SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring time for Bubba and UND

geaux_sioux

We did shovel. I think your knee was no good that spring so you might not have been there.

I remember picking up the weight room, but not cleaning it.

You're right. I was done by then so I missed out on that. I also remember it being described as being as fruitless as "pissing into the ocean" by a few guys. :lol:

I don't understand why everyone thinks it's below a team to do that.

Do you really not "understand" or do you just not agree?

Shoveling snow isn't below me. I do it at home all winter. I don't do it at work because that isn't my role. People would wonder what was wrong if a vp was doing the work that we pay the warehouse guys for. Others would look at it in much the same fashion as the general public looked at the team doing it, "what the heck are they doing? there's something wrong there if they have to shovel snow to get on their field".

You obviously have disagreed from the beginning, which is fine. But the fact that so many viewed it as a symptom that something was amiss within this program cannot be ignored.

The end result supported that observation, I think.

Geaux_Sioux, you keep referring to how this was such a great team building event. Or how it isn't a bad thing etc etc etc.(pussification) It's simply the fact that these kids shouldn't have to do that, nor do they want to do it. If you don't think that having to do that had a negative effect on the players you are not as close to them as you imply.

Name one other school in the country at the D1 level that had have their student athletes shovel the entire field... There isn't one... Don't kid yourself that these kids don't talk to other players from other schools. It would go something like this... "Dude, we had to shoveling the f---ing snow off the field today just to practice..." Then their buddy that plays at Northern Illinois for instance says... "Thats seriously f---ed up man... You should look into coming down here!"

Thats just a simple example that I totally made up... But the fact that nobody else in the country has to do that is enough for me... Its a simple matter of being on the same playing field and treating the athletes as well if not better than your competitors.

Hell, I didn't have to do it when I was playing there... I would be willing to bet you didn't either.

In many ways, I believe geaux_sioux has a point.

The act of shoveling isn't a problem, it's who gives the order that matters.

If the order comes from a person the players respect, then it is looked at as a team building, character building exercise.

If the order comes from a person the players do not respect, then they rebel and call it bush league.

However, given the climate of today's college football environment and how competitive it is to recruit these fickle 18 year olds, the sentiment of this board on this topic I believe is the correct one. Recruits may see that as a negative when going through the recruiting process.

In many ways, I believe geaux_sioux has a point.

The act of shoveling isn't a problem, it's who gives the order that matters.

If the order comes from a person the players respect, then it is looked at as a team building, character building exercise.

If the order comes from a person the players do not respect, then they rebel and call it bush league.

However, given the climate of today's college football environment and how competitive it is to recruit these fickle 18 year olds, the sentiment of this board on this topic I believe is the correct one. Recruits may see that as a negative when going through the recruiting process.

Yep, it is all in the context.

Geaux_Sioux, you keep referring to how this was such a great team building event. Or how it isn't a bad thing etc etc etc.(pussification) It's simply the fact that these kids shouldn't have to do that, nor do they want to do it. If you don't think that having to do that had a negative effect on the players you are not as close to them as you imply.

Name one other school in the country at the D1 level that had have their student athletes shovel the entire field... There isn't one... Don't kid yourself that these kids don't talk to other players from other schools. It would go something like this... "Dude, we had to shoveling the f---ing snow off the field today just to practice..." Then their buddy that plays at Northern Illinois for instance says... "Thats seriously f---ed up man... You should look into coming down here!"

Thats just a simple example that I totally made up... But the fact that nobody else in the country has to do that is enough for me... Its a simple matter of being on the same playing field and treating the athletes as well if not better than your competitors.

Hell, I didn't have to do it when I was playing there... I would be willing to bet you didn't either.

Doesn't matter if they liked it. Get the damn job done.

No I didn't have to do it, the snow melted a day or two before spring ball started. If it hadn't we'd have been shoveling.

Once more, the 2013 team that so diligently and graciously cleaned off the field performed horribly during the 2013 season. Whereas NDSU, who won the 2013 FCS national championship, did not shovel anything and yet they went undefeated. My point is shoveling snow has nothing to do with football performance; it's simply common courtesy to treat the student-athletes as such and not put them in a situation that requires them to perform unnecessary labor.

You're essentially arguing that having the team remove snow off the field is fine. Well, perhaps in a high school setting it would be fine, but at a DI university, the resources should be in place for a support staff to be there. If not, there are support issues by the athletic department and university. Again, and in conclusion, UND needs football players and an athletic department that supports them, not good shovelers that need to be resilient laborers when the university looks the other way. I respect Bubba requesting that shoveling and other pity acts not be asked of the student-athletes. If you want to proclaim to recruits that they may have to do such acts in addition to academics and athletics, go right ahead. I can guarantee your hard workers will not have been highly sought after by other schools.

A supportive fanbase would help too-->see references here on ss.com that refer to FCS Championships as D1 "JV" that do not "count" as Natty's in their eyes, as opposed to the elusive Natty you have been trying to win for over the last decade in a sport not nearly as popular as football. In short, I really do not think you have the fan support to be successful over the longhaul. That's to bad, but it is what it is. Hockey will always be King at UND, at the expense of football and other sports, and the support those sports get, Plus, the athletes in those sports know it.

Flame away, but I'm jussayin!!

A supportive fanbase would help too-->see references here on ss.com that refer to FCS Championships as D1 "JV" that do not "count" as Natty's in their eyes, as opposed to the elusive Natty you have been trying to win for over the last decade in a sport not nearly as popular as football. In short, I really do not think you have the fan support to be successful over the longhaul. That's to bad, but it is what it is. Hockey will always be King at UND, at the expense of football and other sports, and the support those sports get, Plus, the athletes in those sports know it.

Flame away, but I'm jussayin!!

Fan support was just fine in the early and mid 2000s. If the team wins, the people will show up.

Fan support was just fine in the early and mid 2000s. If the team wins, the people will show up.

Like the support for UND basketball?!

From SiouxForever (in thread bitching about NDSU MBB game televised over NHL game of some sort):

By the way, UND basketball is superior than NDSU basketball and I would still be storming in anger too, if it was a UND basketball game that took precedence over the Hawks/Pens game in the surrounding, local area.

I get your point tho . . .

Once again, what makes it such lowly work? Pussification of America?

What if a key player was to get hurt from shoveling and miss the season? Would you have no problem with that either? :silly:

A school of UND's size and scope should have the resources to do something as simple as clearing snow off the practice field. This isn't some two-bit community college in the middle of Kansas! :angry: The point isn't that it's lowly work, it's that student-athletes are here to go to school and play their chosen sport, not to save UND money on maintenance. If that is what it comes down to, we have much bigger problems that need addressing.

Like the support for UND basketball?!

From SiouxForever (in thread bitching about NDSU MBB game televised over NHL game of some sort):

I get your point tho . . .

Classic. Bison fans lecturing UND fans on support for other teams. How long did the BSA facelift take to fundraise? Is there anyone who even shows up to the women's events in Fargo anymore?

Classic. Bison fans lecturing UND fans on support for other teams. How long did the BSA facelift take to fundraise? Is there anyone who even shows up to the women's events in Fargo anymore?

BSA? Quite awhile, not gonna deny that, but the time it took has more to do with economy and other projects NDSU was trying to fund with private monies. It has nothing to do with the support for our programs. Hell, the weight room that the FB team uses is in there

Women's events? If you mean WBB, very few, as they suck, but, Bison fans are pissed about that and made a demand for change, and it had better change quickly or next on the block is our women's AD.

Now, compare that to many of your fans who flip their nose up/look down upon your FB program because it is "JV" and or those who would rather watch non-Sioux teams play on TV over their own.

I assume you get the point.

And sorry for the interuption of your Spring FB thread discussion about ice/snow removal.

I'm with the ones who say it should never happen btw.

Classic. Bison fans lecturing UND fans on support for other teams.

I don't think you'd ever see Bison fans complaining they have a team on TV like some said on the kvly thread if UND was on... Just saying bro

What if a key player was to get hurt from shoveling and miss the season? Would you have no problem with that either? :silly:

A school of UND's size and scope should have the resources to do something as simple as clearing snow off the practice field. This isn't some two-bit community college in the middle of Kansas! :angry: The point isn't that it's lowly work, it's that student-athletes are here to go to school and play their chosen sport, not to save UND money on maintenance. If that is what it comes down to, we have much bigger problems that need addressing.

If a key player got injured during shoveling of the field? Didn't happen. They're 100x more likely to get injured during the strenuous weight training and conditioning they do.