SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 Recruiting

Hambone

Considering how much of a weakness rebounding is right now, and that Hooker will be the leading returning rebounder next season, I'm concerned exactly how this situation is going to get fixed without bringing in at least one more new player beyond the already-announced signees. Who is going to rebound next year? Maybe Shanks replaces Nash's seven boards per game, but there is still a huge void. My opinion is that at least one, and maybe two underclassmen will not return, and Jones will need to find somebody who can actually rebound, particularly to fill the four spot.

Considering how much of a weakness rebounding is right now, and that Hooker will be the leading returning rebounder next season, I'm concerned exactly how this situation is going to get fixed without bringing in at least one more new player beyond the already-announced signees. Who is going to rebound next year? Maybe Shanks replaces Nash's seven boards per game, but there is still a huge void. My opinion is that at least one, and maybe two underclassmen will not return, and Jones will need to find somebody who can actually rebound, particularly to fill the four spot.

What underclassmen are you thinking?

I would start with any junior who is hardly playing at all. Particularly a fourth-year junior.

So Benton? He hasn't really provided much, could be a Hobaugh like player just providing hustle and heart. I was thinking you were talking about sophomores and freshmen like Hooker, Cashman, Shields and Crandall.

So Benton? He hasn't really provided much, could be a Hobaugh like player just providing hustle and heart. I was thinking you were talking about sophomores and freshmen like Hooker, Cashman, Shields and Crandall.

The problem is that Hobaugh has surpassed Benton, and Hobaugh isn't even on scholarship. I know it's not necessarily a popular opinion, but I have a philosophical problem with bringing back a fifth-year senior on scholarship if he's not actually going to play, unless it's due to injury. Scholarships are too valuable to use in that regard IMO.

If Collins or McDermott cant beat out Coleman, there is an issue.

Im expecting Seales and either Collins or McDermott to play day 1

I don't agree with this. Coleman seems like he could be a decent player if given the opportunity. He hasn't been given much of a chance this season though. A senior with experience should beat out a freshman.

Coleman already seems to be an odd-man out. I would think he is a candidate to not return next season. Too bad he seems very athletic. I would like to see him getting some of Tyler's minutes. One would think he could grab a rebound or two and play good defense.

He has really disappointed, I had expected much more. I get a little transition but I'd rather have Houbaugh playing over him.

I don't agree with this. Coleman seems like he could be a decent player if given the opportunity. He hasn't been given much of a chance this season though. A senior with experience should beat out a freshman.

Ill take the talent, no matter what the age. If they can play better than Coleman, play them.

So I have refrained posting here for months but I feel the need now. I am Josiahs father & barnstormers coach and coached both Josiah and Tez Seales as well as McDermott in MS. Josiah struggled offensively in his transition in the 1st 8 games or so but avgd 5 rbs & 2.5 stls or so as a starter and is the most versatile defender on the team capable of guarding 1z4 positions. The coaches have decided to go 3guard and severly limit josiahs monutes as of late. Jo is wotking hard and being a great teammate encouraging his teammates despite knowing he can help in areas of struggle, defense, rebounding, moving the ball, and making open shots. The ball movement early in the year wasn't nearly as fluid as it is now so Jo didn't get many opportunities except in the home games due to lack of defensive pressue but he showed when there is ball movement he can make open looks. Jo will continue to work hard, be a good teammate, work hard in class and be ready if his number is called. SWSiouxmn if u want to continue to down him feel free. I can't speak to Collins but with all due respect to McDermott a former player who has worked very hard to earn his scholly he will most likely redshirt next year. He would tell you he is not better than Jo right now. Tez would tell u the same thing, tez told me after his visit, jo lit him up and it was making him mad. Tez will play and play a lot next year, his handle will give him success in the ball screen offense.

• Upvote 3

So I have refrained posting here for months but I feel the need now. I am Josiahs father & barnstormers coach and coached both Josiah and Tez Seales as well as McDermott in MS. Josiah struggled offensively in his transition in the 1st 8 games or so but avgd 5 rbs & 2.5 stls or so as a starter and is the most versatile defender on the team capable of guarding 1z4 positions. The coaches have decided to go 3guard and severly limit josiahs monutes as of late. Jo is wotking hard and being a great teammate encouraging his teammates despite knowing he can help in areas of struggle, defense, rebounding, moving the ball, and making open shots. The ball movement early in the year wasn't nearly as fluid as it is now so Jo didn't get many opportunities except in the home games due to lack of defensive pressue but he showed when there is ball movement he can make open looks. Jo will continue to work hard, be a good teammate, work hard in class and be ready if his number is called. SWSiouxmn if u want to continue to down him feel free. I can't speak to Collins but with all due respect to McDermott a former player who has worked very hard to earn his scholly he will most likely redshirt next year. He would tell you he is not better than Jo right now. Tez would tell u the same thing, tez told me after his visit, jo lit him up and it was making him mad. Tez will play and play a lot next year, his handle will give him success in the ball screen offense.   

Josiah would help this team on the boards from the 3.   UND with small guards and centers who do not rebound that well. Jo can help on the boards and on the surface it seems he should get more time.... Playing time is earned during practice  and some times JUCO kids need a year of  seasoning to blossom.  Other than FG% JO stats are not bad . He is rebounding at the second best  clip per minute played and and averaging 1 steal every 14.6 minutes.   

Do not see Benton leaving and coaches very rarely pull a scholarship.  If Benton has is degree he might move on.  Doubt if anyone will quit this spring , why turn down a  trip to Italy this summer .

We'll see. I'm not sure I see the difference between Benton and the situation with Nick Haugen a few years back. I just think there's a difference between pulling a scholarship in the first four years, and not inviting somebody back for a fifth year if he's not going to play. You just can't afford to have many players on scholarship who either aren't ready to play yet, or who clearly never will.

The fact of the matter is that Jones knows full well that after probably winning fewer than 10 games this year, he needs to get back at least to .500 next season, or else that could be it for him. Not sure how much improvement is realistic with such a weak rebounding team, minus it's best rebounder by far, at least statistically (Nash). 

Hopefully Bernstine does make a difference, but at just over 200 pounds, I'm not sure he's necessarily the answer right away. It would be nice to have a stronger player--230 pounds plus--even if he's only 6'5" or 6'6". And to get somebody like that, somebody on the current team would have to go.

Thank you for your post and honesty. I have said it many times that I do not understand why Jones is starting 3 small point guards and continuously getting out rebounded by even the worst rebounding teams in the league ( which I guess makes us the worst).  You son has the height and athletic ability to help us out in those areas which are much needed.  From what I have seen he also has a very nice shot but if a shooter is not given the ball or reps its hard to get into any rhythm.  I sure hope Jones and company get their heads out of their **sses before long so we can salvage something out of this season.  I hope Josh keeps his head up as he can be a very big asset to this team.  Jones is for some reason in love with playing his point guards almost every minute of the game and by the end of the season none of them will have any legs underneath them.

We'll see. I'm not sure I see the difference between Benton and the situation with Nick Haugen a few years back. I just think there's a difference between pulling a scholarship in the first four years, and not inviting somebody back for a fifth year if he's not going to play. You just can't afford to have many players on scholarship who either aren't ready to play yet, or who clearly never will.

The fact of the matter is that Jones knows full well that after probably winning fewer than 10 games this year, he needs to get back at least to .500 next season, or else that could be it for him. Not sure how much improvement is realistic with such a weak rebounding team, minus it's best rebounder by far, at least statistically (Nash). 

Hopefully Bernstine does make a difference, but at just over 200 pounds, I'm not sure he's necessarily the answer right away. It would be nice to have a stronger player--230 pounds plus--even if he's only 6'5" or 6'6". And to get somebody like that, somebody on the current team would have to go.

Birnstine not as light as Nash.  Birnstine can play the 3 or4.  If UND can recruit a bruiser to get rebounds Birnstine could play the 3.  Taking a kids free ride not good PR and could hurt recruiting.... The staff made a mistake on the  kid live with it.  Plus redshirting him kept him around for 5 years instead of 4.  Maybe Shane will graduate or give up is scholly... Being that he averaged 9 ppg and was only 2nd team all conference in high school  Jones should not have redshirted him and let him finish in 4

Birnstine not as light as Nash.  Birnstine can play the 3 or4.  If UND can recruit a bruiser to get rebounds Birnstine could play the 3.  Taking a kids free ride not good PR and could hurt recruiting.... The staff made a mistake on the  kid live with it.  Plus redshirting him kept him around for 5 years instead of 4.  Maybe Shane will graduate or give up is scholly... Being that he averaged 9 ppg and was only 2nd team all conference in high school  Jones should not have redshirted him and let him finish in 4

Sometimes easier said than done. Especially if a coach's job is potentially on the line. I still maintain that Jones needs to do something to help himself. I'm sure he never figured rebounding would be this much of an issue, and now he needs to make a roster adjustment or two or risk having the same issue again next season.

from rivals hoops. North Dakota are getting  a steal in Cortez Seales. A 6-foot-4 shooting guard, Seales.... North Scott team took a tough loss but it wasn't without a fight from him. A slender athlete who is adept at creating space, Seales has a balanced game and he rebounds his position extremely well. He finished with 25 points and 12 rebounds to go along with a pair of assists. 

Here's an article on Bernstine from when he was a senior in high school two years ago: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_22351784/cherokee-trail-basketball-star-roderick-bernstine-son-former

He was apparently listed at 6'6" in high school. I wonder if he really has grown another inch or two?

His dad played in the NFL at between 235 and 240 pounds, so hopefully he can fill out to a similar extent in the coming years.

I hope everyone is right about Birnstine but he did nothing at Denver to warrant all this excitement.  I guess I am missing something.