SiouxSports.com Forum

Western Regional

SOL

Once UNO moves into their on campus arena next year, they could bid for a regional in the CenturyLink center, where they play now.

That's what I see Omaha doing. The only place not in North Dakota that I could see UND being the host is "IF", and that's a big "IF", Winnipeg hosts a Frozen Four.   

Instead of everyone complaining about the west regional being at Scheels Arena,how about we be happy it's 75 miles from Grand Forks, 4000+ Sioux fans will be able to attend vs.the usual 3-400 at some remote berg, huge home ice advantage for our team. Also the boys will be able to sleep in their own beds.

Exactly......well said.

Instead of everyone complaining about the west regional being at Scheels Arena,how about we be happy it's 75 miles from Grand Forks, 4000+ Sioux fans will be able to attend vs.the usual 3-400 at some remote berg, huge home ice advantage for our team. Also the boys will be able to sleep in their own beds.

I agree with everything except one aspect.  The boys will not sleep in their own beds.  They will be at a hotel.  Do I agree with the way the tickets were distributed, no.  Am I going to pay thru the nose to attend, we will see ;)

I got to thinking the other day; it's a shame that UND couldn't of bid/got Sanford Premier Center in Sioux Falls for the Western Regional. It's a hair closer to GF than the Twin Cities is and just as important it's only 235 miles from the Twin Cities and the large UND alumni base. The arena seats nearly 10,700 for ice hockey, doubling Scheel's Center capacity. I think it's safe to assume it would be darn near (if not) a sell-out there the way Sioux fans travel. I wonder if that was considered initially by UND as a site for their bid and, if so, if it was simply booked up for late March? Not sure either way but UND may want to consider it in the future.

What would UND and REA get out of putting a regional in Sioux Falls?  The NCAA gets the bulk of the ticket revenue.  UND/REA might get a little bit of extra ticket money and some extra concessions money, but it probably wouldn't be significant.  They would be taking money away from a North Dakota city and giving it to a South Dakota city (hotels, restaurants, stores, taxes, facility rental, etc.).  It would be bad PR to bid the event in Sioux Falls if Fargo is available.  I don't see it happening as long as there is a viable option in North Dakota.

• Upvote 1

What would UND and REA get out of putting a regional in Sioux Falls?  The NCAA gets the bulk of the ticket revenue.  UND/REA might get a little bit of extra ticket money and some extra concessions money, but it probably wouldn't be significant.  They would be taking money away from a North Dakota city and giving it to a South Dakota city (hotels, restaurants, stores, taxes, facility rental, etc.).  It would be bad PR to bid the event in Sioux Falls if Fargo is available.  I don't see it happening as long as there is a viable option in North Dakota.

Not to mention the "home field" advantage will be better at Scheels being a smaller arena.

I hear you runaroundsioux and you make a point but my griping is purely selfish; I wanted to go but cus you're talking just a 5k seat arena I wasn't able to get a ticket (I was on line a 1/2 hour after sales opened but no tickets left). In 06 (?) I got tickets for it at the Ralph cus you had an arena that seats nearly 12K. Simple math when it comes to ticket availability.

My son lives about a mile and a half from Scheels. He tried to get tickets as soon as they went on sale and couldn't get through. He texted me Friday that there's tickets on Craig's list for anywhere from $400 to $700........per game. Speculators/scalpers/whatever you want to caqll them.

This week the bracketology is a mess...

3 NCHC teams as #1 seeds, two 2 seeds, and a four seed.

The only place you can send SCSU to avoid an intraconference first round matchup is to Mankato.

Before thinking about attendance, you'd have:

Mankato vs SCSU (why?  Only place to send a 4 seed and not get an intraconference matchup)

UNO vs BC

UMD vs Yale

DU vs MN

UND vs Robert Morris (why?  Because UND as the #2 overall seed gets the #16 when moved)

BU vs Quinnipiac

MIami vs BGU

MTU vs Providence

I think you float a whole 1/2 bracket to make it more attractive for attendance swap BU vs Quinnipiac with DU vs MN

Southbend

Mankato vs SCSU 

UNO vs BC

Manchester

UMD vs Yale

BU vs Quinnipiac

Fargo

UND vs Robert Morris 

DU vs MN

Providence

MIami vs BGU

MTU vs Providence

UND - If Sioux fans travel like they claim to, another 5000 fans able to attend the regional

REA -  Not sure why this matters.

Exactly. The reason Minnesota keeps bidding on regionals even after they missed making them was because they wanted to set their team up for success. If your fan base is assured where they are going to be if they make the tournament, they can buy tickets before everyone else like they did at Scheels.

UND - If Sioux fans travel like they claim to, another 5000 fans able to attend the regional

It is 318 miles from Grand Forks to Sioux Falls. It is 320 miles from Grand Forks to St. Paul. The 2012 west regional was held in St. Paul. There were not 9000 Sioux fans at that regional. None of us would be so excited about attending this regional were it not in our backyard.

It is 318 miles from Grand Forks to Sioux Falls. It is 320 miles from Grand Forks to St. Paul. The 2012 west regional was held in St. Paul. There were not 9000 Sioux fans at that regional. None of us would be so excited about attending this regional were it not in our backyard.

There were several thousand Sioux fans at the Frozen Four in St Paul back in 2011...

More Fans?  I guess my assumptions is the more fans the better.

If you want to be able to have more fans you put it in a baseball or football stadium.  They can fit 30,000 or more in a stadium.  A state institution (UND is owned by the state of North Dakota) giving an economic benefit to another state rather than keeping it within the state of North Dakota is guaranteed PR problems.  Plus, hosting 300 miles away from home is more problems than hosting 75 miles away.  Hosting in Sioux Falls just isn't going to happen.

No guarantee that you could get an extra 5,000 fans to a regional 300 miles from Grand Forks.  UND/REA doesn't get the benefit of additional money even if they sell extra tickets.  Definitely not enough benefit to take the event out of state.  And REA matters in the equation because they work directly with UND on the bidding.