G. Coastal Carolina football going to FBS and quite a few more instances. All of that before it was "reported" by the media. In some instances it was literally months in advance. He also gives inside information about inside info going on with Big 12 expansion talks that's been going on for months and a lot of that info comes out later. Surprisingly just about everything he shares turns out true, and the one time I've seen something come out differently than he was saying he owned up to it and apologized. But his track record is phenomenal when it comes to "rumors" like this. 

He didn't guarantee UND would end up in the B1G yet, but they are currently the #1 target for the 8th team because there are no B1G schools looking to add hockey

Making predictions in football are different than hockey. Don't you think that Schloss would've reported this if it was true?

9 minutes ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

Notice Minnesota didn't have games like that this year? The fans were pissed about it so they allowed Minnesota to have their games on Friday and Saturday nights. I can guarantee that if UND wants Friday-Saturday at home they would 100% get it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GFG said:

Yeah he has me believing. When he started the PJ Fleck thing I thought it was just a joke and somebody hoping it would happen but he was right on the money with pretty much everything that played out and he started putting out the information before the bowl game. I don't know who his sources are but they certainly seem to be pretty good.