SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

Just now, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Could be a problem for the WCHA if Mich and Mich St start WH, or some other B1G shcools, once the number of teams reaches 6.

It would help kill women's hockey at UND if the B1G started women hockey (that's if UND doesn't join the B1G).

21 minutes ago, cberkas said:

It would help kill women's hockey at UND if the B1G started women hockey (that's if UND doesn't join the B1G).

Never taught of that angle, that's potentially pretty huge, that could play into the B1G wanting us even more. 

Maybe WH is a type of sport that could make money from TV if it were in the B1G.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Never taught of that angle, that's potentially pretty huge, that could play into the B1G wanting us even more. 

Maybe WH is a type of sport that could make money from TV if it were in the B1G.

Women's hockey isn't on TV, except the NCHC.tv will show games once and a while.

UND should jump at the chance to join the BIG in hockey.....would elevate the status of the university...on an academic and research level...(look beyond hockey)....Also a chance to cash in on some BTN coin....may even be a savior, down the road, for women's hockey.....

Some on this site, don't get the BIG picture (pun intended)!!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The other aspect of the B1G is their Big Ten Academic Alliance (formerly the CIC)

That group, as a group, lobbies Congress for research dollars and collaborates on research. I suspect a former MN Congressman (The Honorable Mark R. Kennedy) has probably been lobbied by them at some point in his career. And knowing how Congressmen work, he probably still has all, ALL, the names and phone numbers, including presidents. 

I'm not saying UND would be any part of that; however, it's always good to know people who know people. 

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Man, I can't wait to trade games with DU, UMD, and the Cloud for Penn St, Ohio State, and Mich State...that way we can end up just like Minnesota; having a half full barn during the home conference schedule. ;)

That wouldn't cause fans to stop going to games! I would love to have Minnesota on the schedule every year again. 

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Man, I can't wait to trade games with DU, UMD, and the Cloud for Penn St, Ohio State, and Mich State...that way we can end up just like Minnesota; having a half full barn during the home conference schedule. ;)

The way I look at it, I'd take Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin >>> DU, UMD, St. Cloud -- the rest in both conferences would be comparable from a "hype" standpoint. Like others have said, if it makes sense financially and there is an offer, I'd hope UND would take it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

The way I look at it, I'd take Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin >>> DU, UMD, St. Cloud -- the rest in both conferences would be comparable from a "hype" standpoint. Like others have said, if it makes sense financially and there is an offer, I'd hope UND would take it.

A lot of people didn't even want St. Cloud invited into the NCHC, and if you believe the report that Duluth would be invited next if UND turned it down, then it's basically a wash because CC, Miami, and Western don't inspire much passion from our fanbase either. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

A lot of people didn't even want St. Cloud invited into the NCHC, and if you believe the report that Duluth would be invited next if UND turned it down, then it's basically a wash because CC, Miami, and Western don't inspire much passion from our fanbase either. 

This.  Trading CC, Miami, and WM for Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan State. A wash as far as fans go.  

33 minutes ago, Mhockey said:

That wouldn't cause fans to stop going to games! I would love to have Minnesota on the schedule every year again. 

I would love to have Michigan on a regular basis.  We don't play them much but it is a good time when we do.  Also miss the Wiski games they were pretty fun as well.