SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Scores & News

bincitysioux

I must have misunderstood because I thought you were saying that the reason the #1 defense in the conference (UND) didn't have anyone on the all conference teams was because they didn't beat the big three. Whereas Idaho State who also didn't beat any of the big three had 11. Am I the only one who thinks there is a Mountain TIme bias?

We need to have a decent season before I'll declare a bias against us.

It's not a conspiracy - it's a bias - there's a difference. just like the East Coast bias - they only know what they see, or take the time to see, they vote for the locals, the schools that are close to them. One of the downsides to being in the Big Sky (although there is plenty upside and I'm not saying I don't like the Big Sky) But UND is a displaced member we aren't in their time zone, we aren't in their history, we are the new kid and it is obvious that is coming into play in situations like all conference selections - can you honestly say that the UND defense didn't have anyone on it that deserved some conference recognition - it's because those who vote either don't take the time to do their research or they feel UND is too new and an outsider or we have to pay our dues - well our defense paid its dues this year.

This is a UND fan site so as a fan I think it's okay to question things. Doesn't mean I'm right or wrong just questioning.   

Bottom line is North Dakota finished in 8th place in the Big Sky with a losing record.  They didn't beat any of the "Big Sky Big 3".  Nobody that chooses these teams got to see us play on ROOT Sports.  If we have an Idaho St. type turnaround next season, the individual accolades will come.  I doubt any of the players or coaches are losing sleep over the fact that there weren't many individual honors handed out. 

Bottom line is North Dakota finished in 8th place in the Big Sky with a losing record. They didn't beat any of the "Big Sky Big 3". Nobody that chooses these teams got to see us play on ROOT Sports. If we have an Idaho St. type turnaround next season, the individual accolades will come. I doubt any of the players or coaches are losing sleep over the fact that there weren't many individual honors handed out.

Some think it's bs that Rattell got snubbed.
  • Upvote 1

Bottom line is North Dakota finished in 8th place in the Big Sky with a losing record.  They didn't beat any of the "Big Sky Big 3".  Nobody that chooses these teams got to see us play on ROOT Sports.  If we have an Idaho St. type turnaround next season, the individual accolades will come.  I doubt any of the players or coaches are losing sleep over the fact that there weren't many individual honors handed out. 

I'd say that is a fairly accurate representation of how the rest of the league viewed UND this season.

We here see positive strides and much to be happy about.  The losing record and conference finish is what stands out to many voters despite some nice stats.

Forecast for SDSU at MSU in Bozeman: 

Tonight A chance of rain, mainly after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Southwest wind 8 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday Snow. Temperature falling to around 20 by 5pm. West southwest wind 8 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

I'd say that is a fairly accurate representation of how the rest of the league viewed UND this season.

We here see positive strides and much to be happy about. The losing record and conference finish is what stands out to many voters despite some nice stats.

They judge the defense on lack of offense?

If you read any opposing coaches comments, every coach knew how good our defense was coming into games with UND.

It seems odd to me that of the four running backs who averaged 100-plus rushing yards per game in conference games, only one was selected as either first or second team all-conference. And considering Quincy Forte missed five games, I'm not sure he should have been selected at all.

It seems odd to me that of the four running backs who averaged 100-plus rushing yards per game in conference games, only one was selected as either first or second team all-conference. And considering Quincy Forte missed five games, I'm not sure he should have been selected at all.

Reputation (not performance) based balloting? 

Upon closer examination, Forte was selected all-conference based upon just two games, plus reputation. He had two big rushing games, but missed five conference games, and had a combined 65 yards in two others.

Hmm how does that compare to Jer's numbers? Not seeing any bias here. (not saying Jer deserved it but he certainly had better numbers than Forte but Forte played in Mountain Time. 

No, just saying you have to be on a successful team in order to get these kind of awards.

My opinion is if you're on a successful defense, you should get recognized regardless of your offense.

These awards are a joke. I bet if the same people who voted on these individual awards would have voted for a best team defense award, UND wouldn't have made their top 5.

My opinion is if you're on a successful defense, you should get recognized regardless of your offense.

These awards are a joke. I bet if the same people who voted on these individual awards would have voted for a best team defense award, UND wouldn't have made their top 5.

Most athletic polls take the simple way out and just vote for the best players on the best teams. Way it's been for a long time and likely the way it'll continue to be.