SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

Everything I've read that has come out of the mouths of the ultimate decision makers leads me to believe that staying with no nickname is not an option that they are considering. Yes it was put on the survey because technically it is an option but they are doing everything they can to create a case that choosing to have no nickname has more down than up. 

As far as the marketing dollars it would generate that is all conjecture on their part - there is no way they can put a number on that. It's just part of greasing the skid to make it appear like having a new name is the only option. 

And the survey question that keeps getting thrown out that says a majority want a new name as soon as possible is misleading because of the way it was worded. Also it was asked without offering the option of just staying with North Dakota. 

I'm just saying - the decision makers have decided it won't be North Dakota. 

It's gone already. Why is it so hard for Kelley, et al to put substance behind their verbiage and actually take steps that evince respect for the tradition and history associated with it?  Why is it so hard for Kelley, et al to actually be frank and indicate that they want a new nickname fast so that people are encouraged to stop yelling "Go Sioux" at games (because, what's wrong with you, we're not the "Fighting Sioux" anymore) sooner rather than later.  I'd say that it's Kelley, et al who have a hard time letting go of it because they are obviously trying so hard to get people to stop saying it.

The state passed a law that did not allow them to move on.  Those same state leaders who put that law in place went and sat face to face with the NCAA and the message when they left was, the name needs to be changed.  Kelly has probably heard that same message but knew he could not attempt to change the nickname until two weeks ago.  Now as he begins to change it, new state leaders want to handcuff the process again. 

They adopted a new nickname by using something that has been in place for over 130 years?  I guess the definition of "new" escapes you.

Well a few years ago everybody called them Fighting Sioux, now everybody calls them North Dakota, that's a NEW development.

• Upvote 1

The state passed a law that did not allow them to move on.  Those same state leaders who put that law in place went and sat face to face with the NCAA and the message when they left was, the name needs to be changed.  Kelly has probably heard that same message but knew he could not attempt to change the nickname until two weeks ago.  Now as he begins to change it, new state leaders want to handcuff the process again. 

The state passed a law saying that they had to be known as the "Fighting Sioux" and the NCAA had a problem with it and indicated that UND would be put back on the sanctions list.  The state passed a law saying that UND will be known as North Dakota and that the school could not start a process for selecting a new nickname for a few years and the NCAA didn't make the same threat.  That's my point.  There was no basis for the NCAA to make the same threat, the ambiguity in paragraph 2d being the possible reason why.

The state passed a law saying that they had to be known as the "Fighting Sioux" and the NCAA had a problem with it and indicated that UND would be put back on the sanctions list.  The state passed a law saying that UND will be known as North Dakota and that the school could not start a process for selecting a new nickname for a few years and the NCAA didn't make the same threat.  That's my point.  There was no basis for the NCAA to make the same threat, the ambiguity in paragraph 2d being the possible reason why.

The NCAA was OK with the "cooling off period" because UND did what they requested, drop the native American name.  I don't think the NCAA really thinks that UND will be known just as "North Dakota". How dumb would it be to not have a nickname?  No other college/university in the country does that.  YOu can call it unique, but I call it stupid. 

What do you guys not understand?!!  Having no nickname is NOT an option.  It says so in the signed settlement agreement UND officials signed!!  So you can forget about any ideas of just being "North Dakota."  Not gonna happen!!!  The sooner you realize this the better.  It sucks, but deal with it.  Welcome to reality!!

Quitter

• Upvote 1

The NCAA was OK with the "cooling off period" because UND did what they requested, drop the native American name.  I don't think the NCAA really thinks that UND will be known just as "North Dakota". How dumb would it be to not have a nickname?  No other college/university in the country does that.  YOu can call it unique, but I call it stupid. 

Well, opinions vary.  What's at issue is how the surrender agreement is construed and there's no explicit prohibition against it.

• Upvote 1

Well a few years ago everybody called them Fighting Sioux, now everybody calls them North Dakota, that's a NEW development.

North Dakota Nodaks (unofficial)

North Dakota Flickertails (never branded)

North Dakota Sioux

North Dakota Fighting Sioux

North Dakota (no nickname)

There are your nicknames.

Well, opinions vary.  What's at issue is how the surrender agreement is construed and there's no explicit prohibition against it.

Does UND have to have a nickname, that is a grey area and can be debated.  Does UND want to not have a nickname, There is no debate.  The answer is no.  UND is going to choose a new nickname.  Yeah it sucks.  Yeah its not going to be as good as Fighting Sioux.  But that is reality. 

Does UND have to have a nickname, that is a grey area and can be debated. Does UND want to not have a nickname, There is no debate. The answer is no. UND is going to choose a new nickname. Yeah it sucks. Yeah its not going to be as good as Fighting Sioux. But that is reality.

Agree! It will suck in the beginning and 20 years from now compared to Sioux, but whatever the name that is picked, continue to cheer for UND those initials have been here for 132 years!!

Does UND have to have a nickname, that is a grey area and can be debated.  Does UND want to not have a nickname, There is no debate.  The answer is no.  UND is going to choose a new nickname.  Yeah it sucks.  Yeah its not going to be as good as Fighting Sioux.  But that is reality.

Try not to hurt yourself backpedaling.

It's not reality yet, if I get a vote it'll be cast for remaining simply "North Dakota", as will the vote of everybody else I know.

• Upvote 2

Why is it so hard for Kelley, et al to actually be frank and indicate that they want a new nickname fast so that people are encouraged to stop yelling "Go Sioux" at games (because, what's wrong with you, we're not the "Fighting Sioux" anymore) sooner rather than later.

That's the second time I've heard a comment like that attributed to Kelley. Is this something he routinely does at games - make sure people hear him out loud expressing his disdain for someone else's cheering?

Try not to hurt yourself backpedaling.

It's not reality yet, if I get a vote it'll be cast for remaining simply "North Dakota", as will the vote of everybody else I know.

Unfortunately having just "North Dakota" will not be on any ballot that you get to vote for.  You see, the ballot will be to select a new nickname, not to not have one.  The University is not going to go with no nickname.  Opens the door for too many issues down the road.  I am a supporter of the Fighting Sioux name and was sad to see it go.  But I let it go.  Moving on without a name is not letting it go.

My guess is you are wrong.   Well, glad we solved that. 

Which school has gone without a nickname?

The Sioux name is gone and never coming back.  I don't quite understand why people will think they are cool for saying they are going to continue to cheer for the "Sioux" and wear the "Sioux" logo and yell "Sioux" during the national anthem?  What does that get you - does it make you feel better about yourselves while you're driving around in a big truck?  

I thought the old name was awesome.  But its gone and a new one is coming.  The same one that will be on all the jerseys and merchandise.  I think I will support this one.

Than why is it so hard to let go of the Fighting Sioux name?

It isn't.   I stated earlier I am not in the no nickname camp for the reason of keeping on using the Sioux name. 

I am in the no nickname camp because I have yet to see a reason (besides fear mongering, and pie in the sky dollars rolling in due to having a nickname) to pick a new one.

Being known as North Dakota using the interlocking ND is unique, and I couldn't be more proud if this stance was taken, both for the emphasis it puts on the state, and also how it would tell the ncaa we're not interested in playing their stupid nickname game anymore.

• Upvote 1

Which school has gone without a nickname?

The Sioux name is gone and never coming back.  I don't quite understand why people will think they are cool for saying they are going to continue to cheer for the "Sioux" and wear the "Sioux" logo and yell "Sioux" during the national anthem?  What does that get you - does it make you feel better about yourselves while you're driving around in a big truck?  

I thought the old name was awesome.  But its gone and a new one is coming.  The same one that will be on all the jerseys and merchandise.  I think I will support this one.

again, not my stance.   read my previous posts if you're interested in my opinion