SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

10 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Learn how to use the quote box Kent..(..is that the right movie or context? I'm not that old to know.)....You keep affirming the "73" part to me the more you post...You make me not look forward to getting old!

73? Just turned 64.  And you are correct I do lack some computer skills. But I do know how to use the quote box. Why I didnt this time I dont know. (Now thats what you have to be scared of LOL) But it still doesnt take away from what was quoted.

10 hours ago, Gothmog said:

How is that you know so much about what goes on at Bisonville?

Maybe because it's no secret and has been posted on here how many different UND threads there are on BV usually by the same @sshats, but we get it you people have mooed on and SDSU is your "rival" good for you, go blast their Jacks board with talk how they will never go FBS.

9 hours ago, Cratter said:

What I know....SV has been saying the Big Sky (or part of it) could (might) go FBS (hence the title), and (IIRC was before) the commissioner of the conference came out in favor of saying that same thing!....SV also predicted it could be used under the WAC "umbrella"...and months later (recently) the Idaho study affirms that is indeed possible...

Here's what the main point is: a portion of the Big Sky wants (and is working on....wasn't it the former Montana St AD saying saying the FCS was "unsustainable") becoming a FBS team, and that includes UND (as has been mentioned by a "former UND AD"). 

Do the "minor points matter"? (So he predicted UND would win a championship before the season started but he got the scores wrong....good job on calling him out on the minor details!)

(as anyone would do they change the prediction as the game is in progress, but keep going back to the "hey I told you you were wrong" if it makes you feel better!)

*If you don't think the U of Idaho is doing everything in its power to get its regional schools to move to FBS status...you a fool!

In 1943 SV could predict "Allies to win WWII." He could toss in that the US will drop a new type of devastating bomb, a hydrogen bomb, on Tokyo, to break the Japanese will.

In 1945 many would point out SV's "hydrogen / Tokyo" was wrong, but miss out on giving credit for predicting the surrender by the Axis powers. 

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

In 1943 SV could predict "Allies to win WWII." He could toss in that the US will drop a new type of devastating bomb, a hydrogen bomb, on Tokyo, to break the Japanese will.

In 1945 many would point out SV's "hydrogen / Tokyo" was wrong, but miss out on giving credit for predicting the surrender by the Axis powers. 

Not to nitpick but by 1943 the war was already decided.  That wouldn't be some bold prediction by any means.

• Upvote 1

This thread is getting completely derailed and I think some are putting too much stock in a thread titled UND and the Big Sky could go FBS. As in, the move is an open ended possibility, IF a number of thing were to work out, AND there were interest from several other schools.

Could it happen? Absolutely! Will it happen? Probably not, at least not in the short term. If it does happen, will it be successful? Who knows, NDSU showed that success can be achieved in jumping levels, though the move from D2 to FCS is far different than moving from FCS to FBS. Though even Georgia Southern has shown some success. It all depends who is running your program when you make the transition. 

It would certainly be fun to see some bigger teams on the schedule. Though if moving to FBS meant becoming a Wyoming, E. Michigan or Idaho at that level, then I'd prefer to stay where we are. We are just getting out of the funk of having one losing season after another and having nothing but hopes to improve. Reading some of their message board is rather depressing. 

Ultimately, FBS would/could be fun, but I'm certainly happy watching UND playing where they are right now. Just happy they are improving and that the future looks bright.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Cratter said:

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS ....

Do you know the difference between could and will?

If you include a rule change as a possibility literally any FCS conference "could" go FBS. SV's statements in the thread are far more important than the title of the thread.

8 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

If you include a rule change as a possibility literally any FCS conference "could" go FBS. SV's statements in the thread are far more important than the title of the thread.

It seems that FargoU fans are the ones spending their time trying to make them important.

10 hours ago, Cratter said:

What I know....SV has been saying the Big Sky (or part of it) could (might) go FBS (hence the title), and (IIRC was before) the commissioner of the conference came out in favor of saying that same thing!....SV also predicted it could be used under the WAC "umbrella"...and months later (recently) the Idaho study affirms that is indeed possible...

Here's what the main point is: a portion of the Big Sky wants (and is working on....wasn't it the former Montana St AD saying saying the FCS was "unsustainable") becoming a FBS team, and that includes UND (as has been mentioned by a "former UND AD"). 

Do the "minor points matter"? (So he predicted UND would win a championship before the season started but he got the scores wrong....good job on calling him out on the minor details!)

(as anyone would do they change the prediction as the game is in progress, but keep going back to the "hey I told you you were wrong" if it makes you feel better!)

*If you don't think the U of Idaho is doing everything in its power to get its regional schools to move to FBS status...you a fool!

No, there is no evidence that any of the schools in the Big Sky, including UND, actually want to become FBS, or that six, or more, of them are actively working on moving the Big Sky to FBS. That's always been the point. Could this happen? Of course, but then lots of crazy stuff could happen. Will it happen? No, probably not

(Former) Athletic Directors at some Big Sky schools have said they should go FBS.

As I've said before these things come and go as people at the school do...one day Montana and Montana State will be FBS it's just a matter of when not if.

51 minutes ago, Cratter said:

(Former) Athletic Directors at some Big Sky schools have said they should go FBS.

As I've said before these things come and go as people at the school do...one day Montana and Montana State will be FBS it's just a matter of when not if.

I don't disagree with that. IMO, all the Dakota FCS schools should be FBS, and, at least some of them, eventually will be. But that has not been the point of this whole discussion. 

I see SV as a run-of-the-mill conspiracy theorist. You know you have a conspiracy theory, not a genuine conspiracy when the story changes to include facts that actually disprove the original premise. So, for instance, when the Idaho study disproved SV's idea of a NCAA rule change, SV simply incorporated that into his conspiracy as a PR ruse by the President of the university. Pretty standard stuff.You can never prove a good conspiracy theory wrong, anything that contradicts the original story is dismissed as part of the conspiracy. 

16 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

I see SV as a run-of-the-mill conspiracy theorist. You know you have a conspiracy theory, not a genuine conspiracy when the story changes to include facts that actually disprove the original premise.

So, if that's how you view him, why do you continue?
Or are your radio dial presets locked onto this, and this, and this

18 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Bison fans talk about UND all the time on BV but you don't see a bunch of us going over there to dispute every post. Seeing you guys on here, actually caring what a UND poster says, and taking the time to dispute every little detail is across the borderline obsessive. I'll sit and wait for the typical responses by you people.

Who is us?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

2 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Not to nitpick but by 1943 the war was already decided.  That wouldn't be some bold prediction by any means.

So, if he had predicted that the war could be won by 1943 in 1941, by the allies coming up with a submarine attack on Tokyo and a frontal assault on Berlin, would he still be wrong?

The end result is correct, but the method of success and the date were not exactly correct. 

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

This thread is getting completely derailed and I think some are putting too much stock in a thread titled UND and the Big Sky could go FBS. As in, the move is an open ended possibility, IF a number of thing were to work out, AND there were interest from several other schools.

Could it happen? Absolutely! Will it happen? Probably not, at least not in the short term. If it does happen, will it be successful? Who knows, NDSU showed that success can be achieved in jumping levels, though the move from D2 to FCS is far different than moving from FCS to FBS. Though even Georgia Southern has shown some success. It all depends who is running your program when you make the transition. 

It would certainly be fun to see some bigger teams on the schedule. Though if moving to FBS meant becoming a Wyoming, E. Michigan or Idaho at that level, then I'd prefer to stay where we are. We are just getting out of the funk of having one losing season after another and having nothing but hopes to improve. Reading some of their message board is rather depressing. 

Ultimately, FBS would/could be fun, but I'm certainly happy watching UND playing where they are right now. Just happy they are improving and that the future looks bright.

When talking Goals, things change if you are FBS.

FCS Goals;   Conf Championship, Playoff Berth, Playoff Seed, National Championship

FBS Goals:  Conf Championship, Win a P5 Game, win 10 games, Top 25 ranking, Bowl game, Jan Bowl Game, be Relevant nationally

If you are in an FBS Big Sky, almost none of FBS goals listed above are even attainable.   You are akin to being an FCS team in the Pioneer League where even winning your conference is meaningless.   That's really why joining an existing FBS conference is really the only way to be a credible FBS team in an credible FBS conference.   The fact that the Pioneer League is FCS, doesn't change the fact the sub-DII football is being played.

15 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Being informed and not being ego centric is not something that you would recognize.

Fullerton was being compliant to set up Idaho's ruse.  You probably take Hillary's statements at face value too.

Did you just say, Not being Ego Centric?  IALTO

1 hour ago, zonadub said:

So, if he had predicted that the war could be won by 1943 in 1941, by the allies coming up with a submarine attack on Tokyo and a frontal assault on Berlin, would he still be wrong?

The end result is correct, but the method of success and the date were not exactly correct. 

The end result would still be incorrect.  In 1943 it was not remotely close to being done...the writing was only on the wall.

You can't miss on predictions that bad and proclaim "See, I was right all along."

24 minutes ago, Herd said:

When talking Goals, things change if you are FBS. ... 

FBS Goals:  Conf Championship, Win a P5 Game, win 10 games, Top 25 ranking, Bowl game, Jan Bowl Game, be Relevant nationally

If you are in an FBS Big Sky, almost none of FBS goals listed above are even attainable.   

Huh-who-wha'? 

If "Team X" is in an FBS BSC (WAC?) it is more than likely a legacy FCS BSC team amongst other legacy FCS BSC teams.

• That alone means a conference championship is in play.
  • And that same group of teams has played P5 teams tough (if not knocked some off).
  • And in an FBS BSC (WAC?), ten wins should be in play (even with two money games).
  • A bowl game should be also (conference tie ins). 

So yeah, maybe I'll give you the "Top 25", January bowl game, and "relevant" (whatever that means) as tough to attain.

But the rest in an FBS BSC (WAC?) are in play. 

The FCS Pioneer League has a Champion, plays good FCS teams, gets a Playoff berth, and has a chance to go undefeated with the right schedule.   It is essentially what the Big Sky would be if FBS, and is an example of why teams are required to join existing conferences at the FBS level.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

So you're that annoying heckler at the comedy club that doesn't like the jokes but keeps coming back night after night. ;) 

So, asking for evidence is "heckling?" I'd be happy to accept SV's theories ... if he would provide evidence. So far, he's been unable to do so.

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

The end result would still be incorrect.  In 1943 it was not remotely close to being done...the writing was only on the wall.

You can't miss on predictions that bad and proclaim "See, I was right all along."

The end result -winning the war - is correct. The frontal assault on Berlin is correct.

the submarine victory in Tokyo is not the right battle. It took a couple more years to end it. (SV's stated date is 2018)

the war being won - the goal - was correct. So, I would contend that the prediction was (would be) correct.

again, personally, I think it is a long shot at best, but, speaking of long shots, who would have bet that UND would get a Big Sky invite after NDSU had been turned down (twice!?) ?

by the way, for all the bison posters out there, iirc, SV has always said NDSU would be invited to join an FBS Big Sky.

• Upvote 2