SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

12 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

:lol:

Big pet peeve of mine is when someone answers a question with their opinion,  but acts like they actually know THE facts about it! He knows as much about it as you and I....Virg says....:lol:

i think i was keeping him from going to the bathroom so he just muttered something...probably didn't even hear me.

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i think i was keeping him from going to the bathroom so he just muttered something...probably didn't even hear me.

:lol:  You mean you didn't follow him into the john and buddy-up next to him at the urinal to get the "inside scoop?"

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Nebraska

http://huskercorner.com/2017/02/26/nebraska-huskers-making-case-division-nebraska-ice-hockey/

Not sure where this guy is getting his information on the B1G starting a women's conference.

Nebraska is not going DI in hockey without a donor. It's as simple as that. They're trying to get their football team back up to where they think it should be and it's likely going to get even more difficult with the schools in their division making big hires and putting more money into the sport. For the time being any money they have is going to be heading towards football. 

As for the B1G sponsoring women's hockey...I don't think anything has been said anywhere. It seems like more of a "I think this will happen" statement than it does a fact. 

On a side note, I didn't recall ever seeing anywhere how much money the B1G hockey schools get from BTN. While looking to see if the Googles could find anything about B1G women's hockey I saw another Nebraska article with a tweet from Let's Play Hockey in 2013:

I didn't realize they were receiving that much money. If that's what UND could get out of it then I think it turns into a no brainer.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

side note...does anyone know where hennesey goes to smoke during the game?

Go to Google maps. Take the earth view of REA. Zoom way in on REA. Find the big window (octagon shaped) over the pro shop. To the immediate west of that you'll see a small, narrow, railed area. From the sky it's concrete surfaced where the north and south of it is white (roofing material). You can reach that easily from the press box. 

13 hours ago, GFG said:

I didn't realize they were receiving that much money. If that's what UND could get out of it then I think it turns into a no brainer.

You assume they'd cut UND in on the hockey part of that. If I were negotiating for UND, that'd have to be part of the deal. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, GFG said:

Nebraska is not going DI in hockey without a donor. It's as simple as that. They're trying to get their football team back up to where they think it should be and it's likely going to get even more difficult with the schools in their division making big hires and putting more money into the sport. For the time being any money they have is going to be heading towards football. 

As for the B1G sponsoring women's hockey...I don't think anything has been said anywhere. It seems like more of a "I think this will happen" statement than it does a fact. 

On a side note, I didn't recall ever seeing anywhere how much money the B1G hockey schools get from BTN. While looking to see if the Googles could find anything about B1G women's hockey I saw another Nebraska article with a tweet from Let's Play Hockey in 2013:

Doesn't Nebraska have a deal with Omaha that they would never start a hockey program because it would kill off Omaha?  I don't know how well this would hold up.

29 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Doesn't Nebraska have a deal with Omaha that they would never start a hockey program because it would kill off Omaha?  I don't know how well this would hold up.

Omaha got rid of football and wrestling for Nebraska to not add hockey.

Nebraska has the John Breslow Ice Hockey Center right across the tracks from Pinnacle Bank Arena. John Breslow use to own the Coyotes.

The President of the University of Nebraska was at Baxter Arena when Omaha played Western Michigan.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Go to Google maps. Take the earth view of REA. Zoom way in on REA. Find the big window (octagon shaped) over the pro shop. To the immediate west of that you'll see a small, narrow, railed area. From the sky it's concrete surfaced where the north and south of it is white (roofing material). You can reach that easily from the press box. 

i would pay good money for a pic of hennesy sucking down a heater up there while "this week in the wcha" is playing.

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

You assume they'd cut UND in on the hockey part of that. If I were negotiating for UND, that'd have to be part of the deal. 

Notre Dame and Johns Hopkins have their own deals in their B1G affiliate sports, so imagine UND would be free to market it's home B1G games.  Fox Sports North would almost certainly be interested, as some here said was a rumor.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 0:53 PM, cowboys5xsbs said:

UNO hockey can stand on its own.  It will even be enhanced having a UNO vs UNL rivalry akin to the UNL vs Creighton rivalry in basketball.  I have talked to many hockey people down in the Omaha & Lincoln areas and have been told that Husker Hockey will happen, not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

There is no way/no how that UN-L will share any of the Big Ten branding with UNO.  Just no way they put UNO on the same level by allowing them to share that label.

I would love to see hockey at Iowa happen.  The biggest issue is the arena.  If/when Coralville comes on line that is a big hurdle that has been cleared.  An additional $2m per year of BTN money will help in funding a men's program.  Iowa has the money to do this, just do they have the desire.  That is the question.  Publically right now the best political thing would be to say no to adding hockey, privately, I would not be surprised if it is being explored.

If I am a BIG hockey school president I am pushing the issue that the BIG either adds UND as an affiliate or some schools better start carrying their weight to provide BTN programming by adding hockey programs.

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I wonder if Nebraska and Iowa are put off by the abundance of junior hockey in the area. You'd think they would relish the ease with which they could recruit but they may also see it as competition.

It's not just the USHL, the Minnesota Wild have their AHL team in Des Moines and their ECHL team in the Quad Cities.  If anything you would think all these franchises, at some pretty decent levels of hockey, would encourage them into believing NCAA D1 hockey would work in Iowa too. 

Iowa is like Nebraska, anything Hawkeyes will be supported.  Anybody I have spoken with about the subject believes it would work, it would be supported, and it would be, at worst, revenue neutral.  Then you ask why it hasn't happened and the response is either "because" or "it's not even a high school sport here", after just having a conversation about why it would work.  Just because they don't have a hockey program in, say, Mt. Pleasant, IA that means hockey can't work in Iowa. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

It's not just the USHL, the Minnesota Wild have their AHL team in Des Moines and their ECHL team in the Quad Cities.  If anything you would think all these franchises, at some pretty decent levels of hockey, would encourage them into believing NCAA D1 hockey would work in Iowa too. 

And the Wells Fargo center looks empty when only 6,000 people are there in a 15,000 seat arena.

Apparently some people in Virginia are building this for only 20M.  Doesn't seem possible, but arenas may not be as expensive as everyone thinks?  Seems like a D1 facility to me, unfortunately its in the middle of nowhere.  4,200 seats.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2016/11/07/plans-solidify-for-an-international-skating-center.html

A close-up view of a proposed hockey rink with 4,200 stadium seats planned for the 100,000-square-foot ION International Training Center in the Leesburg area.

The overall plan for the ION International Training Center calls for two rinks and a host of other amenities. The hockey rink is to be encircled by 4,200 seats.

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Apparently some people in Virginia are building this for only 20M.  Doesn't seem possible, but arenas may not be as expensive as everyone thinks?  Seems like a D1 facility to me, unfortunately its in the middle of nowhere.  4,200 seats.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2016/11/07/plans-solidify-for-an-international-skating-center.html

A close-up view of a proposed hockey rink with 4,200 stadium seats planned for the 100,000-square-foot ION International Training Center in the Leesburg area.

The overall plan for the ION International Training Center calls for two rinks and a host of other amenities. The hockey rink is to be encircled by 4,200 seats.

Leesburg is on the outer edge of D.C. 

11 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Beautiful facility.  I can think of several USHL markets that could use something like that. 

I'm not buying the $20 million price tag though.  That seems pretty low.

If 20 million is the price tag, then they should send a group up to Moorhead and out to Minot, not sure about North Dakota's legislature, but I would be you could get a state bonding bill to help pay for something like this in Moorhead. Moorhead state may have shelved plans for D-1 hockey for now, but they haven't scrapped them. Still, if the price tag is that low, this is the kind of thing that could be a boon to schools that are on the fence about expanding. Create an option to replace the Figure skating rink and an Olympic sheet with conference rooms and ballroom space or an auditorium, and you have an attractive convention center.

12 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Beautiful facility.  I can think of several USHL markets that could use something like that. 

I'm not buying the $20 million price tag though.  That seems pretty low.

In that part of Virginia, developers often have to entice the county with some kind of jewel project in order to win the right for other adjacent developments.  The land cost there would be astronomical, so that cant be the full cost and probably low balled on materials.