SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

15 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

The only cost of staying in FCS for NMSU is losing guarantee game money. They don't get any donations to speak of right now. Their ticket revenue is pretty much non existant. That is a pretty sad reason to stay FBS. They take a paycheck knowing they have ZERO chance of winning the game. NDSU hasn't gone into a guarantee game not thinking they were going to win it. I know which program I would rather align myself with, and it wouldn't be Idaho and NMSU.

But you are ok aligning yourself with Western Illinois and Indiana St?  

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, dmksioux said:

So what?  We lost to Idaho...twice and every other FBS team we played except Wyoming.  No need to bait the NDSU trolls...

Actually Muss lost to Idaho twice, Bubba is 1-1 against the FBS. As for baiting NDSU trolls, no bait necessary when they flock over here when BV is boring because UND fans aren't  flocked over there.

12 hours ago, FSSD said:

Centenary, UMKC, UIPUI, UIPUFW or Missouri St.

And yet UND still takes last or next to last in the all sports standings in the BSC.  Fact is you had no plan in place for going DI - you just followed NDSU, and now everyone is scratching their heads and wonder why UND is doing so poorly.  It's called leadership. 

• Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

And yet UND still takes last or next to last in the all sports standings in the BSC.  Fact is you had no plan in place for going DI - you just followed NDSU, and now everyone is scratching their heads and wonder why UND is doing so poorly.  It's called leadership. 

My oh my - good morning - Danny Boy...  I think you can refer back to any number of my replies to you in the past several years about this topic and difference between conferences in the All Sport topic you love to discuss.  But, it was nice to hear from you again.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

Admittedly, UND places badly in the non-revenue sports, but does well in M/W BB, VB and Football,  You can check that out for yourself.... http://bigskyconf.com/index.aspx  Even saying that, T&F is improving every year.  The new indoor facility will only help with that.

2 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

So let me get this straight - hockey is a niche sport and therefore not worthy of discussion as far as being successful in collegiate sports, but now it matters where our golf and tennis teams finish as far as a reflection of being successful in collegiate sports? And as far as the importance of the all sports standings in a conference - that isn't even on the radar as far as importance in measuring the success of a university's collegiate sports program.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, GeauxSioux said:

Admittedly, UND places badly in the non-revenue sports, but does well in M/W BB, VB and Football,  You can check that out for yourself.... http://bigskyconf.com/index.aspx  Even saying that, T&F is improving every year.  The new indoor facility will only help with that.

.....define well

1 hour ago, Bison Dan said:

What does this have to do with NDSU aligning themselves with Western Illinois, Missouri St. and the alphabet schools vs. the conversation of UND aligning itself with Idaho and NMSU?

Even that said, UND's non-revenue sports do not do well in the Big Sky but have done very well against the Summit league.  Looking at the women's sports- UND's bball and vball would compete for conference championships annually.  Its soccer and softball teams would finish much higher in the Summit league than they do in the Big Sky.  Track and field would likely finish about the same and I have no idea on swimming and diving.

Men's sport- bball would have been a contender in the conference tournament and the other sports would have been middle of the pack.  Honestly, you can't tell me anyone cares about any men's sport in the Summit league other than basketball.  

Cutting sports to more easily fund some of the other is plan that is being implemented.  It took some new leadership to get the ball rolling but athletics were never really high on Kelly's list unless it was the nickname.  

24 minutes ago, homer said:

What does this have to do with NDSU aligning themselves with Western Illinois, Missouri St. and the alphabet schools vs. the conversation of UND aligning itself with Idaho and NMSU?

Even that said, UND's non-revenue sports do not do well in the Big Sky but have done very well against the Summit league.  Looking at the women's sports- UND's bball and vball would compete for conference championships annually.  Its soccer and softball teams would finish much higher in the Summit league than they do in the Big Sky.  Track and field would likely finish about the same and I have no idea on swimming and diving.

Men's sport- bball would have been a contender in the conference tournament and the other sports would have been middle of the pack.  Honestly, you can't tell me anyone cares about any men's sport in the Summit league other than basketball.  

Cutting sports to more easily fund some of the other is plan that is being implemented.  It took some new leadership to get the ball rolling but athletics were never really high on Kelly's list unless it was the nickname.  

You guys won a game against a Summit team outside of the Betty yet?

12 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

.....define well

I am probably telling you things you already know.  Men's BB finished fifth last year with the youngest team in the Big Sky and lost in the semis in the conference tournament.  That is not last or next to last.  They competed well.  The football team was screwed by the committee, as I am sure you are well aware, as they should have been in the playoffs.  With a new coach and new philosophy, football has a bright future.  Not the dim picture painted by BisonDan, saying all UND sports were at the bottom of the Big Sky.

And since you asked....Definition - in a good or satisfactory way: "the whole team played well"

38 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

You guys won a game against a Summit team outside of the Betty yet?

I have no idea.  I'm sure you know the answer so you tell me.  

I do know that the team at the end of the season last year for UND would have competed well with what I watched in the Summit tournament.  Did you watch games or just basing it off of the RPI like every other FU fan

19 minutes ago, homer said:

I do know that the team at the end of the season last year for UND would have competed well with what I watched in the Summit tournament.  Did you watch games or just basing it off of the RPI like every other FU fan

Couldn't tell you.  I don't follow RPI.  I watched NDSU a couple times this year on the tube.

44 minutes ago, homer said:

Try to have a conversation with a Bison fan about mens basketball and see if you can go the entire time without them mentioning RPI.  Go ahead I dare ya!!  It can't be done!!! :lol:  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

So let me get this straight - hockey is a niche sport and therefore not worthy of discussion as far as being successful in collegiate sports, but now it matters where our golf and tennis teams finish as far as a reflection of being successful in collegiate sports? 

That was worth repeating. 

6 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Try to have a conversation with a Bison fan about mens basketball and see if you can go the entire time without them mentioning RPI.  Go ahead I dare ya!!  It can't be done!!! :lol:  

You don't have to get all pairwise, I mean pairshaped about it!

On 5/7/2016 at 10:26 PM, SiouxVolley said:

My guts and my brain.  Idaho's and NMSU's recent PR's are nothing but ruses.  This move has been planned for years by all involved.

Where is this announcement you predicted?

• Downvote 2

On 5/1/2016 at 3:45 PM, SiouxVolley said:

The Idaho announcement was a ruse for the NCAA to step in.

First, President Staben, if he wanted to keep his job for moving down to FCS, should have stated that Idaho needed x amount of dollars to stay FBS through 2023.  That would have put the onus on the fans.  Instead he's the bad guy, unless he knows what's coming.

Secondly, Idaho didn't cut sports or the budget to go FCS, even though they would see a massive revenue decline and have like 17 sports.  FCS only needs 14, so why isn't Idaho cutting non Big Sky mandated sports unless it intends to stay FBS?  Cutting women's swimming and men's golf could be justified right now if Staben was serious about FCS.

Thirdly, there are some rumors and reports that some Idaho alumni offered millions to keep the program at FBS.  Idaho didn't respond.

The NCAA will soon step in and adjust the rules for FBS, allowing Big Sky schools to move up if they choose.  Staben knows this and is just giving the NCAA a good play book for them to step in.

Where is this announcement?

On 5/2/2016 at 7:49 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Idaho's graduation ceremony in Moscow is May 14th.  The NCAA announcement will be before then.

Otherwise Staben will hear boos instead of  cheers.

Its now the 22cnd.