SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

Let's just stick to what you said earlier, rather than your completely different statement you made now....

You said in response to having a "brand".....

"......which pays off in terms of exposure. When Gonzaga started making runs in the NCAA tournament in the early 2000's, they attracted potential students who otherwise would not have even heard of the school."

So I'll ask it a different way: how many points did the brand score to contribute to the run in the NCAA tournament?    Or are you saying no one would have heard of Gonzaga after their great tournament runs if they did not have a nickname?  

and as far as the car statement, Sic and I were just having a little fun with an analogy back and forth; I figured what better way to forfeit victory to him by also giving him his beloved Roughrider name.    :)  

I'm going to pick this at random ... never mind Hal Gershman's letters about "no nickname is fine" to the GF Herald. ;) 

Say the phrase "Bottle Shops" was banned by the FCC from all advertising. (Wild, outlandish, yes, but let's just say.) 

Would "Happy Harry's Bottle Shops" go with just "Happy Harry's" in their ads, logo, and website, or would they become "Happy Harry's Wines and Liquors"? 

• Upvote 1

Let's just stick to what you said earlier, rather than your completely different statement you made now....

You said in response to having a "brand".....

"......which pays off in terms of exposure. When Gonzaga started making runs in the NCAA tournament in the early 2000's, they attracted potential students who otherwise would not have even heard of the school."

So I'll ask it a different way: how many points did the brand score to contribute to the run in the NCAA tournament?    Or are you saying no one would have heard of Gonzaga after their great tournament runs if they did not have a nickname?  

and as far as the car statement, Sic and I were just having a little fun with an analogy back and forth; I figured what better way to forfeit victory to him by also giving him his beloved Roughrider name.    :)  

Do you really think the average stiff sitting on their sofa at home will know the difference between North Dakota's interlocking "ND" and Notre Dame's interlocking "ND"?  Do you think that same average stiff sitting on the sofa will be able to distinguish between the University of North Dakota and North Dakota State University if one of those schools has no athletic nickname and logo?  I don't want us being called the "Bison" by anybody, accident or not.

Do you really think the average stiff sitting on their sofa at home will know the difference between North Dakota's interlocking "ND" and Notre Dame's interlocking "ND"?  Do you think that same average stiff sitting on the sofa will be able to distinguish between the University of North Dakota and North Dakota State University if one of those schools has no athletic nickname and logo?  I don't want us being called the "Bison" by anybody, accident or not.

If that bothers you, you have a valid point for wanting a name. 

But as far as i'm concerned, I don't care about the average stiff that doesn't know the difference between Notre Dame and UND.   odds are if he's that dumb, we don't need him here as a student, and he would probably never have the financial means to give back to the U. anyway.

Same goes for the sexually indifferent sons 70 miles to the south....   If someone can't differentiate between UNIVERSITY OF, and STATE UNIVERSITY, why is it worth my time to care?   They are irrelevant in terms of continuing the effort to make UND successful.

Yes, ultimately a sports moniker is about building a brand for your school.   

I think that's a narrow view.  Harvard has a brand, but it's not tied to their team name.  Same with MIT. 

If you're talking about building a brand with a new moniker, it's for the athletic teams not UND itself.  The school's been around since 1883 in spite of Flickertails, and will certainly maintain its own brand separate from the teams' name(s). 

As far as I'm concerned UND alums, students and other supporters of the Sioux moniker will allow it to live beyond the creation of something new for as long as they wear their Sioux gear and shout "Go Sioux!".   For example, on some of UND's Facebook feeds people write "Sioux" or "Go Sioux". I see very few "North Dakota".  The Sioux name may be officially retired, but it's not dead as long we carry it forward on our own terms. 

If that bothers you, you have a valid point for wanting a name. 

But as far as i'm concerned, I don't care about the average stiff that doesn't know the difference between Notre Dame and UND.   odds are if he's that dumb, we don't need him here as a student, and he would probably never have the financial means to give back to the U. anyway.

Same goes for the sexually indifferent sons 70 miles to the south....   If someone can't differentiate between UNIVERSITY OF, and STATE UNIVERSITY, why is it worth my time to care?   They are irrelevant in terms of continuing the effort to make UND successful.

:lol::D:)

Thanks for the laugh!  LOL

Michigan-M-jpg.jpg

How can THIS school manage to form a brand and identity without a wolverine logo?

The point is that if another school tried to use the big capitalized "M", they would be confused with Michigan all the time.  I don't want North Dakota to be confused with Notre Dame, especially now that we are Division I in all sports.

The point is that if another school tried to use the big capitalized "M", they would be confused with Michigan all the time.  I don't want North Dakota to be confused with Notre Dame, especially now that we are Division I in all sports.

Missouri, Montana State, and Minnesota use the "M".

I think that's a narrow view.  Harvard has a brand, but it's not tied to their team name.  Same with MIT. 

If you're talking about building a brand with a new moniker, it's for the athletic teams not UND itself.  The school's been around since 1883 in spite of Flickertails, and will certainly maintain its own brand separate from the teams' name(s). 

As far as I'm concerned UND alums, students and other supporters of the Sioux moniker will allow it to live beyond the creation of something new for as long as they wear their Sioux gear and shout "Go Sioux!".   For example, on some of UND's Facebook feeds people write "Sioux" or "Go Sioux". I see very few "North Dakota".  The Sioux name may be officially retired, but it's not dead as long we carry it forward on our own terms. 

When UND is on the same academic standing as Harvard or MIT your right, we won't need a nickname. 

Anyone confusing UND and ND should probably stop drinking.

• Upvote 1

When UND is on the same academic standing as Harvard or MIT your right, we won't need a nickname. 

I doubt very few people attend a school because it has a "cool" name as opposed to the quality of the education it offers. Then again, not much surprises me anymore.

I doubt very few people attend a school because it has a "cool" name as opposed to the quality of the education it offers. Then again, not much surprises me anymore.

I agree, they don't.  I will argue however that it is a quick way to easily identify a school.  Its an easy way to build tradition.  

Listening to the band drown out any chants done at games now is getting rather old. 

Michigan-M-jpg.jpg

How can THIS school manage to form a brand and identity without a wolverine logo?

You could have just as easily posted the Minnesota"M" or Miami(OH)"M", which are easily distinguished from one another. On many of their uniforms that is all they have, or maybe a tiny logo that is hardly seen. They seem to do just fine without a nickname or logo on those uniforms, so why do we need one? I will answer myself. We do not. President Kelley stated right when he started that the teams do not play for the logo, but the school. Just like most progressives, I guess he is allowed to change his mind.

Does UND want to be a real D-1 school?

I would hope so.

To do so, it takes $$$. Marketing and branding is not a joke. Profit from the sale of UND gear is down. Obviously because the Sioux logo is vanishing and nobody wants those ugly damn shirts/jerseys that just have "North Dakota" on them.

UND's athletic budget...the spending...is at about 22 million dollars. Schools like Colorado State University spend about 34 million. Wyoming spends about 27 million.

Want to play with the big boys...gotta have more revenue which equals more spending. CSU and UW aren't even the big boys. Yet, UND can't match them.

Personally, I have 7 Sioux hockey jerseys. 8 Sioux hoodies...20...yes 20 Sioux caps... winter caps, cell phone covers...t-shirts...on and on... all with Fighting Sioux name and logo. Stuff that can't be as easily found now. I have it for myself. I'll wear them proudly. But...

I want to see UND grow into a strong D-1 school. This generation in school needs a nickname/mascot...whatever. Something beyond "North Dakota" to brand the school. It is needed for marketing purposes. The name Fighting Sioux is no longer an option. It's dead.

Get over it and move on. Let this generation have their name. We had ours.

Don't be selfish and continue to act like petulant children. Grow up.

Speaking for the children as you call us, why don't you and the other adults put some concrete numbers together explaining how having a new nickname is going to translate into $12million per year of increased t-shirt sales so we can be on par with Colorado State?

I await your report like an impatient child.

Thank you.

So, sales of "UND", "North Dakota" merchandise are down?  

I don't know if that is true or not, I haven't seen a balance sheet, so I will take your word for it, There's quite a few people wearing the North Dakota jerseys at games. There's also a lot of people buying merchandise in the Sioux Shop during games. Some are in such a hurry to change to a new name, what happens if we get stuck with something that really sucks? Another two years would give the nickname committee more time to come up with an acceptable nickname. 

You could have just as easily posted the Minnesota"M" or Miami(OH)"M", which are easily distinguished from one another. On many of their uniforms that is all they have, or maybe a tiny logo that is hardly seen. They seem to do just fine without a nickname or logo on those uniforms, so why do we need one? I will answer myself. We do not. President Kelley stated right when he started that the teams do not play for the logo, but the school. Just like most progressives, I guess he is allowed to change his mind.

How many schools don't have a nickname?  Let me give you a hint......1.  How many schools have had a name but it was deemed negative or "hostile and abusive.".......several.  And how many of those teams forced to change their name currently have no nickname, just the name of the school.  I'll give you another hint.....1.  Now you think that schools like Marquette, Miami OH, and all the others on the 2005 "hostile and abusive list" who had to change their names thought about just keeping their school name and having no logo?  Most likely.  How many of them chose to have no nickname......(hint, hint, hitn) ZERO.  Now do you think there might be a reason for this?  I am thinking that they probably did some research and realized the lost revenue, no identity, and other issues was not worth it.  So they selected a new name. 

Now UND can choose to be unique and decide on a name.  But looking at what others, who have probably researched the affects of not having a name, UND should probably learn from them and not go down a road that will not be good for the University.

• Upvote 1