SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Scores & News

bincitysioux

I'm pretty sure the MVFC was 7-1 against the Big Sky this year.

The MVFC had very, very good OOC results this year, no denying that.  But those using this year's results to state how they were robbed out of playoff spots the last couple years is a joke.  Pretty sure the MVFC's OOC results last year were right around .500.

For the record, here are the MVFC/Big Sky matchups this year with preseason ranks within their respective conferences:

Cal Poly (4) - SDSU (2)

Weber State (11/12) - NDSU (1)

SUU (6/6) - SDSU (2)

UND (10/11) - Missouri State (7)

Montana (2) - USD (8)

NAU (5) - USD (8)

Montana (2/2) - NDSU (1)

UNC (13) - UNI (3)

And just want to point out that two Big Sky teams are the only two teams this far on NDSU's schedule who outperformed the almighty Sagarin rankings... :whistling:

• Upvote 1

Big Sky Standings
TEAM CONF OVERALL
Montana 1-0 3-2
Idaho State 1-0 2-2
Cal Poly 0-1 1-3
North Dakota 0-1 2-3
UC Davis 0-1 1-3
Weber State 0-1 0-5

Overall records don't look impressive (except EWU) the conference race will be interesting if everyone beats everyone up.

Montana at UND
NAU at UNC
ISU at EWU
UC Davis at PSU
MSU at Sac St
SUU at Cal Poly

The Valley tends* to play smash mouth / trench football; the Big Sky tends* to play skill position / finesse football. 

If Bubba wants to make UND a smash mouth football team in a finesse conference, fine by me. 

*Yes, yes, broad generalizations ... 

I think the Big Sky might be pretty down as a whole. EWU has a great offense but no defense to speak of, and Montana and Montana St. are decent, but probably not great, at least by their standards. Several of the other teams that have had some success in recent years, such as Cal Poly, SUU, NAU and Sac. St., appear to be a bit down. One surprise may be that some of the teams expected to be among the worst--Idaho St., Weber St. and UND--may be a bit better than expected.

EWU holds on for a 56-53 win. I see little chance they go far in the playoffs with that defense.

It's the one defense that our offense might play well against from start to finish.

If we stay healthy and stop killing ourselves, it's not unrealistic to think this team can't run the table.

• Upvote 1

It's the one defense that our offense might play well against from start to finish.

I can't wait for that game.

That game excites and terrifies me. If our defense has a great weakness, it's through the air. Hope our defense can make enough stops and our offense can do what everybody else has done to them.

From the Twittersphere:

THIS JUST IN: Eastern quarterback Vernon Adams Jr. has two broken bones in his right foot, will miss 3-6 weeks.

Wow. They were looking quite vulnerable anyway due to their inability to stop anybody. For a team that pretty much has to score 50 points in order to win, losing Adams for any period of time could be a disaster for them unless the backup plays at a very high level.

I second this. If we beat them without him it would be slightly tainted in my mind. Don't get me wrong Id be pumped but still want to beat teams at their best.

Yeah, but if EWU is still ranked number 2 and we beat them because Vernon Adams is out, then that will still be a quality win that could perhaps get us into the playoffs if we finish 7-5.

Yeah, but if EWU is still ranked number 2 and we beat them because Vernon Adams is out, then that will still be a quality win that could perhaps get us into the playoffs if we finish 7-5.

PLAYOFFS!   PLAYOFFS!   Just had to use that line, but let's start by winning our first conference game, then see what happens from there.  Our defense should be able to keep us in every game, but the offense still needs to find a way to put up some points.  I'm a believer in the defensive turnaround, but I need to see a little more improvement from the offense, especially getting us the lead rather than always needing to come back.

PLAYOFFS!   PLAYOFFS!   Just had to use that line, but let's start by winning our first conference game, then see what happens from there.  Our defense should be able to keep us in every game, but the offense still needs to find a way to put up some points.  I'm a believer in the defensive turnaround, but I need to see a little more improvement from the offense, especially getting us the lead rather than always needing to come back.

I had a Jim Mora flashback, too.  Let's start with Portland State. 

• Upvote 1