SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

1 hour ago, Goon said:

Not one thing you've predicted has come true. The agreement with CBS has nothing to do with the exit fee. 

I said on this board like eight years ago that UND and the Big Sky were set in stone before we were invited

Posters like you and others laughed at it, but it came true.  Same thing is happening now, but patience is needed.

A CCHA will inevitably reform with CHA schools and BGSU at its core.  Later after it is more established, WMU and Miami will move because they hate Mountain and Pacific schools, which most of the NCHC love.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

I said on this board like eight years ago that UND and the Big Sky were set in stone before we were invited

Posters like you and others laughed at it, but it came true.  Same thing is happening now, but patience is needed.

A CCHA will inevitably reform with CHA schools and BGSU at its core.  Later after it is more established, WMU and Miami will move because they hate Mountain and Pacific schools, which most of the NCHC love.

With the amount of speculation you throw at the wall, of course you might get lucky with one of them coming true. :silly:

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

With the amount of speculation you throw at the wall, of course you might get lucky with one of them coming true. :silly:

Either UND, UMD, PSU, Denver, Harvard, Union, BU, Mass Lowell, Ohio State, WMU, Minnesota, BC, ND, Cornell, SLU, Vermont, SCSU, BSU, QU, or UNO will win the title this year... book it

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

So you and others would prefer to be uninformed then?  I tried to keep this board informed on Big12 expansion, which was long winded, and they didn't add anyone.  So all those posts by me was just stuff thrown on a wall that didn't come true was useless?

If a fire is going on a block or two away, it is courteous to let your neighbors know.  Apparently you disagree.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

I find your pontifications amusing. Seriously, you can read an article that and then spin it to -> the BSC is going FBS football or BSC Schools to the WAC.  When it said nothing of the sort. Predicting UND to the BSC is amusing because they really only had two choices Summit or BSC. So that was an easy one. 

Lastly, former CCHA schools would be taking a step back if they joined a league with some castoffs from the CHA. That's like going from the SEC to Conference USA or the MAC. The NCHC is a high profile league. Reconstituting a league with a couple of Eastern WCHA schools and CHA schools is a bad idea. Think of it this way, your school can play Denver, UND, and UMD or you can play Ferris State, RMU, and Lake State. Yeah I thought so. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxFanatic said:

If you through enough crap against the wall, eventually something will stick to the wall. 

1 hour ago, Goon said:

I find your pontifications amusing. Seriously, you can read an article that and then spin it to -> the BSC is going FBS football or BSC Schools to the WAC.  When it said nothing of the sort. Predicting UND to the BSC is amusing because they really only had two choices Summit or BSC. So that was an easy one. 

Lastly, former CCHA schools would be taking a step back if they joined a league with some castoffs from the CHA. That's like going from the SEC to Conference USA or the MAC. The NCHC is a high profile league. Reconstituting a league with a couple of Eastern WCHA schools and CHA schools is a bad idea. Think of it this way, your school can play Denver, UND, and UMD or you can play Ferris State, RMU, and Lake State. Yeah I thought so. 

You want to be taken seriously, but then compare the SEC, which takes home more than $20 mill per team in TV contracts per year, with the NCHC, which takes home less than $1 mill per year total.  That's absolutely laughable, something a grade school kid would say and adults in the room would laugh at.

The WMU and Miami fans don't get excited about UMD or Denver, as they don't relate to them and have never been to their arenas. Those fans want regional action, not action over 1000 miles away. They want a regional tournament in Detroit or nearby, not Minneapolis.  A MAC league would be ideal for them, as it is in all other sports.  

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

You want to be taken seriously, but then compare the SEC, which takes home more than $20 mill per team in TV contracts per year, with the NCHC, which takes home less than $1 mill per year total.  That's absolutely laughable, something a grade school kid would say and adults in the room would laugh at.

The WMU and Miami fans don't get excited about UMD or Denver, as they don't relate to them and have never been to their arenas. Those fans want regional action, not action over 1000 miles away. They want a regional tournament in Detroit or nearby, not Minneapolis.  A MAC league would be ideal for them, as it is in all other sports.  

That's a pretty big generalization, I don't think the Miami poster on here MACtion would agree.  I'd be curious to hear what the WMU user BroncoHeard thinks.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Actually, I was comparing the NCHC to the SEC because of stature, in three years play the league is home to one NCAA title and and three third place finishes (Frozen Four Semifinalest)... However you keep referring to TV deals. Which has nothing to do with the conversation of league exit fees. When you actually predict something correctly then come back and beat your chest. Again, Western Michigan was all but begging to get into the NCHC IRC, so was SCSU. Let me guess, there's a BSC hockey league coming soon? Or is the NCHC going FBS?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

That's a pretty big generalization, I don't think the Miami poster on here MACtion would agree.  I'd be curious to hear what the WMU user BroncoHeard thinks.

He has no idea what he's talking about. 

Some of the teams at this year’s A.C.H.A. tournament believe that with the right financing, facilities and support, they could join Penn State at hockey’s highest level. But, as Battista acknowledged, “there aren’t a lot of Terry Pegulas out there.”  

I wouldn't get to excited about Colorado.  I haven't seen any news articles from Colorado papers regarding impending move.  I can go back and produce articles regarding Iowa St., Rhode Island, and Navy looking to going NCAA  D1 hockey.  Battista at Penn State was trying to get a NCAA program going since the 70's.  Murdoch  at Iowa State was looking to go D1 about as long. 

This is similar to Wichita St to AAC.  I have seen nothing in the Cincy paper about a move or on the AAC blog at ESPN. The sources mentioned in the blog were probably a couple assistant basketball coaches sitting by the pool drinking a beer and speculating how the conference could increase its RPI.

4 minutes ago, planet2county said:

Some of the teams at this year’s A.C.H.A. tournament believe that with the right financing, facilities and support, they could join Penn State at hockey’s highest level. But, as Battista acknowledged, “there aren’t a lot of Terry Pegulas out there.”  

I wouldn't get to excited about Colorado.  I haven't seen any news articles from Colorado papers regarding impending move.  I can go back and produce articles regarding Iowa St., Rhode Island, and Navy looking to going NCAA.  Battista at Penn State was trying to get a NCAA program going since the 70's.  Murdoch  at Iowa State was looking to go D1 about as long. 

This is similar to Wichita St to AAC.  I have seen nothing in the Cincy paper about a move or on the AAC blog at ESPN. The sources mentioned in the blog were probably a couple assistant basketball coaches sitting by the pool drinking a beer and speculating how the conference could increase its RPI.

I don't know where the Rutgers hockey GM came up with Colorado looking to move up.

Once there is a mention of a ACHA team looking to move up to NCAA hockey, Rutgers is there to talk about how they are looking to move up.

7 hours ago, #MACtion said:

As somebody who actually attended Miami, attended Miami hockey games, and was involved with Miami Athletics as a player, I can tell you who Miami fans do NOT care about.  And that is the old CCHA teama minus the Big Ten teams and ND.  Nobody cares about Northern Michigan or pick your Alaska or Ferris State...  Nobody.  And fans are caring less about BG with whom I think gets too much credit as Miami fans actually caring about.  A "new" CCHA would be a garbage dumpster-fire league that not one fan would care to go watch. 

Nothing like reading SiouxVolley act like he knows anything about Miami.  Miami fans care way more about Denver or Omaha than Ferris freaking State.  Even the old pissed off BG fans are over the whole new CCHA thing.  Literally only SiouxVolley / NoDak pushes that false rumor on every message board (uscho, csnbbs, sioux sports) 

I kind of figured that might be your take. Sure, the travel isn't ideal but a rebooted CCHA without Mich, MSU, or OSU doesn't sound like much of a league.

In a way, it would be like UND clamoring to get back into the WCHA as it currently stands.  The NCHC is a great conference run by very capable people and I think the majority of fans recognize that.

3 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I kind of figured that might be your take. Sure, the travel isn't ideal but a rebooted CCHA without Mich, MSU, or OSU doesn't sound like much of a league.

In a way, it would be like UND clamoring to get back into the WCHA as it currently stands.  The NCHC is a great conference run by very capable people and I think the majority of fans recognize that.

And most of us really value Miami's presence in the conference.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, #MACtion said:

As somebody who actually attended Miami, attended Miami hockey games, and was involved with Miami Athletics as a player, I can tell you who Miami fans do NOT care about.  And that is the old CCHA teama minus the Big Ten teams and ND.  Nobody cares about Northern Michigan or pick your Alaska or Ferris State...  Nobody.  And fans are caring less about BG with whom I think gets too much credit as Miami fans actually caring about.  A "new" CCHA would be a garbage dumpster-fire league that not one fan would care to go watch. 

Nothing like reading SiouxVolley act like he knows anything about Miami.  Miami fans care way more about Denver or Omaha than Ferris freaking State.  Even the old pissed off BG fans are over the whole new CCHA thing.  Literally only SiouxVolley / NoDak pushes that false rumor on every message board (uscho, csnbbs, sioux sports) 

Read the Miami board and was just repeating what they posted.  You are only one opinion and you have been against PAC12 schools.

If Buffalo started hockey and Alabama approached the MAC about sponsoring hockey,  WMU and  Miami would be gone.  Pretty simple.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Read the Miami board and was just repeating what they posted.  You are the only one opinion and you have.been against PAC12 schools.

If Buffalo started hockey and Alabama approached the MAC about sponsoring hockey,  WMU and  Miami would be gone.  Pretty simple.

Doubt it.  Although travel savings by playing Alabama would be just great, huh?  

• Upvote 1

The SEC has been a power for years but Ga Tech and Tulane left it. If there had been money in it then, they wouldn't have left. There isn't any monetary comparison now with the NCHC and SEC.  That what President's have to think about.

The NCHC is probably most concerned about Miami and W Mich leaving which would leave the league at six teams.  That's why the exit fee is so high.  Once the league get to 10, losing 2 teams is not.a big deal.

13 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Doubt it.  Although travel savings by playing Alabama would be just great, huh?  

Miami can actually bus to Tuscaloosa.  Kentucky and Tennessee are narrow states N-S.

If Alabama starts hockey, they would want other SEC schools too.  Miami is just an hour from Kentucky.

51 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Read the Miami board and was just repeating what they posted.  You are only one opinion and you have been against PAC12 schools.

And boy, nothing like having Alabama and Buffalo as league rivals! If that doesn't say college hockey, nothing does :lol:

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The SEC has been a power for years but Ga Tech and Tulane left it. If there had been money in it then, they wouldn't have left. There isn't any monetary comparison now with the NCHC and SEC.  That what President's have to think about.

The NCHC is probably most concerned about Miami and W Mich leaving which would leave the league at six teams.  That's why the exit fee is so high.  Once the league get to 10, losing 2 teams is not.a big deal.

Why do we have any reason to believe WMU and Miami want out right now?

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

And boy, nothing like having Alabama and Buffalo as league rivals! If that doesn't say college hockey, nothing does :lol:

A MAC could force it on Miami or W Mich to play in the MAC.  The MAC is worth a hell of a lot more than the NCHC, and it's just a G5 conference.  

Circumstances can change quickly, but that is denied here.