SiouxSports.com Forum

Gwoz resigns

dmksioux

The last Shore brother, Baker Shore, is only 13 and Gwoz himself said he might be the best player of the 4 boys. Maybe Gwoz getting pushed out of Denver would open him up to other schools. I am sure he would look good in green.

Would love to see a few of those recruits choose to come to UND if they do the hated decomit

Hopefully they would be recruits for a couple years down the line, because I don't know how good it looks for other guys that committed a long time ago to get pushed back for "a last second steal". Could work against you in future recruiting, but then again, it is a business and we all know the coaches are in a "just win" environment.

Hopefully they would be recruits for a couple years down the line, because I don't know how good it looks for other guys that committed a long time ago to get pushed back for "a last second steal". Could work against you in future recruiting, but then again, it is a business and we all know the coaches are in a "just win" environment.

So college hockey is no different than the NHL now? Maybe we should just start paying players salaries and get it over with. ???

Over-recruiting is a bad idea. Wisconsin has tried it and it really didn't help them all that much. And if you develop a reputation of being wishy-washy on committments, you run the risk of driving kids to the CHL. I think that situation is bad enough as it is. And other schools will start using that against us in recruiting.

Accepting transfers from other schools is tricky and can mess up team chemistry and divide the locker room. I hope Hakstol proceeds very carefully.

Apparently, Gwoz was quoted as saying something to the effect of, "I could get in trouble for saying this but I don't care. As far as I'm concerned, they'll always be the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux."

Gotta like it. A related note, there are some in Denver who want to bring back their old mascot, Daniel Boone. I wonder if Gwoz was supportive of that and it cost him with the administration? just speculation...

Gotta like it. A related note, there are some in Denver who want to bring back their old mascot, Daniel Boone. I wonder if Gwoz was supportive of that and it cost him with the administration? just speculation...

Gwoz HATED the cracking-egg eagle logo and had it removed from the arena and uniforms several years ago. While not openly wanting the Daniel Boone logo back, he did his best to make sure the interlocking DU logo was the primary hockey logo.

Gwoz says he not done coaching yet, be interesting to see who reaches out although his price tag might scare most away, I think I saw he was making about $220k...not sure if that was base or with incentives.

I would bet he's coaching somewhere next year. I know someone earlier mentioned Enrico Blasi possibly leaving Miami...coaching swap?

I like Blasi...but he has had more stunned looks on his face come post-season time than anyone. I wonder if he's thinking it might be time for a change?

Gwoz says he not done coaching yet, be interesting to see who reaches out although his price tag might scare most away, I think I saw he was making about $220k...not sure if that was base or with incentives.

And he needs that 220K to keep his fabulous wardrobe up to date!

Mich State or UW with all their Big Ten money will come calling. Mich State worries me. If they hired Gwoz the BT would become very strong. UW is middling along with Eaves, but he's shown capable of putting together a decent team.

Mich State or UW with all their Big Ten money will come calling. Mich State worries me. If they hired Gwoz the BT would become very strong. UW is middling along with Eaves, but he's shown capable of putting together a decent team.

Never thought of Mich State, they could become a power with him at the helm.

I don't think Wisconsin has the money to buy out Eaves' contract...and I think he may have saved himself with a Final Five title. MSU will give it one more year...but Anastos is definitely on a short leash.

Sounds like Gage Ausmus (EGF) is considering other schools now that Gwoz has been fired. I think he would probably want to come in next year so I don't know that UND would be an option but I think he would look at Duluth and maybe Minnesota would be a possibility now with the Alt news?

Sounds like Gage Ausmus (EGF) is considering other schools now that Gwoz has been fired. I think he would probably want to come in next year so I don't know that UND would be an option but I think he would look at Duluth and maybe Minnesota would be a possibility now with the Alt news?

I thought Ausmus was a 2014 recruit for DU?

Blasi made mention today on Twitter how much he's loved his time at Miami and that he hopes to have a long career there...so, no DU for him.

Even without the conference shake-up, this year seems more volatile than most with coaching changes. Parker leaves BU, Shyiak gets sacked (no surprise there), and Gwoz gets canned. And I'm sure we're not done for the season (Maine...we're looking at you).

We've discussed this one before...I'm actually stunned that a move hasn't been made there yet.

Yep, same here. Unless they've given up hope of being a top-tier program ever again. I'd like them to get a new coach and turn the program around solely because they're my only option for live college hockey viewing that doesn't involve taking an extensive trip. But, if I'm going to drive 2.5h each way to see a game or two, I'd prefer to not sit there and watch them get spanked at the hands of BC, BU, UNH, Vermont...well, I'm pretty sure they got killed by just about everyone this year.

Yep, same here. Unless they've given up hope of being a top-tier program ever again. I'd like them to get a new coach and turn the program around solely because they're my only option for live college hockey viewing that doesn't involve taking an extensive trip. But, if I'm going to drive 2.5h each way to see a game or two, I'd prefer to not sit there and watch them get spanked at the hands of BC, BU, UNH, Vermont...well, I'm pretty sure they got killed by just about everyone this year.

They announced a couple of weeks ago that they were going to undergo a comprehensive review of the program. What that means, I don't know.

They announced a couple of weeks ago that they were going to undergo a comprehensive review of the program. What that means, I don't know.

Interesting. I guess I had missed that. Below is the link to the Bangor Daily News story on it. If he only has one more year on his contract, maybe they wait it out. But if they're dropping 190K for him to coach a rather pathetic program, I'm sure they can scrounge up another 30k to have Gwoz turn it around.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/03/16/sports/tim-whiteheads-job-not-immediately-on-chopping-block-despite-planned-review-of-um-hockey-program/

So he wears nice suits and ties unlike Hakstol who could use some dressing tips. With the money Hakstol makes you would think he could buy some nice suits, shirts, and ties.

No one is more into themselves than Gwoz.

My favorite thing that he did was when he realized the camera was pointed at him he would pucker up, adjust his collar and lift his chin. After he got all fixed up he would check for the camera again by doing his most patented move, looking out of the corner of his eye. I absolutely loved that one!

Gwoz was a total dink but I loved him! He was an awesome antagonist for Sioux hockey. Plus he publicly stated that it was wrong that we had to change our name. For that he and his antics will forever have my respect.

BTW his ice walk was a simple fωck-up. He, out of habit, was leaving by crossing the ice. How he played it off with the ref once he realized it was absolute classic Gwoz. He will be missed! Dink!

• Upvote 1