SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

Huh?  Where would you even get an idea as asinine as this?

I said IF, I didn't say it was imminent.  And don't be naive; REA would love to get rid of the student section and sell those seats to the highest bidder.  One thing I have learned in my 40 years on this planet is to never say never to anything, no matter how "asinine" it sounds.  How many of us actually thought the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo would be retired in our lifetimes?  I certainly didn't, but here we are planning on selecting a new name and logo.

Vigilance saves a lot of headaches down the road.  You should try it sometime.

I said IF, I didn't say it was imminent.  And don't be naive; REA would love to get rid of the student section and sell those seats to the highest bidder.  One thing I have learned in my 40 years on this planet is to never say never to anything, no matter how "asinine" it sounds. 

And I'm saying it is not a possibility. The fact that you think that somehow UND would take away all seats from students (who pay a ton for athletics in student fees) to watch other fellow students compete, is ridiculous.  Ralph was very adamant about the students having access to good seating.  That doesn't mean that they will always have spots where they are (I'm surprised they haven't been moved to one of the ends like many other arenas).  The REA would be doing the program, UND and themselves a disservice to not re-evaluate the use of students seating, especially when large chunks aren't being used and there is a demand of people who want to purchase them.  At no point will they ever be fully taken away. 

Side note - You make it sound like the REA would be the ones who get all the money from selling those seats to the highest bidder.  Every seat in the REA costs the same regardless of where it is.  The difference is the donation that is required to get those seats.  UND is the one who gets that money, not the REA.

How many of us actually thought the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo would be retired in our lifetimes?  I certainly didn't, but here we are planning on selecting a new name and logo. 

Anyone who paid attention to what has gone on with the Fighting Sioux nickname over the past two decades in no way can claim to be blindsided that it is retired. There has been issues with it forever, it wasn't something that came up out of the blue.

Coming up scenarios that have absolutely less than zero basis for being formed is not being vigilant, it is ranting for the sake of ranting.

• Upvote 3

I said IF, I didn't say it was imminent.  And don't be naive; REA would love to get rid of the student section and sell those seats to the highest bidder.  One thing I have learned in my 40 years on this planet is to never say never to anything, no matter how "asinine" it sounds.  How many of us actually thought the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo would be retired in our lifetimes?  I certainly didn't, but here we are planning on selecting a new name and logo.

How is this vigilance? Throwing out a theoretical that isn't feasible. Name another college arena in the country that doesn't have a student section. It won't happen because the atmosphere in that arena comes from the students and they know that.

How is this vigilance? Throwing out a theoretical that isn't feasible. Name another college arena in the country that doesn't have a student section. It won't happen because the atmosphere in that arena comes from the students and they know that.

Okay, I was just throwing it out there.  And I remember a certain UND President (I believe his name was Kupchella) that, in a response to a season ticket holder who was whining about bad student behavior, implied that he would consider abolishing the student section if the behavior didn't improve.  This was about 10 years ago.  While Kupchella is gone and I don't think Kelley will do anything this stupid, it is something to keep an eye on from a distance.

Never, ever take anything for granted.  That is why I wish the students would fill that student section up for every game that they are in town for.

Side note - You make it sound like the REA would be the ones who get all the money from selling those seats to the highest bidder.  Every seat in the REA costs the same regardless of where it is.  The difference is the donation that is required to get those seats.  UND is the one who gets that money, not the REA.

The donation to get those seats actually goes to the UND Alumni Association and Foundation, not UND itself.  But I see your point.

Anyone who paid attention to what has gone on with the Fighting Sioux nickname over the past two decades in no way can claim to be blindsided that it is retired. There has been issues with it forever, it wasn't something that came up out of the blue.

Not saying you are wrong, but the outrage and indignation on this forum and across North Dakota suggests that they never saw this coming.  I honestly am surprised that it actually happened; I just figured that the controversy would have continued to ebb and flow like it always had.

Coming up scenarios that have absolutely less than zero basis for being formed is not being vigilant, it is ranting for the sake of ranting.

I didn't realize ranting was unacceptable on this forum?  Thanks for clearing that up. :silly:

I didn't realize ranting was unacceptable on this forum?  Thanks for clearing that up. :silly:

No one said ranting was unacceptable. But doing so about something that has no basis in reality or any sort of supporting facts and then claiming it is in the sake of so called "vigilance" is tin-foil hat stuff.  :tinfoilhat:

Also, I don't recall Kupchella ever threatening to abolish the student section.  There were possibilities of it being moved and other options being explored but at no point did I ever hear a threat of abolishment.  It would have been empty rhetoric as the backlash would have been monumental..

No one said ranting was unacceptable. But doing so about something that has no basis in reality or any sort of supporting facts and then claiming it is in the sake of so called "vigilance" is tin-foil hat stuff.  :tinfoilhat:

Also, I don't recall Kupchella ever threatening to abolish the student section.  There were possibilities of it being moved and other options being explored but at no point did I ever hear a threat of abolishment.  It would have been empty rhetoric as the backlash would have been monumental..

I saw it in the media someplace; it might have been the G.F. Herald or maybe the Dakota Student.  All I know is that Kupchella was not a friend of UND Athletics and I am glad he is gone.

I generally am not a conspiracy theorist, but Kupchella's actions during that period spooked me.

...And I remember a certain UND President (I believe his name was Kupchella) that, in a response to a season ticket holder who was whining about bad student behavior, implied that he would consider abolishing the student section if the behavior didn't improve. This was about 10 years ago. While Kupchella is gone and I don't think Kelley will do anything this stupid,....

Hey, don't sell Kelley short...I feel something monumentally stupid coming from him in the near future. (Re: nickname)
  • Upvote 3

I was visiting with a student yesterday, and he mentioned that a lot of students chose not to purchase season tickets this year, instead just buying single-game tickets.  The logic being that the fees involved with transferring tickets to another person are high enough that if you miss more than 3 games you lose money (or something like that...I didn't actually question the math). 

I think that is part of the reason why the student section was bare last season...students couldn't or didn't want to go to a specific game but weren't willing to pay the fees to transfer their tickets to another student.  Gotta love Ticketmaster!

This is just my theory based on second hand information, though. 

I was visiting with a student yesterday, and he mentioned that a lot of students chose not to purchase season tickets this year, instead just buying single-game tickets.  The logic being that the fees involved with transferring tickets to another person are high enough that if you miss more than 3 games you lose money (or something like that...I didn't actually question the math). 

I think that is part of the reason why the student section was bare last season...students couldn't or didn't want to go to a specific game but weren't willing to pay the fees to transfer their tickets to another student.  Gotta love Ticketmaster!

This is just my theory based on second hand information, though. 

Hadn't heard about those fees.  Good point.  We are seeing the issues with outsourcing both tickets and tv, is the UND admin?

Ticketbast*rd

I wonder also with the fees associated with transferring tickets, if students aren't going as much because the style has changed a little? Nothing gets the students more into the game or cheering than a big hit or a fight. When was the last time we had a fight at all? I'm not saying we should go out and fight or anything just a thought of why students aren't coming as much. You all know it as well as I do some people want to go to a hockey game to see a fight.

I hated the online ticket deal. I got myself prepared and all ready for a green and white account, but a lot of people had trouble with it. It's not something that someone can casually walk into and just decide to do. It's kind of a process. The fees suck royally. I could see someone just saying eff it, if they can't do it after like 10 minutes. Obviously they wouldn't be a hardcore fan, but maybe they could have been one in the making.

I hated the online ticket deal. I got myself prepared and all ready for a green and white account, but a lot of people had trouble with it. It's not something that someone can casually walk into and just decide to do. It's kind of a process. The fees suck royally. I could see someone just saying eff it, if they can't do it after like 10 minutes. Obviously they wouldn't be a hardcore fan, but maybe they could have been one in the making.

Lets go back to what we did my freshman year.

CAMPOUT!

oh wait..... lets not

I wonder also with the fees associated with transferring tickets, if students aren't going as much because the style has changed a little? Nothing gets the students more into the game or cheering than a big hit or a fight. When was the last time we had a fight at all? I'm not saying we should go out and fight or anything just a thought of why students aren't coming as much. You all know it as well as I do some people want to go to a hockey game to see a fight.

I really don't think many go to a game to see a fight. People like the excitement and a juiced up atmosphere, and even hockey idiots know that when they see it. Put an exciting team on the ice that wins and you will bring em in. The more students the better IMO.

I think they announced that there will not be fees for transferring tickets, starting this year.

No facts allowed. http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=209672189

Starting this season, all tickets that are forwarded using your My North Dakota account (season-ticket holders) or the Green & White account (students) are no longer subject to Ticketmaster transfer fees.

How many of us actually thought the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo would be retired in our lifetimes?

Really?  The writing was on the wall for quite a long time there with all the controversy.

With how politically correct everything is getting, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

I'm not saying that I like it, but I certainly wasn't surprised that it happened.

• Upvote 2

It's too bad that announcement came out DURING student season ticket sales:

2014-2015 Student Season Ticket Lottery Dates/Times

Classification

Date/Time eligible to purchase season tickets

Senior/Graduate

Tuesday, September 23 at 9:00-9:30 p.m.

Junior

Tuesday, September 23 at 10:00-10:30 p.m.

Sophomore

Wednesday, September 24 at 9:00-9:30 p.m.

Freshman

Wednesday, September 24 at 10:00-10:30 p.m.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=3719497

It's too bad that announcement came out DURING student season ticket sales:

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=3719497

Just presenting facts here....

We released a bunch of new fan initiatives for students & general public throughout Monday 9.22 via REA, UND and NoDak Nation social media outlets.

Judging by the RT's and favorites on this tweet, students were well aware before the lottery of the change: https://twitter.com/NoDak_Nation/status/514074132061757440

The release on 9.23 was a wrap-up release of everything that was announced on Monday 9.22 - the time stamp on that release currently shows "updated" meaning there was an error/omission/change after the initial release.

Student hockey "lottery" was 9.23 and 9.24 at 9pm/10pm