SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

Over 2/3rds of the North Dakota voters "liked" the idea of allowing the school to move on.

Are 2/3rds the voters of ND connected to the issue? I currently live in SW ND and am outnumbered by NDSO alumni by 10-1. Do you let your neighbors decide the color of your house or name your dog?

Wonder how many of the 2/3rds had ulterior motives or just wanted the news story to change?

• Upvote 1

In reference to you italicized remark, isn't that the lynch pin? Not everyone is as easy to surrender and if RHHIT can be made to believe he has been played the fool by a centuries old enemy, maybe there is a chance. Of course the NC$$ may not respond as it would be hoped as they would have to reverse course and lose face. The cards are definitely stacked against the cause and hopes of even the most die hard fans are waining but some will cherish the name all the way to the grave.

At this point it is nothing more than a futile effort wasting both time and money, resources that could be much better spent elsewhere.  There will always be people who want to continue fighting a lost battle and that is their prerogative but I'd prefer they don't do it at the expense of the University of North Dakota and its athletic department, which is what they are trying to do.

Are 2/3rds the voters of ND connected to the issue? I currently live in SW ND and am outnumbered by NDSO alumni by 10-1. Do you let your neighbors decide the color of your house or name your dog?

Wonder how many of the 2/3rds had ulterior motives or just wanted the news story to change?

Ulterior motives would have been to pass it, force the school to continue to spend money to fight it and force the NCAA to put sanctions on UND.

Allowing the school and coaches do what they feel is in the best interest for thier programs is far from an ulterior motive.

This is 100% correct. All of the NDSU fans I know voted to keep it because they fully understood what could happen to UND. 

Most I know voted to allow the school to do what they felt was best.  At the end of the day it is tax payer dollars that would be spent on this.

Most I know voted to allow the school to do what they felt was best.  At the end of the day it is tax payer dollars that would be spent on this.

Correct, shouldn't have lumped all Bison fans into it. I deleted my previous three posts, including a long one. I've wasted to much energy on this and don't need to read or participate in these types of threads. Much like bringing back the Sioux name they are a complete waste of my time. Go Sioux, Go UND, and Go whatever our new nickname is...time to move on. 

Correct, shouldn't have lumped all Bison fans into it. I deleted my previous three posts, including a long one. I've wasted to much energy on this and don't need to read or participate in these types of threads. Much like bringing back the Sioux name they are a complete waste of my time. Go Sioux, Go UND, and Go whatever our new nickname is...time to move on.

Go Sundogs! Woo! Hoo!

There is so much irony behind the Sioux were Silenced story! I know the name is gone, but god bless them for their efforts. I "liked" their Facebook page and support them in their efforts, as futile as they may be. Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Go Sundogs! Woo! Hoo!

There is so much irony behind the Sioux were Silenced story! I know the name is gone, but god bless them for their efforts. I "liked" their Facebook page and support them in their efforts, as futile as they may be. Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Hey if they wana keep fighting more power to em, it just wont be me as there is no real point or goal now that I can find....

Your kind of missing my point, which may be a direct result of my debating skills. I don't see how UND or the state is funding this "Sioux were silenced campaign" or how it hurts UND or UND sports. The back door to getting the name back is the Sioux tribes, especially Standing Rock wakes up and realizes that they are being discriminated against when they name fades in history.

• Upvote 1

Your kind of missing my point, which may be a direct result of my debating skills. I don't see how UND or the state is funding this "Sioux were silenced campaign" or how it hurts UND or UND sports. The back door to getting the name back is the Sioux tribes, especially Standing Rock wakes up and realizes that they are being discriminated against when they name fades in history.

UND has to continuously allocate resources towards the nickname issue (which a portion of come from the state of ND).  The more it comes up, the more resources they have to spend on it.  The issue continues to be used against UND in recruiting with the constant threat of them being put back on the sanctions list.  It doesn't matter whether its true or not, it is still a negative that other schools are using against UND and will continue to until the whole thing is put to bed.

Whoever is behind the campaign is spending both time and money on this.  If they really cared about the University of North Dakota (or any other cause for that matter), putting those resources towards that would do a lot more good than fighting a battle that was lost long ago.

Even if Spirit Lake and Standing Rock where to finally document their approval and even if the NCAA were to accept it (neither of which I can see happening), it is still time to move on.  Tribal politics have proven to be very fluid and all it takes is a new tribal council to come into power on one of the reservations and decide they don't care for the nickname and revoke their approval.  UND is then back to square one.

• Upvote 3

The issue continues to be used against UND in recruiting with the constant threat of them being put back on the sanctions list.  It doesn't matter whether its true or not, it is still a negative that other schools are using against UND and will continue to until the whole thing is put to bed.

As you all know, I am outspoken on this subject and will not belabor it here.  But is this true?  Are schools really playing this card against UND?  Any evidence, or is this just speculation?

It would truly be a shame if there are recruits being swayed on such dubious grounds, and an even bigger shame that some grown-ups are sinking to that level.

As you all know, I am outspoken on this subject and will not belabor it here. But is this true? Are schools really playing this card against UND? Any evidence, or is this just speculation?

It would truly be a shame if there are recruits being swayed on such dubious grounds, and an even bigger shame that some grown-ups are sinking to that level.

Coaches have said so in the past.

I'm guessing it was more the NCAA threatening sanctions and the threat of not being in a conference. That would kill any low major program.

• Upvote 2

UND has to continuously allocate resources towards the nickname issue (which a portion of come from the state of ND).  The more it comes up, the more resources they have to spend on it.  The issue continues to be used against UND in recruiting with the constant threat of them being put back on the sanctions list.  It doesn't matter whether its true or not, it is still a negative that other schools are using against UND and will continue to until the whole thing is put to bed.

Whoever is behind the campaign is spending both time and money on this.  If they really cared about the University of North Dakota (or any other cause for that matter), putting those resources towards that would do a lot more good than fighting a battle that was lost long ago.

Even if Spirit Lake and Standing Rock where to finally document their approval and even if the NCAA were to accept it (neither of which I can see happening), it is still time to move on.  Tribal politics have proven to be very fluid and all it takes is a new tribal council to come into power on one of the reservations and decide they don't care for the nickname and revoke their approval.  UND is then back to square one.

I believe the "Siouxweresilenced" campaign is an appropriate voice of dissidence.  It can't be a shock to Kelley, the NCAA and whomever else that a lot of people, most notably majorities of the Sioux reservations, were extremely angry over how the Sioux nickname and logo were retired.  There are a lot of people very angry over the rush to a new nickname - any nickname - that isn't "Fighting Sioux".   Kelley couldn't have been so naive so as to think the matter would just go away.  

It's a satire! My God. Well, there will be some unemployed actors, I guess. I'm sure that there will be other NA actors who won't be so hyper-sensitive.

Graham Greene is the best NA actor IMO. From Dances with Wolves to Thunderheart he is a great actor.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/23/entertainment/adam-sandler-movie-ridiculous-six-feat/index.html

Admittedly tangential (there is a reference to the Redskins), but you just never know when and where these things might surface. Adam Sandler? Seriously??

So if I understand correctly, the guy was fine with the premise of the movie on Monday. But by midweek, he and others were so ticked by the lack of authentic attire, they were offended enough to walk out?

The sheer stupidity that goes into being "offended" never ceases to amaze.

So if I understand correctly, the guy was fine with the premise of the movie on Monday. But by midweek, he and others were so ticked by the lack of authentic attire, they were offended enough to walk out?

The sheer stupidity that goes into being "offended" never ceases to amaze.

I suppose he didn't understand the full extent of what was going to happen until he got to that particular part of the movie.  But I do think this is a bit of an overreaction.  It's like those posters on UND's campus entitled "More than Beads and Feathers".....the presumption (mostly false, but sometimes true) that us white Europeans look at Native Americans as all living in teepees and wearing feathers and animal skins.  I for one couldn't care less about a person's skin color, ethnic origins or nationality (if I did, I wouldn't work on campus).  But I am sure that B.R.I.D.G.E.S. will tell me that I don't know what I am talking about and that only they are allowed to comment on issues like this. :silly:

Would love to know your point and reasoning for being here? In case you missed it UND is in the process of naming a new nickname and has moved on. Thanks for your interest in UND.

He did it to stir up his "herd" on Bisonswille, and they bit.