SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Scores & News

bincitysioux

How do you slow down either of those teams?

Honestly?

1. Ball control offense: limit the number of possessions they have.

2. Put pressure on the opponent offense, create confusion: Go all "Dick LeBeau" on them with random blitzes out of the 3-4. (Think bizarre stuff like Hinohosa or Walker dropping back in a middle zone to cover the under crossing routes while both inside backers blitz.)

2a. Pressure the QB: if you get a chance to knock him down, knock him down. But you must be disciplined to stay in your rush lane and not lose contain. Hopefully 2 or 2a gets you a turnover.

Honestly?

1. Ball control offense: limit the number of possessions they have.

2. Put pressure on the opponent offense, create confusion: Go all "Dick LeBeau" on them with random blitzes out of the 3-4. (Think bizarre stuff like Hinohosa or Walker dropping back in a middle zone to cover the under crossing routes while both inside backers blitz.)

2a. Pressure the QB: if you get a chance to knock him down, knock him down. But you must be disciplined to stay in your rush lane and not lose contain. Hopefully 2 or 2a gets you a turnover.

That would be fine if your offense was moving the ball up the field.

Let's just be thankful we're in the Big Sky this year.  I think almost every MVFC team is ranked and I think the conference as a whole has only lost to 1 FCS team

Careful...that kind of talk can get you labled a Bison rube around here pretty quickly...the official party line is that the Big Sky is infinitely superior to the MVFC.  Carry on, comrade. 

• Upvote 1

If South Dakota a good team or is NAU over-ranked?

I have had my doubts about NAU's early ranking so far this season and would like to hear if anyone else has been thinking the same thing/

I was not impressed with NAU at all. Prior to the season, I thought they'd be in for a big drop off this year without Bauman, and I did not see much this past Saturday to dispel that notion.

USD, on the other hand, was pretty good. Remember, they also only lost 28-20 at Montana the week before, and have been without their starting quarterback for a few weeks.

USD is a couple years further along with their rebuild after a coaching change.  They were competitive in most all of their games last year (excluding ndsu) and won a couple games they "shouldn't" have.  Looks like the changes are starting to bear fruit.  Also, NAU is likely overrated. 

USD is a couple years further along with their rebuild after a coaching change. They were competitive in most all of their games last year (excluding ndsu) and won a couple games they "shouldn't" have. Looks like the changes are starting to bear fruit. Also, NAU is likely overrated.

We've already won more games than they did in glens first year even with Bubba going all out with his guys the same way Glen did.

We've already won more games than they did in glens first year even with Bubba going all out with his guys the same way Glen did.

To be fair, USD's non-conference games that year were against Montana, Colgate, and Northwestern.  But yes, I'm happy with the changes in the play of our defense.

Thanks for the input. I think NAU is overrated and I have been following the USD scores this year and have been impressed with them. I look forward to playing USD again.

I watched NAU's game vs New Mexico Highlands, a D2 school with 26 drop downs who don't know how to run.  NAU's defense gave up some big plays but eventually settled down.  Still, their offense struggled mightily for the first part of the game.  Could be an interesting matchup for UND.

I love it how bison fans are ripping the Big Sky Conference. They rave about how weak the Big Sky is. The funny part about that is ndsu had all they could do to beat Weber State couple weeks ago. Weber State's record is 0 and 5 and are the worst team in the Big Sky. Something in that logic doesn't seem to fit.

I love it how bison fans are ripping the Big Sky Conference. They rave about how weak the Big Sky is. The funny part about that is ndsu had all they could do to beat Weber State couple weeks ago. Weber State's record is 0 and 5 and are the worst team in the Big Sky. Something in that logic doesn't seem to fit.

I'm pretty sure the MVFC was 7-1 against the Big Sky this year.