SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

The NCHC isn't worried about Miami and Western Michigan leaving for a hypothetical CCHA. The buyout is there to keep Miami or Western Michigan form leaving the NCHC, the buyout is there more to keep North Dakota and Denver from leaving the NCHC for the B1G. The only way those two leave for the B1G is if the get B1G Network money.

Alabama has made it known what conference they want to be in without saying anything. Alabama fan base has said they want to be in the NCHC. The only way Alabama would want to be in the WCHA is to play UAH 4 times a year. 

Buffalo would join the AHA. Syracuse who would be a good add to the NCHC, but would be most likely added to Hockey East.

1 minute ago, cberkas said:

The NCHC isn't worried about Miami and Western Michigan leaving for a hypothetical CCHA. The buyout is there to keep Miami or Western Michigan form leaving the NCHC, the buyout is there more to keep North Dakota and Denver from leaving the NCHC for the B1G. The only way those two leave for the B1G is if the get B1G Network money.

Alabama has made it known what conference they want to be in without saying anything. Alabama fan base has said they want to be in the NCHC. The only way Alabama would want to be in the WCHA is to play UAH 4 times a year. 

Buffalo would join the AHA. Syracuse who would be a good add to the NCHC, but would be most likely added to Hockey East.

So from your previous posts, you say Alabama, Syracuse, Ariz St, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Illinois St, and Mankato would join the NCHC and make it 16 Teams?  Talk about a travel intensive conference.  Where would the tournament Be?

At some point, the NCHC should divide once it goes beyond 10 just to maintain a home and away with rivals.  The added benefit is lower travel and another autobid.  A hockey conference shouldn't go above 10 unless it has single game series like Hockey East.

22 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

A MAC could force it on Miami or W Mich to play in the MAC.  The MAC is worth a hell of a lot more than the NCHC, and it's just a G5 conference.  

Circumstances can change quickly, but that is denied here.

The MAC has had 4 hockey teams and they could have tried to create a MAC hockey conference but that didn't happen.

One minute it's a new CCHA conference headed by a MAC school now it's a MAC conference.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So from your previous posts, you say Alabama, Syracuse, Ariz St, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Illinois St, and Mankato would join the NCHC and make it 16 Teams?  Talk about a travel intensive conference.  Where would the tournament Be?

At some point, the NCHC should divide once it goes beyond 10 just to maintain a home and away with rivals.  The added benefit is lower travel and another autobid.  A hockey conference shouldn't go above 10 unless it has single game series like Hockey East.

The NCHC could have series like Hockey East. If the NCHC grows to 16 teams they could have two different teams on the same weekend and the games could be worth two games in conference points. That's if those teams only play once a year.

Now 4 of those teams are in the PAC12, so they would go to a PAC12 conference when they have 6 teams. If I was the PAC12 I'd wait until they have 8 teams before starting a conference. We've all seen how starting a conference with 6 teams has worked for the B1G. 

There are teams that will end up in the WCHA even if they would want to be in the NCHC. The NCHC could have taken ASU and Mankato but they didn't. They wanted ASU and not Mankato, but didn't want an odd number of teams.

The NCHC conference tournament would be in St.Paul at the X, that move will happen soon. 

At some point the NCAA tournament will have to expand. The easy way to do that is add two more teams to each regional giving the #1 and #2 seeds in each regional a bye. 

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Read the Miami board and was just repeating what they posted.  You are only one opinion and you have been against PAC12 schools.

If Buffalo started hockey and Alabama approached the MAC about sponsoring hockey,  WMU and  Miami would be gone.  Pretty simple.

Just keep swinging away. 

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

A MAC could force it on Miami or W Mich to play in the MAC.  The MAC is worth a hell of a lot more than the NCHC, and it's just a G5 conference.  

Circumstances can change quickly, but that is denied here.

I'd sure hope they wouldn't start a MAC conference with 4 teams, that would make even the Little 6 look impressive!

In your scenario, every team would make the conference tourney semi-finals :lol:

Want to bet this hypothetical travesty of a conference doesn't get an auto-bid? No way this would ever be feasible.

16 hours ago, cberkas said:

I don't know where the Rutgers hockey GM came up with Colorado looking to move up.

Once there is a mention of a ACHA team looking to move up to NCAA hockey, Rutgers is there to talk about how they are looking to move up.

I don't doubt there have been discussions.  We don't know at what level and how significant.  It's better than talking contraction.

Arizona State ACHA budget was $ 250,000 in 2014.  Central Oklahoma's budget was $ 90,000 in 2014.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/13/sports/hockey/in-club-hockey-league-meager-funding-doesnt-kill-appetite-for-competition.html

13 minutes ago, planet2county said:

I don't doubt there have been discussions.  We don't know at what level and how significant.  It's better than talking contraction.

Arizona State ACHA budget was $ 250,000 in 2014.  Central Oklahoma's budget was $ 90,000 in 2014.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/13/sports/hockey/in-club-hockey-league-meager-funding-doesnt-kill-appetite-for-competition.html

Oklahoma and Central Oklahoma have been pretty good lately. 

1 hour ago, Goon said:

There isn't but for some reason, a few people that aren't in the know think that re-alignment is on the way. 

UNLV will be the next school to make the jump, all the pieces are there and Foley will help out on the financial side. It would be cool if the Engelstads have been aproched by Khan about the hockey program.

I do agree that a big re-alignment isn't happening soon. 

15 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

You are the supposed expert in realignment because you watch games is the press box.  Nobody has broken stories like you have.

There's a difference between breaking stories and making up stuff. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Goon said:

There's a difference between breaking stories and making up stuff. 

I plainly remember you chastising me as I said the Big Ten would form it's own hockey conference if given six teams. This was before Pegula and Penn State.

How did that exactly work out for you?   You pretend you know it all and you don't.

6 minutes ago, #MACtion said:

Besides needing a minimum 3 more MAC teams needing to add hockey (there are not 3 teams finacially able to even if they wanted), the MAC has NO incentive to want to do it and the MAC wouls be kicking a hornets nest with Miami and WMU who wants no part in it.

The MAC is not the Big Ten or even the PAC12.  We dont have our own revenue generating network that needs progra ming or could broadcast our games, or makes us money.  That is the sole reason for the BTHC.  The MAC has none of that.  A MAC (or nCCHA) would have no broadcast partners (besides maybe espn3 or regional cable), no chance at additional revenue (like the equity that NCHC.tv and CBS is building), no conference tournament revenue, hurt our pairwise and competitiveness, and no fan interest.

Anybody who takes 5 minutes to logically think through this situation will understand there is no desire to leave the NCHC in any scenario.  The only possible scenarios that get Miami to look at other options is if the NCHC takes a huge hit by losing Denver and UND or if the BTHC needed an 8th and offered Miami a perpetual associate conference slot for hockey (not a term contract).  But I dont see the BTHC as a realistic possibility as I believe at least one more Big schools will start hockey soon and if they were desperate for an 8th they would have taken Arizona State.

This non-sense needs to stop.

Get comfortable, WMU and Miami are making ourselves at home and staying for the long-haul.

The NCHC is the best conference already and the momentum that college hockey in general is building and the wisdom, hard work, and vision from Fenton will only ensure even bigger and brighter things to come.

You yourself don't want PAC12 teams.  The travel across four time zones will create tremendous friction.  The only league with that kind of travel is the WCHA, which is full if friction.  Are you going to deny that too?

You pretend you know it all and you don't.

Seriously, this coming from you is too much.  It is one thing to speculate.  It is another to state speculation as fact. Being a message board warrior does not make someone   an expert to every program in the country.

With that, Merry Christmas to you and yours.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, planet2county said:

You pretend you know it all and you don't.

Seriously, this coming from you is too much.  It is one thing to speculate.  It is another to state speculation as fact. Being a message board warrior does not someone make  an expert to every program in the country.

With that, Merry Christmas to you and yours.

There are too many here that belive that nothing ever changes.  When the only thing that is constant is change.  Somehow even pointing out possible change is sinful behavior in some eyes.

Merry Christmas and may you all be blessed as a result of coming changes in all lives.

10 hours ago, #MACtion said:

Get comfortable, WMU and Miami are making ourselves at home and staying for the long-haul.

The NCHC is the best conference already and the momentum that college hockey in general, is building and the wisdom, hard work, and vision from Fenton will only ensure even bigger and brighter things to come.

I agree... I don't think there's call to move the two MAC schools to a fictitious conference out east. Maybe, at some point, BGSU moves to the NCHC. I do think the NCHC is going to be a 10-12 team conference in the future. But that's yet to be determined, I don't see a CCHA ever coming back. That's a bad pipe dream by some. Look who's reporting the rumors. 

Lastly, listen to what Josh Fenton is saying, not Sioux Volley. Fenton has said that his main concern is making sure that the eight schools in the NCHC are taken care of first and in good standing. 

On December 23, 2016 at 6:32 PM, SiouxVolley said:

You are the supposed expert in realignment because you watch games is the press box.  Nobody has broken stories like you have.

Wow! Not once have I said I was an expert. You're insecure. 

Have a merry Christmas. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2016 at 11:30 AM, SiouxVolley said:

You yourself don't want PAC12 teams.  The travel across four time zones will create tremendous friction.  The only league with that kind of travel is the WCHA, which is full if friction.  Are you going to deny that too?

And you, yourself, seem to be utterly convinced that a major conference realignment is in the works, when there's no apparent reason (based on all the facts presented within this thread) to realistically believe one is actually coming. Again, NCHC member institutions were delivered the expectation to stay committed to the conference, and moreover their own respective hockey programs, when granted membership initially. Jumping ship this quick would be a slap in the face to the conference, especially with so many positives that have come of the NCHC since its inception. Success is measured by more than what's reflected in the win and loss column, and I'd say all of our teams have found a great benefit in being a part of the NCHC. Some schools might have greater costs, sure, but it doesn't seem to be enough to say adios. 

Hellraisers, I tell ya.

• Upvote 1

The CBSSN deal plays absolutely zero role in any expansion of the NCHC. CBSSN has no say and the power of the TV network in restricting other broadcasts has been dialed back significantly. 

Anyone who claims it does clearly has no idea what they are taking about. 

• Upvote 2