SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 Recruiting

Hambone

• 4 weeks later...

DeLaSalle, MN (Josh Collins) vs North Scott, IA (Cortez Seales)

De 29 - NS 35 Half

De 64- NS 67 Final

Josh Collins 3pt-5/9, 2pt-1/2, 17pts.

After two misses from behind the arc, he ran off three in a row, missed another, and made a fourth before the half ended. Likes the corner. His fifth three came in the final minute of the game when De was down six, pulled up and drained it. Defensively played very physical in post when needed, and got low and wide when defending outside, was quite fast laterally. Good all around game.

Cortez Seales 3pt-2/2, 2pt-8/10, FT-7/7 29pts (15 first half). Wow! Player of the Game. De upped the defensive pressure in second half and it was getting to his team. De tied the game and he put his team on his back. When they needed a score he went to his move, also three times in a row. Left wing or elbow, drive to the block and finished with the ball going off left side glass and in. Always against a defender, sometimes two. He did not finish right, he actually missed one of his shots on right side trying to finish left, but he didn't need to go that way, he was just so strong with the ball. Defensively, he also defended the post well when needed, banging in the paint. Top side defense was very good, creating a couple turnovers and getting a block straight up on a drive from his guy. Rebounded very well also, attacking the rim and going up strong and grabbing it.

Both players look to be very nice additions to the basketball program with different styles of play.

• Upvote 1

DeLaSalle, MN (Josh Collins) vs North Scott, IA (Cortez Seales)

De 29 - NS 35 Half

De 64- NS 67 Final

Josh Collins 3pt-5/9, 2pt-1/2, 17pts.

After two misses from behind the arc, he ran off three in a row, missed another, and made a fourth before the half ended. Likes the corner. His fifth three came in the final minute of the game when De was down six, pulled up and drained it. Defensively played very physical in post when needed, and got low and wide when defending outside, was quite fast laterally. Good all around game.

Cortez Seales 3pt-2/2, 2pt-8/10, FT-7/7 29pts (15 first half). Wow! Player of the Game. De upped the defensive pressure in second half and it was getting to his team. De tied the game and he put his team on his back. When they needed a score he went to his move, also three times in a row. Left wing or elbow, drive to the block and finished with the ball going off left side glass and in. Always against a defender, sometimes two. He did not finish right, he actually missed one of his shots on right side trying to finish left, but he didn't need to go that way, he was just so strong with the ball. Defensively, he also defended the post well when needed, banging in the paint. Top side defense was very good, creating a couple turnovers and getting a block straight up on a drive from his guy. Rebounded very well also, attacking the rim and going up strong and grabbing it.

Both players look to be very nice additions to the basketball program with different styles of play.

Thanks for the report - good to hear they both played well!!

• 3 weeks later...

So do we still have one available scholarship? Should have four coming in next year so far and five leaving with Antwi, Salmonson, Calcaterra, Nash and Stefan (if he is even with the team anymore).

As far as I know, Stefan never was on scholarship, so somebody else would have to leave early in order for another scholarship to become available. Even then, it wouldn't surprise me if Hobaugh would be awarded a scholarship should one become available.

Do they do partial scholarships in basketball or are they all fulls?  I ask because in FBS every scholarship counts as one, whether it's full or partial.

Considered a "head-count" sport, so anyone on scholarship counts as one, whether its full or not.  13 allowed for men.

• 2 weeks later...

Cortez Seales of North Scott High in Iowa looks like a pretty big steal for North Dakota. Kind of surprised MVC schools let him get away

At half, N Scott gets NBA 3 from Seales. He has 11, N Scott 28-25 leads CDH. Gresham 8, Neumann 6

I have been thinking the same thing lately. Really excited about our guards next year.

I have been thinking the same thing lately. Really excited about our guards next year.... Cortez likely to play the 3 next season ..UND needs help at that spot. Cortez was excellent vs the now healthy preseason number one team in MN.

Cortez Seales finished with 25 points and 12 rebounds. #iahsbkb

0 replies1 retweet1 favorite
 Retweet1
 Favorite1
More

Can't say it enough - Cortez Seales is an absolute steal for North Dakota.

No question about it, Seales is a big time get. I like him coming out of HS better than both Crandall and Hooker and those two are going to end up being really good for UND.. I've said it a few times, but the 3 HS kids MBB signed this Nov have the potential to be really really good for UND. 

Collins and Mcdermott are looking like role players/projects  likely to redshirt.

I would hope/think they would. We have plenty of guards for next year no reason to waste a year of them on the bench like Shields. I think they both will be very good players for us though, not just role players. Do we still have room to add Brady Ernst? Would be nice to get him in this class but I don't think we have any scholarships still available.

no scholarships left.  Collins getting 10pts a game .  Pretty much a spot up shooter, good athlete  who can defend from the small fwd slot.  Not very skilled with respect to ball handling and passing.   At 6'4/5" he rarely puts the ball on the floor .. Role would be strong defender.  Adam has good guard size  at 6'4," not much of an athlete OK  skills,  only strength is perimeter shooting. His team a preseason top 2 3A school in Iowa is now unranked and has lost more than won.  See him as a possible zone buster.  Seales ...if he keeps improving his range will be a excellent off guard.  Has some lead guard skills, High IQ, very good mid-range game and he can put the ball on the floor.  Seales might be need to play  3 slot at UND for a year or 2 since they have very little success at the 3 with current players.  UND will need to shore up the 3 spot so Seales can play guard ..probably will transfer if UND does not move him to a guard slot by his junior year. Him and Geno should be a very good to outstanding guard combo.

no scholarships left. Collins getting 10pts a game . Pretty much a spot up shooter, good athlete who can defend from the small fwd slot. Not very skilled with respect to ball handling and passing. At 6'4/5" he rarely puts the ball on the floor .. Role would be strong defender. Adam has good guard size at 6'4," not much of an athlete OK skills, only strength is perimeter shooting. His team a preseason top 2 3A school in Iowa is now unranked and has lost more than won. See him as a possible zone buster. Seales ...if he keeps improving his range will be a excellent off guard. Has some lead guard skills, High IQ, very good mid-range game and he can put the ball on the floor. Seales might be need to play 3 slot at UND for a year or 2 since they have very little success at the 3 with current players. UND will need to shore up the 3 spot so Seales can play guard ..probably will transfer if UND does not move him to a guard slot by his junior year. Him and Geno should be a very good to outstanding guard combo.

I haven't seen any of them play live, just their highlights but Collins seems like he already has the body to play college basketball. He may not have the skill but like you said I have to think he will at the least be a good defender for us. McDermott I see as being a nice 3-pt threat that we have been needing. I think he could be similar to what Schuler was if not better. Seales is going to be a stud, plain and simple. I would imagine he plays from day one.

no scholarships left. Collins getting 10pts a game . Pretty much a spot up shooter, good athlete who can defend from the small fwd slot. Not very skilled with respect to ball handling and passing. At 6'4/5" he rarely puts the ball on the floor .. Role would be strong defender. Adam has good guard size at 6'4," not much of an athlete OK skills, only strength is perimeter shooting. His team a preseason top 2 3A school in Iowa is now unranked and has lost more than won. See him as a possible zone buster. Seales ...if he keeps improving his range will be a excellent off guard. Has some lead guard skills, High IQ, very good mid-range game and he can put the ball on the floor. Seales might be need to play 3 slot at UND for a year or 2 since they have very little success at the 3 with current players. UND will need to shore up the 3 spot so Seales can play guard ..probably will transfer if UND does not move him to a guard slot by his junior year. Him and Geno should be a very good to outstanding guard combo.

We are talking about a kid transferring if he doesn't get to be listed as a guard by the time he's a junior? Do I have that right? A kid that isn't even at UND yet? Who knows if there will be a different coaching staff in place before this player completes his eligibility. What will the offense be? Three guard? Motion? I would think most players would play where the coaches feel they would best help the team to win games. Just a puzzling comment, IMO.