SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 Recruiting

Hambone

We lost to Cal Poly, Bowling Green, a one win SUU team, and a transitioning Omaha last year. Jones hasn't won an OOC road game since Longwood in Feb. 2012. I think if he lays an egg this season Faison should look for a new coach, or we may end up in the same situation the football team is in.

Brilliant idea to put a coach's job on the line the year after he loses 90%+ of his production to graduation and will have new starters at 3 or 4 new spots minimum.

Brilliant idea to put a coach's job on the line the year after he loses 90%+ of his production to graduation and will have new starters at 3 or 4 new spots minimum.

His job should've been on the line last year with his lineup of seniors. 17-17 with them makes me cringe at what the lineup of newcomers will result in.

Its a good start to the recruiting trail for this year. That backcourt has the potential to be very scary once again. Now lets see if we can't any depth at the 4's and 5's.

I wonder how many of the recruits will get playing time right away to see what they can do against DI competition.

I am not taking a position as to Jones' status, but one could argue that by assembling a roster with such an inordinate number of players in one senior class, a coach really shouldn't be able to use that as an excuse the following year if things go badly. IMO, this was a result of an over-reliance on transfers in recent years at the expense of high school recruiting, which resulted in a less-than-optimal balance of scholarships amongst the classes. With that said, I am encouraged by the current freshman class, and the committed players for next year. There will be growing pains this year, but I still feel that there should be certain minimum expectations, such as finishing at or near .500 in the league. There is enough talent for that to happen, IMO.

His job should've been on the line last year with his lineup of seniors. 17-17 with them makes me cringe at what the lineup of newcomers will result in.

Why is it assumed he had great players last year? Just because they were seniors doesn't make them great. Just makes them old. Those seniors were recruited during Great West days when UND was firmly planted at the bottom of the D1 chain. these players had minimal D1 offers at the time, if any. Fast forward to today and Jones is getting kids with multiple D1 offers. That alone is a signal of great progression of this program. Looks like job well done to me.

• Upvote 1

So you wanted him coaching for his job after the first year in the Big Sky where he finished third, had the best conference record for a first year team and lost in the conference semi-finals in the final seconds?  Glad you aren't the AD, UND wouldn't be able to handle the debt they would have acquired from all the buyouts from your knee-jerk reactions.

I'm not trying to give Jones a lifetime contract but I am looking at the realities of the situation before I'm going to be publicly stating his job should be on the line.

• Upvote 2

I wonder how many of the recruits will get playing time right away to see what they can do against DI competition.

I would think both would transfer over to the 2 or 3 spot.  Tyler would more than likely see time at the 2 with Antwi backing him up.  I see Hooker and Crandall at PG.  Stefan and Coleman at the 3.  Depending on what else happens I could see one or both getting significant time right away, with Antwi and Stefan gone next year and being major upgrades

I am not taking a position as to Jones' status, but one could argue that by assembling a roster with such an inordinate number of players in one senior class, a coach really shouldn't be able to use that as an excuse the following year if things go badly. IMO, this was a result of an over-reliance on transfers in recent years at the expense of high school recruiting, which resulted in a less-than-optimal balance of scholarships amongst the classes. With that said, I am encouraged by the current freshman class, and the committed players for next year. There will be growing pains this year, but I still feel that there should be certain minimum expectations, such as finishing at or near .500 in the league. There is enough talent for that to happen, IMO.

Won't argue that point, but it was the way to get a couple guys to commit that may not have, offer them playing time right away and a chance to do something special their last two years.  They almost accomplished it but fell short.  I think that the classes are slowly getting balanced out from the "all-in" plan.  Seems that the majority of the transfers were an attempt at a quick-fix down low.  Had Brekke not gotten hurt a few different times, I think one or two of those transfers don't come to UND.

I think the team will surprise some this year and make some noise.  May not finish as high in the standings or make it as far in the conference tournament, but will do better than where they are being projected.

So you wanted him coaching for his job after the first year in the Big Sky where he finished third, had the best conference record for a first year team and lost in the conference semi-finals in the final seconds?  Glad you aren't the AD, UND wouldn't be able to handle the debt they would have acquired from all the buyouts from your knee-jerk reactions.

I'm not trying to give Jones a lifetime contract but I am looking at the realities of the situation before I'm going to be publicly stating his job should be on the line.

I think most of the heartburn over Jones stems not from his won-lost record, but from being frustrated with the team's play the last couple of years.  The senior talent never really improved in 4 years, we turtled constantly on the road, and we appeared to play selfishly and not do the little things such as box out.  Many games turned into a one on five offense.  Many expected much more from the recently departed class than 17-17.  He brought in a very talented group as freshmen and showed little ability to either add to them or coach em up.  Whether this criticism is fair or not is another question.  He may have had to coach the kids he could get and did the best he could, or he may have a discipline problem (disciplined play, not other issues).  We'll know a lot more after this year.  

Nothing wrong with a Princeton offense. But since it takes an unselfish team to pass a lot, it was doomed with the players mindsets. See above note from Irish.

Except when the offense was run it was before Huff, Anderson, Schuler, Brekke, Webb and those guys.  When those guys came in, the idea of the Princeton offense came and went thank god.

I think most of the heartburn over Jones stems not from his won-lost record, but from being frustrated with the team's play the last couple of years.  The senior talent never really improved in 4 years, we turtled constantly on the road, and we appeared to play selfishly and not do the little things such as box out.  Many games turned into a one on five offense.  Many expected much more from the recently departed class than 17-17.  He brought in a very talented group as freshmen and showed little ability to either add to them or coach em up.  Whether this criticism is fair or not is another question.  He may have had to coach the kids he could get and did the best he could, or he may have a discipline problem (disciplined play, not other issues).  We'll know a lot more after this year.  

I fully agree that Jones is fair game from criticism and I am in full agreement with your points.  The OOC record is incredibly disappointing, the team seemed to play its best basketball during conference play and tournament time.  While the teams might not have been as good, I don't think there were the same issues with the players the first few years he was here compared to what we saw the last two.  This year will be a pretty good testing ground for him to prove that.  But to say that "if he lays an egg" that he should be fired is not only baseless its not even realistic.

• Upvote 1

I fully agree that Jones is fair game from criticism and I am in full agreement with your points.  The OOC record is incredibly disappointing, the team seemed to play its best basketball during conference play and tournament time.  While the teams might not have been as good, I don't think there were the same issues with the players the first few years he was here compared to what we saw the last two.  This year will be a pretty good testing ground for him to prove that.  But to say that "if he lays an egg" that he should be fired is not only baseless its not even realistic.

Shouldn't all this debate be under the "2014-2015 Season" rather than "Recruiting"?

I think most of the heartburn over Jones stems not from his won-lost record, but from being frustrated with the team's play the last couple of years. The senior talent never really improved in 4 years, we turtled constantly on the road, and we appeared to play selfishly and not do the little things such as box out. Many games turned into a one on five offense. Many expected much more from the recently departed class than 17-17. He brought in a very talented group as freshmen and showed little ability to either add to them or coach em up. Whether this criticism is fair or not is another question. He may have had to coach the kids he could get and did the best he could, or he may have a discipline problem (disciplined play, not other issues). We'll know a lot more after this year.

Again, what was the indicator on a relative basis (big sky caliber) that this was a talented group?

Jones does pretty well for coaching  in the coldest city in the Big Sky Conf. not having much D1 in state talent, perhaps being the lowest paid head D1 mens coach in the country plus the assistants get bottom dollar.  NDSU pays new coach 175-190K per year and he has never been a D1  HC. or top assistant at high major school.   UND  has a lot of D1 transfers on roster ....good high schools kids not lining up to come to Grand Forks.. UND is tough sell to players . UND not going to get a proven D1 coach for anywhere near 100k a season. Jones is has been either or pretty lucky to get players to compete. 

• Upvote 1