SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

The bright yellow one with the 4 time NC stuff on it....got a 2XL for you too...and a XS for Sic.

2XL? Sheesh. I realize the holidays weren't kind to me, but ouch! Did you also pick up the yellow and green banana hammock for 2011BisonAlumni? That trip to Cancun is coming up in February and he'll need to show off some "Bison pride" on the beach.

How many years does it take to pick a nickname?  So if they get two more years it won't "suck"?  

Time has nothing to do with it.  There are only so many nicknames out there and the future name has probably been mentioned already.  They are choosing to delay this for years when they really don't have to.  If somebody put a gun to their head and said to pick a name, they would.  

Delay, delay, delay is the academic way of claiming they are diverse and inclusive when they are really just too weak to act for fear of not everyone liking them. 

The "brand" revolves around that M...and nothing else.

What's wrong with the interlocking ND inside the green state of North Dakota logo?

Nothing.

But Michigan still uses "Wolverines".

Even with the M focal point, they still keep and use Wolverines. 

Nothing.

But Michigan still uses "Wolverines".

Even with the M focal point, they still keep and use Wolverines. 

It's their nickname, yes, but I'd challenge the assertion that an actual wolverine logo is necessary to distinguish it from other schools.  You pulled out a logo that hasn't been officially used by the school in almost 30 years!  When you think of the University of Wisconsin, is the first image in your mind that stupid Bucky Badger mascot roaming the sidelines or is it the "motion W"?

It's their nickname, yes, but I'd challenge the assertion that an actual wolverine logo is necessary to distinguish it from other schools.  When you think of the University of Wisconsin, is the first image in your mind that stupid Bucky Badger mascot skunk in a popcorn box roaming the sidelines or is it the "motion W"?

Fixed your post, and yes, the skunk is my first thought

When I think of Michigan, I think of the fugly helmets first. 

Still waiting for Hayduke and the other adults to show a projection chart or at least explain how a new nickname is going to result in increased merchandise sales by the millions, and put us on par with the big boys as he called them....

It sounds like the main two reasons we're choosing a name are 1.  Afraid of the ncaa.   and 2.  the gravy train of notoriety, championships, and cash that will rain down on campus.

I don't believe number 1 is valid;  the ncaa is not going to play thought police.   UND is not using Sioux anymore.   the ncaa cannot expect UND to control individual's actions.   They would have to make a universal ban on all indian logo clothing at every school.....that will not happen.

People like to throw around terms like "brand" and "licensing".    

You don't rebrand 130 years of history and tradition.   the University itself is the brand.  the interlocking ND is the logo. 

Millions will be spent to implement a new nickname no one likes.   It will be along time before that money is recouped with the sales of Sundog sweatshirts.

Oxbow6, ScottM,  among others are correct saying winning is what makes the difference in merchandise sales, exposure, and athletic department donations.  

anyway, recess is over, so, back to class.

• Upvote 1

Still waiting for Hayduke and the other adults to show a projection chart or at least explain how a new nickname is going to result in increased merchandise sales by the millions, and put us on par with the big boys as he called them....

It sounds like the main two reasons we're choosing a name are 1.  Afraid of the ncaa.   and 2.  the gravy train of notoriety, championships, and cash that will rain down on campus.

I don't believe number 1 is valid;  the ncaa is not going to play thought police.   UND is not using Sioux anymore.   the ncaa cannot expect UND to control individual's actions.   They would have to make a universal ban on all indian logo clothing at every school.....that will not happen.

People like to throw around terms like "brand" and "licensing".    

You don't rebrand 130 years of history and tradition.   the University itself is the brand.  the interlocking ND is the logo. 

Millions will be spent to implement a new nickname no one likes.   It will be along time before that money is recouped with the sales of Sundog sweatshirts.

Oxbow6, ScottM,  among others are correct saying winning is what makes the difference in merchandise sales, exposure, and athletic department donations.  

anyway, recess is over, so, back to class.

I threw out a question on this thread....How many NCAA schools currently have no nickname?  It your answer is 1, than you are correct.  Now why do schools need nicknames for their athletic teams?  If it is not important, why don't you see schools dropping their nuckname and just go as "Michigan" or "Notre Dame."?  Sure those schools have name recognition and branding on just the name of the school itself, but the chose to pick a nickname and still have it today?  Now why is that?  Answer that question and you will realize why a nickname is important to a University/College.

I'd have a lot easier time believe the "No Logo/Nickname" crowd if it wasn't painfully obvious that it is a façade for being able to use Fighting Sioux as a de facto nickname.

Couldn't agree more!  Same can be said for the state legislatures in Bismarck coming up with a bill to delay the nickname selection process.  Those who want to delay the process or just stick with "North Dakota" only are those that just can't get over the fact the name is not coming back and it never will. 

I guess the "Nickname at all costs" crowd is now the "No nickname, we don't need one, if we don't have one we can be unofficially be known asthe Fighting Sioux" crowd!!

• Upvote 2

We are one, we are North Dakota!  They have this branding and marketing out there and it's what drives the current sales.  Is anyone surprised that it doesn't produce the same amount of revenue and recognition as the old Fighting Sioux nickname and Logo?  If you are, then you don't understand marketing and branding at all. 

Is not the simplest solution for all in this case is to accept what we have now - "North Dakota" as the Nickname and interlocking ND as the logo?  Everyone wins as the school gets to say it is done with the old logo and nickname and can move on with the NCAA and the folks, like myself, will continue to cheer on North Dakota and the Fighting Sioux as their informal name.  The students and the athletes have a brand and its North Dakota!

Its not the best solution, but would do expect with the way the whole process has gone to date? 

• Upvote 1

So it's preposterous to point out that having a name and logo that is recognizable to the general public helps generate interest in the school itself?  Whatever you want to tell yourself. :silly:

You don't hear many people yelling "Go NDSU!" out there.....

UND has changed their logo and/or brand many times over the last 130 years, not sure what your point is there.  The Fighting Sioux nickname alone was rebranded multiple times in its existence.

Where are you getting this millions of dollars number from?  Even if that is the case, wouldn't the majority of it be the same dollars that would be used to implement the interlocking ND logo you want?

I'd have a lot easier time believe the "No Logo/Nickname" crowd if it wasn't painfully obvious that it is a façade for being able to use Fighting Sioux as a de facto nickname.

Who the hell is it hurting to use the fascade of The Fighting Sioux?  Its not hurting the University as it has no battle to fight with the NCAA if it chooses no nickname or keeps what it has now - isn't that the primary reason given by the all the people who gave up on the name for agreeing to get rid of it?  Regardless, whatever name is chosen some of us will still cheer them on as the Fighting Sioux of ND - get over it!

Who the hell is it hurting to use the fascade of The Fighting Sioux? Its not hurting the University as it has no battle to fight with the NCAA if it chooses no nickname or keeps what it has now - isn't that the primary reason given by the all the people who gave up on the name for agreeing to get rid of it? Regardless, whatever name is chosen some of us will still cheer them on as the Fighting Sioux of ND - get over it!

Why can't you move on?

Who the hell is it hurting to use the fascade of The Fighting Sioux?  Its not hurting the University as it has no battle to fight with the NCAA if it chooses no nickname or keeps what it has now - isn't that the primary reason given by the all the people who gave up on the name for agreeing to get rid of it?  Regardless, whatever name is chosen some of us will still cheer them on as the Fighting Sioux of ND - get over it!

Purely opinion.  The wording of the agreement says UND has to pick a new nickname and logo.  They have not done that.  They are using the same "nickname" they have had since 1883 and the same interlocking logo that they had before the nickname was retired.

And I'll give you credit, at least you are honest about your reasoning for wanting to not pick a new nickname.

Ask people with Marketing experience about the value of a brand/logo. We weren't the Fighting Sioux that was our name and logo. We were UND athletes and coaches who played for each other, our University and our fans. The new name will become the new tradition and become just as beloved as the Fighting Sioux name. You folks who keep harping that Kelly was brought here to retire the name have no clue. That was supposed to have been resolved before he got here and he didn't cause the problem. The problem started in the 1960's and over the years we as fans, the University, the tribes, the state and our communities sat on our collective rear ends and let this happen. Some of us lobbied politicians, athletic dept. officials, coach's, and. University administrators long before the NCAA stepped in to solidify the relationships with the tribes. Suggestions included putting student teachers on the reservations, having our grad students in psychology, social work, the health sciences etc. do rotations on the reservations. Having our coaches do coaches clinics and hold scrimmages on the reservations. Didn't get done. Don't tell me how important a name is. It isn't. It's only part of the tradition. You can wring your hands over the decision but quit blaming the wrong people. The name is gone. Pick almost anything reasonable and we will be fine. Keep the legislature out of it. They have messed it up enough. Quit pretending the name is sacred. It isn't and it wasn't that important to enough of our Native brethren to save it when it could have been saved. The Ben Brien logo was the coolest part of the Fighting Sioux name and I certainly wouldn't put it in the hands of people who do not have the best interest of the University as a priority. The voting is no longer relevant. Who cares what the results were. Pick a name and let's start focusing on what is in the best interest of the University and that would be a new name and logo.

I agree with pretty much everything you said but NOT SACRED.   WHAT?        

But you are right, It's time to move forward in a secular manner with a new nickname.

One question:

Anyone having any problem cheering for Zane McIntyre this year?  You know, the guy who changed his name.

Anyone?

At the beginning of the season I was a little worried McIntyre wasn't going to be as good as Gothberg, but he's come on strongly....

It would not be hard for the NCAA to claim UND is "fostering a hostile and abusive" environment by not selecting a new name and allowing the de facto nickname to perpetuate. They would then enforce the Settlement Agreement, section 2.d (see below). 

Anyone having any problem cheering for Zane McIntyre this year?  You know, the guy who changed his name.

Nailed it. 

The main reason: Contract Law. 

UND (the State) signed an agreement with the wording "If UND does not adopt a new nickname and logo ... ". (Settlement Agreement, section 2.d, page 5)

North Dakotans don't "weasel word" and do follow through on agreements, especially contracts.

I don't want a judge to rule one day that the NCAA is free and clear to stick us back on the list as subject to the Policy. There's one way to ensure that doesn't happen.