SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

Another couple of things that Lambert seemed to have overlooked.  Our penalty kill has been occasionally maligned.  But if you look at our "net" on the penalty kill, we are down 13 goals on a 138 pp opportunities.  This compares very favorably with some of the better penalty kill teams in the country, like Bowling Green and others.

Second, I remember a few years ago reading somewhere about a key stat that is often overlooked is the goal differential for each team.  If you go through the stats at the end of the year, the handful of teams that lead the country in the difference between goals scored and goals allowed are always the ones contending for the title, which only makes sense.  But so may teams in the tournament have less than a one goal per game differential, but the elite teams each year hit that 1.2 to 1.5 range.

For example, last year the teams with the best differential were BC, Union, Quinnipiac and Minnesota.

This year we compare very favorably.  Of the top 16 PWR teams right now, it looks like this:

1.  MTU +1.8

2. Mankato 1.61

3. BU 1.4

4. UND 1.3

5. Yale 1.14

6. Michigan 1.1

7-8. Minnesota .91

7-8. Providence .91

9. DU .84

10. Mass-Lowell .79

11. Miami .69

12. UMD .62

13. Quinnipiac .61

14. BC .59

15. Bowling Green .56

16. UNO .37

And that is without the benefit of open net goals, as we don't seem to be able to connect on open nets very often. 

Yup, faceoffs will be absolutely crucial come NCAA tournament time. Friday was brutal against SCSU as it seemed like we couldn't win a faceoff and allowed their PP to continually set up because of it. But like most every other game this year, we found a way to win.

The one thing that needs to be looked at is , yes, losing Mac especially in regards to his faceoff ability is huge.  But we were awful in faceoffs on Friday with him in the lineup.  Faceoffs can improve without Mac in the lineup.

The empty netter to seal the deal in Boston on Saturday night will make uip for all the ones we missed this season!! :)

Nah. How about a 9 overtime game won on a goal against Minnesota with .5 seconds left?

That way we can eliminate all the talk about how much more "exciting" a shoot-out would have been after just one 5:00 overtime period AND rush out to go buy some new .5 t-shirts!

The one thing that needs to be looked at is , yes, losing Mac especially in regards to his faceoff ability is huge.  But we were awful in faceoffs on Friday with him in the lineup.  Faceoffs can improve without Mac in the lineup.

Overall statistically though, isn't he our best man on the draw this season?

Sick? Good lord, kid. Sack up. I'm probably being a jerk without knowing the extent, but c'mon.

I know what you're saying.....might be his last chance....if Olson plays well. On the other hand do you want someone sick around the rest of the team.

I know what you're saying.....might be his last chance....if Olson plays well. On the other hand do you want someone sick around the rest of the team.

This is true. Didn't think about that. After thinking about it more, the illness has to be pretty bad. I'm sure Sim-O wants to be in there real bad.

I suppose as Sioux fans we tend to think each team has something special, and they are.  But this team.    Might be my favorite ever.   They have delivered so many times out of some combination of desire, character, talent, luck, probably, and that typical Sioux loyalty to the program and each other.  

I hope they catch some breaks in the tourney and bring home a banner--for them, not for us fans.   It's obvious how important it is to them, and they are the ones who are putting in the work and making the sacrifices every day since they arrived in GF.   Whatever happens between now and mid-April, they have made me proud with what they have already shown. 

• Upvote 2

I suppose as Sioux fans we tend to think each team has something special, and they are. But this team. Might be my favorite ever. They have delivered so many times out of some combination of desire, character, talent, luck, probably, and that typical Sioux loyalty to the program and each other.

I hope they catch some breaks in the tourney and bring home a banner--for them, not for us fans. It's obvious how important it is to them, and they are the ones who are putting in the work and making the sacrifices every day since they arrived in GF. Whatever happens between now and mid-April, they have made me proud with what they have already shown.

Perfectly said. I love this team.

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised to see him have Jordan Schmaltz on the first team and Paul LaDue on the second. Don't get me wrong they are both nice players, but it almost seems he is putting them on those teams based on previous play/reputation and not this years play. I have Stecher ahead of both but maybe him missing games hurt him. Not sure he has seen a lot of Sioux games after seeing his list other than Zane being POY.