SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

I don't expect any research opportunities to come out of being in the B1G.

We go after research $, Being in the B1G which is the biggest organized research machine in the country, should help us. Like hanging around the right crowd. The reseacrh part of the B1G most likely won't be availble to us, but we'd be going in the right direction.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

We go after research $, Being in the B1G which is the biggest organized research machine in the country, should help us. Like hanging around the right crowd. The reseacrh part of the B1G most likely won't be availble to us, but we'd be going in the right direction.

But UND wouldn't be a B1G school there'd be an affiliate in hockey. When we were in the WCHA with other B1G schools did UND get any research money?

If UND Is trying to get more research money then put people in place to get that money, if they want to on par with B1G schools then make it as hard to go to UND as it is to go to other B1G schools.

1 hour ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I could care less about Michigan and I'd take UMD and SCSU before Wisconsin but that's probably because I know more people who went to those Minnesota schools.

One row at a time, if President Kennedy chose which team UND would rather play every year, which would it be?

B1G                    vs                        NCHC

MN                                                 Mn Duluth

Wis                                                 Denver

Mich                                               Omaha

Mich St                                           St. Cloud

Ohio St                                           W Mich

Penn St                                          Miami Oh

Notre Dame                                   Col C

Every selection could possible be in the left column.

The 7 teams on the left had higher average attendance last season than the 7 on the right, by nearly something like 1,800. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, cberkas said:

But UND wouldn't be a B1G school there'd be an affiliate in hockey. When we were in the WCHA with other B1G schools did UND get any research money?

If UND Is trying to get more research money then put people in place to get that money, if they want to on par with B1G schools then make it as hard to go to UND as it is to go to other B1G schools.

Yes, affliate of the B1G hockey conference.

Notre Dame (affliate) wanted to keep it's own advertising rights and did. UND might want to get in on B1G's advertising part for hockey????

I think this guy from gopher whatever is mistakenly thinking that Kennedy being a MN guy would fawn over an invitation to the PIG10.  IMHO, he is wrong.  Why would UND leave a conference where hockey is the sole focus for a conference where hockey is behind football, men's and women's basketball and possibly other sports too.  Don't get me wrong, hockey is ok in MN and possibly WI. The other institutions don't have that priority like NCHC schools do. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

I think this guy from gopher whatever is mistakenly thinking that Kennedy being a MN guy would fawn over an invitation to the PIG10.  IMHO, he is wrong.  Why would UND leave a conference where hockey is the sole focus for a conference where hockey is behind football, men's and women's basketball and possibly other sports too.  Don't get me wrong, hockey is ok in MN and possibly WI. The other institutions don't have that priority like NCHC schools do. 

Because we have the opportunity to make alot more money in the Big 10 than we are currently with the NCHC.  On top of that to be associated with the Big 10 and the likes of Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. is a net positive.  

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, UND1983 said:

This.  Trading CC, Miami, and WM for Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan State. A wash as far as fans go.  

Most people at the Ralph aren't hardcore SiouxSports always watch away game type fans...you ask them if they'd rather play Western Michigan or Michigan State. They'd pick Michigan State.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

One row at a time, if President Kennedy chose which team UND would rather play every year, which would it be?

B1G                    vs                        NCHC

MN                                                 Mn Duluth

Wis                                                 Denver

Mich                                               Omaha

Mich St                                           St. Cloud

Ohio St                                           W Mich

Penn St                                          Miami Oh

Notre Dame                                   Col C

Every selection could possible be in the left column.

The 7 teams on the left had higher average attendance last season than the 7 on the right, by nearly something like 1,800. 

Funny, I would pick two from the left and five from the right...

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Cratter said:

If UND is offered the Big Ten, no way they'll turn it down. Nothing to debate.

That's a pretty blanket statement. UND won't accept it "just because", the offer would have to make financial sense and come with protective guarantees for UND, both of which would require B1G presidents to give ground to a University they see as at least a step below them.

• Upvote 1

I've been hearing on the curb in GF, since last summer, that this conversation has been going on. The B1Ghc has exasperated it's talks with other B1G schools about starting Div I hockey. They publicly announced last summer the ASU was not a choice. They want an 8th team, which is us, Duluth and Omaha are negotiating tools.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

That's a pretty blanket statement. UND won't accept it "just because", the offer would have to make financial sense and come with protective guarantees for UND, both of which would require B1G presidents to give ground to a University they see as at least a step below them.

Financial sense...one exit fee. The rest would be essentially the same. Keep their own tv contract minus any national games (cbs vs big ten). Midco contract would probably be more valuable and possible have to compete with Fox Sports.

Don't accept and they risk losing money thanks to the Big poaching another NCHC team and making the conference weaker. The ball starts rolling.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I've been hearing on the curb in GF, since last summer, that this conversation has been going on. The B1Ghc has exasperated it's talks with other B1G schools about starting Div I hockey. They publicly announced last summer the ASU was not a choice. They want an 8th team, which is us, Duluth and Omaha are negotiating tools.

If the B1G wants an 8th team, I really don't see a team other than UND that would even have a chance of getting an invite.  The BTHC really has no other option if they want to make it an 8 team league IMO.  And UND needs to be aware of this when negotiating any deal.  It's not a big bargaining chip, but it is something.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, GFG said:

I believe you're correct. They won't take ASU. There's a reason the B1G was the first conference out of the running for them. They wanted nothing to do with them because they don't want more unproven programs in their conference. They want a strong conference that the fans will get behind and the best way to do that is to add UND. There's no other choice that's even a close 2nd. UMD and Omaha as negotiating tools is a strong move because it makes UND officials consider the fact that if they say no to joining they're very likely going to lose one of those 2 conference mates. And I think you can cross out Omaha, because if they actually want UMD they'll get them in a heart beat. They're part of the University of Minnesota system and would jump at the chance to be in the B1G with Minnesota. Would UND officials want to stay in the NCHC with no UMD and an addition of either ASU or Mankato? IMO, interest takes a big drop for them at that point.

Think you are giving UMD way too much credit. They are a strong program, but I don't think if you swap them out for Mankato it really makes a difference at all. Honestly, outside of UND, I don't think there's one single NCHC program that really matters to the stability of the league if they were to leave. I'm only saying UND, because without them, the conference tourney would be a complete bust.

6 minutes ago, AJS said:

Think you are giving UMD way too much credit. They are a strong program, but I don't think if you swap them out for Mankato it really makes a difference at all. Honestly, outside of UND, I don't think there's one NCHC program that really matters to the stability of the league if they were to leave. I'm only saying UND, because w/out them, the conference tourney would be a complete bust.

Everyone knows UND is the NCHC. But you can truly say you get as excited to play Mankato as you do Duluth? UMD is arguably UND's biggest conference draw now. I would say it's basically a fact that UMD and Denver are easily the top 2. You would be completely okay with dropping UMD and having Mankato take their place? Because I think you'd be in the minority

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, GFG said:

Everyone knows UND is the NCHC. But you can truly say you get as excited to play Mankato as you do Duluth? UMD is arguably UND's biggest conference draw now. I would say it's basically a fact that UMD and Denver are easily the top 2. You would be completely okay with dropping UMD and having Mankato take their place? Because I think you'd be in the minority

I might throw SCSU in there because they have been competitive the last few years so I look forward to those games.  Mankato would just be another game and is just a bad team in general and would be another pushover in the league.  

9 minutes ago, GFG said:

No, but that wasn't my argument. If I were to chose to either have Duluth or Mankato in UND's conference, it would be Duluth. Duluth is a stronger program than Mankato, but it wouldn't make a difference financially to UND. They would sell the same amount of tickets regardless. Also, we are talking one hockey series at home a year. So, I'm with you that Duluth is a stronger program, but it also wouldn't really affect anything to do with the conference if it were to happen.

• Upvote 1