SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2013-14 season

Frozen4sioux

Seems like were going to have to many forwards and defence unless they think that forbort is leaving which I don't think he's ready at all. St. Louis can take Schmaltz now!

First line I think

Drake or Mark-Rocco-Parks, I think Rocco is going to be the best at faceoffs next season, Mark has to work on them

Second line

Drake or Mark and whoever

Defence I think

Simpson and Forbort

Then I don't know. Captains, I'm thinking Hak might do the 3 seniors but I can't see any of them being captains, maybe Pattyn wears the C and Rocco,Simpson and Forbort with the A

You don't want Schmaltz anymore? He is only a freshman give him a chance to develop!

I guess my expectations are just too high for first rounders even though I think Schmaltz was really lucky to go in the first round. Seems like in last 10 years though we haven't had luck with first round defencemen.

In all honesty I think next year will be like 2011-2012, with all the changes on defense and really wondering where the scoring is going to come from I expect next years squad to be a .500 team...hope I'm wrong and it turns out as well as it did last year when guys rallied around injuries and grew up in a hurry, but at first glance we are going to be weaker defensively and lose 2 Hobey candidates on offense, and that will be hard to replace.

Well, I guess it is easier to just think about next season instead of the Yale debacle (version 2.0).

Here's how we're looking for next season as of today:

Forwards (13):

(SR) Mi-MacMillan, Rodwell

(JR) Gaarder, Ma-MacMillan, O'Donnell, Parks, Pattyn, Senkbeil

(SO) Caggiula, Chyzyk, Grimaldi, Sanderson, St. Clair

Defense (5):

(SR) Forbort, Simpson

(JR) Mattson, Panzarella

(SO) Schmaltz

Goalies (2):

(SR) Saunders

(SO) Gothberg

Potential Early Departures: Forbort, Simpson

Potential Incoming Freshmen: LaDue, Crisfield, Murphy, Poolman, Stecher, Tambellini, Johnson, Thompson

We'll need to add another practice goalie. Which freshmen dmen come in will depend on Forbort and Simpson's decisions. I'm excited about our freshmen forward group of Murphy, Tambellini, and Johnson...I think those three can come in and make contributions right away. We actually have a deep core of upperclassmen on this team, hopefully they can play like it. If Gothberg can refrain from letting in the occassional softie, I think he has great potential to be the shutdown goalie we've been waiting for. Then the only question is can this team score enough to make some noise come playoff time?

Rocco Parks and Mark Mac all have to figure out how to score.

The 3 coming back IMO that have the potential to have good years and really step up are Drake Colton and Bryn. Being in Fargo Chyzyk to me has great offensive upside. More than Colton. But something was a miss with him this year.

Pattyn is who he is. OD and Mitch...meh. Not a big fan of either. Connor had 5 goals... 3 in one game but I like his play. Jim and Derek are grinders...period.

Goaltending will be our strength and our D should be more consistent especially if Forbort is back. Schmaltz looked disinterested for the first 4 months of the season but improved a ton. Simpson is a stud. Mattson...goodness really regressed.

Next season will be a challenge unless Hak can coach em up and get more than they have to give...but that would be a first for him in his ten year stint.

Captains next year.....

C-Simpson

A-Forbort (If back)

A-Pattyn

A-Rodwell

Possibles: Mark, Parks.....ummm.......

No brainer here IMO...Pattyn w the "C". He is a Mario type and if Mario played yesterday I have no doubt the outcome is different. This team really lacked Sr. in your face leadership.

I'm not so sure a new goaltender needs to be a "practice" goalie. Get a guy that will come in and push the others for playing time. It works other places. There's no need for complacency at any position, especially the one that may be the most important.

I guess my expectations are just too high for first rounders even though I think Schmaltz was really lucky to go in the first round. Seems like in last 10 years though we haven't had luck with first round defencemen.

You are partly correct in that I too thought he should have been a little more well rounded as he was a 1st rounder, but he wasn't. Now you simply have to let him develope. He'll be a great college defenseman. I'm sure of it.

I thought he got better throughout the year and became a lot more consistent in the 2nd half of the season, I can really see him taking another huge step forward next season.

My stab at some lines

Luke Johnson- Rocco- Parks

Drake- Mark- Tambellini

Murphy- st. clair- mitch

Rodwell-Pattyn-Gaarder

chyzyk-senkbeil-sanderson, etc..

Simpson-Schmaltz

LaDue-Stecher

Mattson- Panzerella

(Poolman?, Thompson?)?

Zane

Clarke

This lineup excites me about as much as the prospect of a colonoscopy

My way to early take on next year line combos:

Caggiula(SO)-Grimaldi(SO)-Tambellini(FR)

Murphy(FR)-Mark Mac.(JR)-Parks(JR)

O'Donnell(JR)-St.Clair(SO)-Johnson(FR)

Gaarder(JR)-Pattyn(JR)-Rodwell(SR)

Mitch Mac.(SR)-Chyzk(SO)-Senkbeil(JR)

Sanderson(SO)-Voltin(FR)-Rowe(FR)

(Kind of doubt that we will see Voltin or Rowe next season as there really isn't room for them but they are scheduled to come in next year)

Forbort(SR)-Schmaltz(SO)

Simpson(SR)-Stecher(FR)

Mattson(JR)-LaDue(FR)

Poolman(FR)-Panzarella(JR)

Crisfield(FR) (scheduled to come in but I think he only does if someone leaves early and I don't think anyone is ready to go yet so hopefully everyone is back)

Gothberg(SO)

Saunders(SR)

Yet to Sign goalie(FR)

Rocco Parks and Mark Mac all have to figure out how to score.

The 3 coming back IMO that have the potential to have good years and really step up are Drake Colton and Bryn. Being in Fargo Chyzyk to me has great offensive upside. More than Colton. But something was a miss with him this year.

Pattyn is who he is. OD and Mitch...meh. Not a big fan of either. Connor had 5 goals... 3 in one game but I like his play. Jim and Derek are grinders...period.

Goaltending will be our strength and our D should be more consistent especially if Forbort is back. Schmaltz looked disinterested for the first 4 months of the season but improved a ton. Simpson is a stud. Mattson...goodness really regressed.

Next season will be a challenge unless Hak can coach em up and get more than they have to give...but that would be a first for him in his ten year stint.

I'm not even close to being in the fire Hak camp but I think even most in that camp would say last years team overachieved with the way things went and Hak got as much out of that group as he could.

• Upvote 2

I'm not even close to being in the fire Hak camp but I think even most in that camp would say last years team overachieved with the way things went and Hak got as much out of that group as he could.

That team played short but still had top 8 in the country overall talent with those who took the ice...which is where they finished.

Let's not forget the tougher league schedule next year. No Alaska-Anchorages, Muchugan Techs, or Bemidjis to count on for three or four point weekends. Home ice for NCHC first round will be a tough haul.

Here's hoping 2014 gels better than 2013. The D Corp is a concern, especially if Forbort moves on. We could be looking at a 2005 type season, hanging around .500 and then hopefully making an unexpected run. Bring on the new era of NCHC.

I think there's no way Simpson leaves early...he's made it perfectly clear throughout how important education is to him. Forbort is another matter.

Part of me is encouraged by the improvements that Schmaltz made toward the end of the season. But for some reason, a lot of defensemen seem to have sophomore slumps...Mattson did, and I think I even recall Blood having one, too.

I think Caggiula and St Clair are really going to step it up next year. And with the chemistry on that line, it could develop more into a grind line with a legitimate scoring threat as a opposed to solely a grind line. They generated quite a few chances on Saturday.

I think next year, it will be to our benefit to have two goaltenders with a lot of experience. I just hope Karl helps Zane with playing the puck over the summer.

Regardless of personnel, I think we really need to evaluate our systems on the forecheck, powerplay, breakout, and d zone coverage.

I would spend all summer bag skating guys with parachutes and weights.

We need to be quicker and make quicker, better passes.

We need to quit playing along the walls and start attacking the scoring areas.

We need to leave our zone with speed and numbers as a cohesive unit.

We need to put the puck on net and have guys winning battles to the rebound areas.

We need to make guys miss in order to advance the puck.

Regardless of personnel, I think we really need to evaluate our systems on the forecheck, powerplay, breakout, and d zone coverage.

I would spend all summer bag skating guys with parachutes and weights.

We need to be quicker and make quicker, better passes.

We need to quit playing along the walls and start attacking the scoring areas.

We need to leave our zone with speed and numbers as a cohesive unit.

We need to put the puck on net and have guys winning battles to the rebound areas.

We need to make guys miss in order to advance the puck.

So basically you're advocating Hak change his system and philosophy? I'm with you with everything above. The "skill" coming back and in next year can't and won't succeed with his dump chase cycle system.

I, for one, think next year's team will be just fine. I really like the incoming freshman and I believe Mark Mac and Parks will improve. They'll have a much tougher time winning a Natty but they should be a tough team to beat.