SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 Recruiting

Hambone

Seales looks like a solid player. Good day for UND hoops yesterday.

The fact that UND beat out higher level programs in the Atlantic 10 (LaSalle), CUSA (WKy), and MVC (Drake, UNI) for Seals is a very significant accomplishment.  Getting Seals may help recruiting even more.  Before, we would go up against other Sky teams and Slummit members for recruits.  The coaching staff is doing a really fine job recruiting.  Maybe losing some assistant coaches wasn't such a bad deal.

The future is starting to look very exciting.    It would appear we have quite a few pieces of the puzzle in place.    Every one is looking for the "big" guys but I agree when future recruits look at what we having coming in, these "big" recruits might just sign on now.  We have some young 4's and 5's in the program, but you can never have enough.  We do need more.   Fun times ahead. 

LAst time I was excited for UND mens basketball was last March when we were playing in the Big Sky Tournament Championship game for a bid to the NCAA Tournament. what's your point?!! :)

On the flip side we were one loss from no playoffs at all not even a trip to the CIT. I hope these recruits can replace the scorers we lost.

On the flip side we were one loss from no playoffs at all not even a trip to the CIT. I hope these recruits can replace the scorers we lost.

Kind of cherry picking on that.  UND was one loss away in one very specific game (first round of the Big Sky tournament vs. Portland State) in order to not have a record that would have got them in to the CIT. If they would have lost that game, even with a better record, I doubt they get invited anyway.  And highly doubt that making sure they ended the tournament with a .500 record or better was anywhere near the coach's or team's mind at the time.  The team was focused on winning the Big Sky tournament and getting into the NCAA tournament, they ran out of gas and players.

Seales looks like good get. Adam not rated pretty low for a D1 recruit by Iowa preps or prep hoops Iowa. UND may drop Josh Collins with 2 gets the same size.  Horner hire paying off!

I thought the ranking for McDermott (#100+) on Iowa Preps seemed weird too.  They kept referring to him as a top 10 on twitter though.  May have confused McDermott with McDonnell.

I thought the ranking for McDermott (#100+) on Iowa Preps seemed weird too.  They kept referring to him as a top 10 on twitter though.  May have confused McDermott with McDonnell.

Seems like Iowa Preps tweet indicated he was one of the 4 top 10 uncommitted recruits which doesn't seem to mesh with him appearing only on their top 150 list.  Prep Hoops Iowa listed him as the #41 player in Iowa.  Both of those seem little odd, especially for a 6'4" shooter.  Here's a short article on his commitment.

Iowa Preps had Seales as a top 10 recruit overall.

Regardless, recruiting rankings don't mean much, glad to have them both on the team!

Iowa preps moved McDermott from 17 in July  to 10th. Seales is 6th.  One writer had this to say about Seales.

Iowa Barnstormers & Cortez Seales Make A Run

May 6, 2014 by Roundball Rundown Report Leave a comment

cortez-seales-2.jpg?w=184&h=249

The one name that I did not get to however, and my breakout performer of the entire event, is 6’4 lefty wing, Cortez Seales. Watching him on a Saturday night affair against Wisconsin Playground Warriors, Seales immediately stood out to me with the way he controlled the ball and his frame at the 2-spot on the floor. He seems to never force the issue, though most of his game and scoring comes from below the arc, and the Iowa guard is more than capable of facilitating and distributing for his unit. Upon walking away highly impressed with the Davenport native, I wanted to make sure that this kid was legit and put his 9:15AM game on my schedule for the following day in being placed up against the Mac Irvin Fire and highly touted wing, Davon Dillard.

What the North Scott High star did the following morning was tremendous; with his team down 47-30 in the first half, the off guard put his team on his back in finishing with 22 points off of 9-12 shooting from the floor, corralled five rebounds, dished out five assists, and turned the ball over just once, and helped his squad come away with a big time W. The Barnstormers had problems with Fire’s Luwane Pipkins in controlling the ball in the backcourt and placed the rock into Seales’ hands in running the show. After Dillard couldn’t slow down the 6’4 guard, Fire placed the 5’8 Pipkins on him in hopefully taking the ball away from the Iowa guard. Unfortunately for the Chicago-based program, the ‘Stormers guard used his bigger body to back the little guard down until he got below the perimeter where he made the appropriate play, making for an even easier time for Seales in controlling the floor.

Seales’ game is all about making the right move on the hardwood and his mid-range game is supremely polished, where he is more than capable of scoring over a contested hand. He can also make others better in the half court and rebounds the ball at a high rate on both sides of the glass. The one knock on his game would be in his 3-point shooting as I only saw Seales attempt one long-range jumper all weekend long, of which he hit to start his Sunday morning game. Regardless the kid has the goods to be a top-150 guy in the 2015 graduating class and deserves further praises. With lone offers from Northern Iowa and Drake, and limited interest coming from North Dakota, Green Bay, and Valparaiso, it would be a good idea of some Big 10 and Big 12 programs to jump on board with the Iowa guard. If Seales’ performances would have come a week earlier in front of the college coaches, the kid’s phone would be a lot busier and his offer and interest list be a bit longer.

Iowa preps moved McDermott from 17 in July  to 10th. Seales is 6th.  One writer had this to say about Seales.

Iowa Barnstormers & Cortez Seales Make A Run

May 6, 2014 by Roundball Rundown Report Leave a comment

The one name that I did not get to however, and my breakout performer of the entire event, is 6’4 lefty wing, Cortez Seales. Watching him on a Saturday night affair against Wisconsin Playground Warriors, Seales immediately stood out to me with the way he controlled the ball and his frame at the 2-spot on the floor. He seems to never force the issue, though most of his game and scoring comes from below the arc, and the Iowa guard is more than capable of facilitating and distributing for his unit. Upon walking away highly impressed with the Davenport native, I wanted to make sure that this kid was legit and put his 9:15AM game on my schedule for the following day in being placed up against the Mac Irvin Fire and highly touted wing, Davon Dillard.

What the North Scott High star did the following morning was tremendous; with his team down 47-30 in the first half, the off guard put his team on his back in finishing with 22 points off of 9-12 shooting from the floor, corralled five rebounds, dished out five assists, and turned the ball over just once, and helped his squad come away with a big time W. The Barnstormers had problems with Fire’s Luwane Pipkins in controlling the ball in the backcourt and placed the rock into Seales’ hands in running the show. After Dillard couldn’t slow down the 6’4 guard, Fire placed the 5’8 Pipkins on him in hopefully taking the ball away from the Iowa guard. Unfortunately for the Chicago-based program, the ‘Stormers guard used his bigger body to back the little guard down until he got below the perimeter where he made the appropriate play, making for an even easier time for Seales in controlling the floor.

Seales’ game is all about making the right move on the hardwood and his mid-range game is supremely polished, where he is more than capable of scoring over a contested hand. He can also make others better in the half court and rebounds the ball at a high rate on both sides of the glass. The one knock on his game would be in his 3-point shooting as I only saw Seales attempt one long-range jumper all weekend long, of which he hit to start his Sunday morning game. Regardless the kid has the goods to be a top-150 guy in the 2015 graduating class and deserves further praises. With lone offers from Northern Iowa and Drake, and limited interest coming from North Dakota, Green Bay, and Valparaiso, it would be a good idea of some Big 10 and Big 12 programs to jump on board with the Iowa guard. If Seales’ performances would have come a week earlier in front of the college coaches, the kid’s phone would be a lot busier and his offer and interest list be a bit longer.

Great article.

Iowa preps moved McDermott from 17 in July to 10th. Seales is 6th. One writer had this to say about Seales. Iowa Barnstormers & Cortez Seales Make A Run

May 6, 2014 by Roundball Rundown Report Leave a comment

Good chance he fills Troy Huffs' shoes at UND; albeit those are big shoes to full, but Seales seems to be a real good scorer.

Though you are the only one with that opinion amongst people that attend zero games because they are too far to drive to on school nights.

What does that have to do with me being a fan of UND basketball? I have been a fan of Nebraska football since the 80's but have never been to Lincoln so that means I can't have an opinion?

Yeah I am, you don't think Jones should be gone, thus making fun of the fire Jones thread.

What I meant was I wanted Mussman fired. (the pay closer attention comment). 

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/15920-fire-muss/?p=641753

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/15920-fire-muss/?p=648666

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/15920-fire-muss/?p=648674

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/15920-fire-muss/?p=650593

I just didn't think he (Mussman) deserved to be fired (or a thread started) after two games into a football season (like you did). Let alone the fact they went 8-3 that year ( i know i know they played black hills, sioux falls etc). I wanted him fired after he went 3-8. See the difference?

That's another story all together though.

Just like its ridiculous to want Jones fired: 1) after two years in the Big Sky. 2) getting better ever year in the big sky. 3) the program's first berth in the Big Sky Tournament title game after leading the squad to a second-place finish in the league standings.

You dont' fire someone on the way up. You fire them on the way down.

• Upvote 2

What I meant was I wanted Mussman fired. (the pay closer attention comment). 

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/15920-fire-muss/?p=641753

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/15920-fire-muss/?p=648666

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/15920-fire-muss/?p=648674

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/15920-fire-muss/?p=650593

I just didn't think he (Mussman) deserved to be fired (or a thread started) after two games into a football season (like you did). Let alone the fact they went 8-3 that year ( i know i know they played black hills, sioux falls etc). I wanted him fired after he went 3-8. See the difference?

That's another story all together though.

Just like its ridiculous to want Jones fired: 1) after two years in the Big Sky. 2) getting better ever year in the big sky. 3) the program's first berth in the Big Sky Tournament title game after leading the squad to a second-place finish in the league standings.

You dont' fire someone on the way up. You fire them on the way down.

You wanted him fired after 3-8 so in 2010 right? The thread was started after an ass kicking UND got from Idaho, so after a loss to Sioux Falls, losing twice (badly) to Idaho, and a 3-8 season you still wanted to give him a chance in 2011?   Also about Jones's team on the way up....

2006-07  11-17

2007-08  15-15

2008-09  16-12

2009-10  8-23

2010-11 19-15

2011-12 17-14

2012-13 16-17

2013-14  17-17

How is going from 19-15 in 2010-2011  to 17-17 last season on the way up??  Unless you like being in the CIT Tournament.   Now back to the recruits.

You wanted him fired after 3-8 so in 2010 right? The thread was started after an ass kicking UND got from Idaho, so after a loss to Sioux Falls, losing twice (badly) to Idaho, and a 3-8 season you still wanted to give him a chance in 2011?   Also about Jones's team on the way up....

2006-07  11-17

2007-08  15-15

2008-09  16-12

2009-10  8-23

2010-11 19-15

2011-12 17-14

2012-13 16-17

2013-14  17-17

How is going from 19-15 in 2010-2011  to 17-17 last season on the way up??  Unless you like being in the CIT Tournament.   Now back to the recruits.

It's hard to look at records when there has been a major conference change in the last 2 years compared to the first couple of years of transition when we played in the Great West.  Being third in the Big Sky conference our first year and losing on basically a last second shot against Weber in the semi's to losing in the finals against Weber with 3 of our top 6 players injured is definitely a move up.  Our non league competition continues to get tougher as well as the league.  I compare us from years past to how we do in the conference championships versus the competition level.

It's hard to look at records when there has been a major conference change in the last 2 years compared to the first couple of years of transition when we played in the Great West.  Being third in the Big Sky conference our first year and losing on basically a last second shot against Weber in the semi's to losing in the finals against Weber with 3 of our top 6 players injured is definitely a move up.  Our non league competition continues to get tougher as well as the league.  I compare us from years past to how we do in the conference championships versus the competition level.

We lost to Cal Poly, Bowling Green, a one win SUU team, and a transitioning Omaha last year. Jones hasn't won an OOC road game since Longwood in Feb. 2012. I think if he lays an egg this season Faison should look for a new coach, or we may end up in the same situation the football team is in.