SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

I'm also stuck to a world that is within walking distance. I'd like to go places. Not replacing the car is holding me back.

You can still get wherever you want to go, without a car. You're giving that potential new car way too much credit

. I bet a lot of people will tell you your new car sucks- why deal with that hassle?

More people will admire your decision to be unique, and not rely on a car.

A lot of people said the old car sucked too. That's why it's on blocks now. 

If you're happy with where you're at (no car, the old one on blocks, stuck to things in walking distance, reliving the days of driving the old car) great, but you're not going anywhere far or fast. 

If you want to get somewhere get a car and go. 

Like I've said before: 

You can't fill a void with a nothing.

We had a Ferrari.
It was declared illegal for the road.
Worse? We're stuck with no car until 1/1/15.
But, please, when we can have one, no Yugo or Ford Fiesta.

If you're happy with where you're at (no car, the old one on blocks, stuck to things in walking distance, reliving the days of driving the old car) great, but you're not going anywhere far or fast. 

Like I've said before:

Terrible analogy! Not gonna go anywhere far or fast? What does that mean?

We can be just like Prince. No name just a symbol; the interlocken ND symbol. "Here comes the university of North Dakota". It works now, let's just roll with it. If we have to have a nickname, it should simply be North Dakota! We will all know who we really are. It will be a way to stick our noses in the air to those PC zealots who started this nonsense in the first place.

Not gonna go anywhere far or fast? What does that mean?

It means you're going to be stuck where you're at for a long time. 

And I refuse to continue to be held captive to the old name. Like I said: 

Side note:

Removing the old nickname comes under the category of "I don't like it, but I have to do it" for me. Choosing a new one is the same category. I refuse to live under the specter of the old moniker because it continues to give power to the folks who took it away. Choosing a new moniker finally kicks the soap box out from under them ... and I so look forward to that day. 

What do you guys not understand?!!  Having no nickname is NOT an option.  It says so in the signed settlement agreement UND officials signed!!  So you can forget about any ideas of just being "North Dakota."  Not gonna happen!!!  The sooner you realize this the better.  It sucks, but deal with it.  Welcome to reality!!

• Upvote 1

Terrible analogy! Not gonna go anywhere far or fast? What does that mean?

We can be just like Prince. No name just a symbol; the interlocken ND symbol. "Here comes the university of North Dakota". It works now, let's just roll with it. If we have to have a nickname, it should simply be North Dakota! We will all know who we really are. It will be a way to stick our noses in the air to those PC zealots who started this nonsense in the first place.

Brand building at its finest.

• Upvote 1

What do you guys not understand?!! Having no nickname is NOT an option. It says so in the signed settlement agreement UND officials signed!! So you can forget about any ideas of just being "North Dakota." Not gonna happen!!! The sooner you realize this the better. It sucks, but deal with it. Welcome to reality!!

Was that the agreement that was signed after the state legislatures got told to pound sand in their face to face meeting with the NCAA?

What do you guys not understand?!! Having no nickname is NOT an option. It says so in the signed settlement agreement UND officials signed!! So you can forget about any ideas of just being "North Dakota." Not gonna happen!!! The sooner you realize this the better. It sucks, but deal with it. Welcome to reality!!

What does this have to do with Sicatoka's car?

• Upvote 1

Was that the agreement that was signed after the state legislatures got told to pound sand in their face to face meeting with the NCAA?

You mean the one that said: "If UND does not adopt a new nickname and logo ... UND will be returned to the list of institutions subject to the Policy." 

What does this have to do with Sicatoka's car?

They borrowed my car to drive back from the NCAA office with their tails between their legs. 

You mean the one that said: "If UND does not adopt a new nickname and logo ... UND will be returned to the list of institutions subject to the Policy." 

They borrowed my car to drive back from the NCAA office with their tails between their legs. 

You mean this meeting?

http://www.wdaz.com/content/gov-dalrymple-and-rep-carlson-discuss-ncaa-meeting

Read the quotes from our state leaders in this story, right after they met with the NCAA.  Why aren't the Gov. and Al Carlson talking to these new state leaders and telling them how this meeting went?

You guys that want a new nickname are right. How dare I express the FACT that the number of people that want to go with no nickname or just North Dakota as a nickname, far outnumbers any support for a lame ass nickname like Sundogs, Spirit, etc.?

Thank you and the NC$$ for telling me what's best for us!

The fact is you're in the minority based on the survey results. From the GF Herald reporting on the results:

The task force ... their survey results showed 59 percent of respondents would favor moving forward as quickly as possible or within a year.

What do you guys not understand?!!  Having no nickname is NOT an option.  It says so in the signed settlement agreement UND officials signed!!  So you can forget about any ideas of just being "North Dakota."  Not gonna happen!!!  The sooner you realize this the better.  It sucks, but deal with it.  Welcome to reality!!

Does the agreement clearly state that removing FS/logo and adopting no nickname/ND (or interlocking symbol) is a violation and does not constitute having a "new" nickname/logo? 

I don't recall that it does... explicitly.

If your nickname is "idiot stick" today, but tomorrow it's  "  ".... doesn't having "no" nickname when you previously "had" a nickname suggust you have a "new" nickname? 

This is an exercise in the "letter of the law" v. the "spirit (or intent) of the law." 

Not sure the current UND administrators have the balls to play that name game with the NCAA.

Or do they?

Brand building at its finest.

Is that what this is about... selling t-shirts and hats?  I'm sure having no name is a challenge, but certainly not insurmountable.  Shouldn't the debate be about UND the institution, and not some perhaps ridiculous catch phrase and print that accomodates so sales in book stores increase?

Is that what this is about... selling t-shirts and hats?  I'm sure having no name is a challenge, but certainly not insurmountable.  Shouldn't the debate be about UND the institution, and not some perhaps ridiculous catch phrase and print that accomodates so book store increase?

When UND comes up, the debate is (and will continue to be about) people holding onto a retired nickname.  Seems to me that picking a new one would go a long way in ending that debate.

We've been represented all over the world since parking the old car.

What, specifically, does this new car guarantee? Is the new car going to automatically win championships and supply a bottomless supply of money?

If so, I relent. Sign me up for the loaded, souped up all new SUV, the Chevy Roughrider, as I stand quietly nodding my approval while swallowing my own vomit. :-)

What, specifically, does this new car guarantee? Is the new car going to automatically win championships and supply a bottomless supply of money?

If so, I relent. Sign me up for the loaded, souped up all new SUV, the Chevy Roughrider, as I stand quietly nodding my approval while swallowing my own vomit. :-)

:silly:

Is that what this is about... selling t-shirts and hats?  I'm sure having no name is a challenge, but certainly not insurmountable.  Shouldn't the debate be about UND the institution, and not some perhaps ridiculous catch phrase and print that accomodates so sales in book stores increase?

Yes, ultimately a sports moniker is about building a brand for your school.   

Does the agreement clearly state that removing FS/logo and adopting no nickname/ND (or interlocking symbol) is a violation and does not constitute having a "new" nickname/logo? 

I don't recall that it does... explicitly.

If your nickname is "idiot stick" today, but tomorrow it's  "  ".... doesn't having "no" nickname when you previously "had" a nickname suggust you have a "new" nickname? 

This is an exercise in the "letter of the law" v. the "spirit (or intent) of the law." 

Not sure the current UND administrators have the balls to play that name game with the NCAA.

Or do they?

As Chewey stated, and I do agree with his statement: 

There is ambiguity in the settlement agreement language.  

That ambiguity (does "no nickname" meet the "new nickname" verbiage of the Settlement?) means that UND is "the wrong judge in the wrong court on the wrong day" away from being subject to the NCAA Policy.

There is one sure-fire way to avoid that: Choose a new nickname. 

Well if it's a new car we need how about a Pontiac, a Dodge Dakota, or a Jeep Cherokee?

.....which pays off in terms of exposure. When Gonzaga started making runs in the NCAA tournament in the early 2000's, they attracted potential students who otherwise would not have even heard of the school.

Come on now.... Which preposterous statement are u making here.....

Are you saying if Gonzaga didn't have the nickname Bulldogs, no one would have heard of Gonzaga after their tournament run?

Or are you saying they were successful, because they had a nickname?

Come on now.... Which preposterous statement are u making here.....

Are you saying if Gonzaga didn't have the nickname Bulldogs, no one would have heard of Gonzaga after their tournament run?

Or are you saying they were successful, because they had a nickname?

So it's preposterous to point out that having a name and logo that is recognizable to the general public helps generate interest in the school itself?  Whatever you want to tell yourself. :silly:

For my money, this statement is what is truly preposterous:

Sign me up for the loaded, souped up all new SUV, the Chevy Roughrider, as I stand quietly nodding my approval while swallowing my own vomit. :-)