SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 2: Potato Bowl 2012 - UND vs. Portland State

UND-FB-FAN

Since when did they start charing $5 for a student ticket? Thats a good way to hinder turnout.

They have been doing that since when I first came here as a Freshman. That was Fall 2009. It could be longer, I am not sure. I have a student ticket guide in front of me and it says this:

UND students receive FREE tickets to regular season home games for these sports (FB, VB, MBB, WBB, W Hockey). Tickets are 1st come, 1st serve st and are limited to the size of the student section per sport. Students must present a valid UND student U Card to receive their ticket.

Students are encouraged to pick up tickets in advance at the Chester Fritz Auditorium, Ralph Engelstad Arena Box Office, or the Student Ticket office at Memorial Union. Tickets are available starting at noon, the week prior to the game. Once the free allotment is picked up, students can purchase tickets for $5 each.

The first 1900 tickets are free, only after that do the students pay. If you think that is a joke, what do you think of student hockey tickets? Every student pays for those (out of pocket).

Students should never have to pay for tickets other than what they pay in tuition. The cost for tickets is included in tuition.

So when we sell out the Montana game and the student section fills up their 1900 tickets are they just supposed to sit on each other's laps?

They should be given more tickets. Simple answer. 3000 or so tickets should suffice for now. The ones that can't get into that will ensure that we always have students at games and the demand will increase.

I think most students wont want to pay $5 cuz that could be $5 towards a hockey game.

This is an embarassment. I belive all NDSU students get in free.

Every time I think the athletic dept gets the need for a fired up student crowd, they disappoint - someone in administration is habitually tone deaf to crowd issues

Saw this on Facebook, great support last week from the students, hope to see them all out this week too:

Hey Nation! It’s another huge week for UND Football!! North Dakota will face Portland State this Saturday at 6pm, at the Alerus Center. The first 1,900 student tickets are free, $5/each after. Last week we went through 2,800 student tickets. Make sure to get your ticket tomorrow at the UND Student Ticket Office! GO UND!

Thats crap. I can't imagine that UND is in such financial trouble that they need to charge students (even $5) to watch a football game.

YEah but its all about economic 101 bud. Supply and Demand

HOckey games sell out almost every night. Footbal never sells out.

Id rather give students free tix and have them show up and yell like hell then have empty seats and really on the "adult" side to stand up and yell

i thinks its a crock of BS they will have to pay. Hell they already pay for parking and tailgating if they want to take part in a tradition. Email was sent to Faison.

Students shouldn't have to pay to go watch sporting events if they already pay fees. Hockey, football, basketball, volleyball, anything. If you want students to pay for tickets, then take away the student athletic fees.

• Upvote 1

Is it really that big a deal to charge $5 for a ticket after 1,900 were given away for free? 1,900 is the allotment for students, that is 15% of capacity.

I believe after NDSU students use up their allotment, also roughly 15% of the Dome's capacity, that they then have the option of paying general admission price or not attending........................

Sounds like the UND students are getting a good deal.

If the more than 15% of the students would stay until the start of the 4th quarter. I might be inclined to give them a break...but that's the problem over the last 5 years, I've given the students a break time and again, about their excuses for not coming to this and not coming to that. If you are a student and are on a tight budget...be one of the 1900- I assure it's not that hard. I would be shocked if you didn't have until Thursday to pick up those tickets. Unfortunately, I honestly think that the students have more money than I do- when they open up their wallets at the bar- they tend to be far fatter than mine. So if you procrastinate it's a penalty, because if that's a decider it's bush league, because I'm sure the Athletics department would prefer to have student fans- because they add to the atmosphere, but selling those seats at general admission prices $10 or whatever is a nice consolation prize.

Now after all that, do you want to know what I really think will occur. I think in the end it will be a non issue. Not even close to 1900 tickets will be picked up and so the point will be moot. Honestly, it's sad. Why? Because that has been the MO of the student body recently....come out to the first game. Continually disappear for the rest of the games during the season. I hope that is not the case, but they haven't surprised me much lately. Come out in droves use the entire allotment of tickets, and have a basis for an argument, until then. Why worry about it until we have to cross that bridge.

• Upvote 1

If the more than 15% of the students would stay until the start of the 4th quarter. I might be inclined to give them a break...but that's the problem over the last 5 years, I've given the students a break time and again, about their excuses for not coming to this and not coming to that. If you are a student and are on a tight budget...be one of the 1900- I assure it's not that hard. I would be shocked if you didn't h. ave until Thursday to pick up those tickets. Unfortunately, I honestly think that the students have more money than I do- when they open up their wallets at the bar- they tend to be far fatter than mine. So if you procrastinate it's a penalty, because if that's a decider it's bush league, because I'm sure the Athletics department would prefer to have student fans- because they add to the atmosphere, but selling those seats at general admission prices $10 or whatever is a nice consolation prize.

Now after all that, do you want to know what I really think will occur. I think in the end it will be a non issue. Not even close to 1900 tickets will be picked up and so the point will be moot. Honestly, it's sad. Why? Because that has been the MO of the student body recently....come out to the first game. Continually disappear for the rest of the games during the season. I hope that is not the case, but they haven't surprised me much lately. Come out in droves use the entire allotment of tickets, and have a basis for an argument, until then. Why worry about it until we have to cross that bridge.

I'm not sure if you could notice through your s hit colored glasses that the student section last Thursday was huge and loud against an awful team. They will be back and maybe you'll notice the difference this time

wow are you sensitive? Good grief. I did notice- as I wiped the lenses off, and that was great. But did you notice that they were there last year in force for game one against Drake as well? And the numbers kept dropping off for every game there after. I'm just stating fact. That has been a trend. I for one will have to see if the trend will change. I hope it does. I for one will wait to see it change on a regular before patting everyone on the back.

If the more than 15% of the students would stay until the start of the 4th quarter. I might be inclined to give them a break.

Simple solution....at the 4th quarter the Alerus refunds the students five dollars. That way they have to stay til the 4th quarter.

• Upvote 2

FYI: They have been doing the $5 a UND student to football games for years after the 2100 free ones run out at the Alerus. They used to charge them full price and they thought that was too much. Just about every Homecoming game the students who wait to the last minute have had to pay. Just about every other game there are free tickets at the door. As of this morning there are still over 1000 free student tickets left to hand out.

When more than 1900 students show up regularly, then the $5/ticket thing gets tricky, but until then it’s not a big deal. Although it is only Wednesday, I'm not hearing as good of things as I did last week in terms of student interest in the game - hopefully that changes. This game will be a huge indication; if a lot of students show up for two home games in a row (especially with this one on a Sat. night and with most of the 'UND hockey-only-brats' being more interested in partying and talking about the NHL rather than watching football live) then I'll be convinced student interest/attendance is back where it needs to be.

When more than 1900 students show up regularly, then the $5/ticket thing gets tricky, but until then it’s not a big deal. Although it is only Wednesday, I'm not hearing as good of things as I did last week in terms of student interest in the game - hopefully that changes. This game will be a huge indication; if a lot of students show up for two home games in a row (especially with this one on a Sat. night and with most of the 'UND hockey-only-brats' being more interested in partying and talking about the NHL rather than watching football live) then I'll be convinced student interest/attendance is back where it needs to be.

I'm hoping the fact that it is a short week and everything being shut down on Monday has a lot to do with the student ticket situation this week. Hopefully things pick up today and tomorrow. Its going to be an entertaining game.

These two teams match-up pretty well with one-another. Both have good running games, and good run defense. Portland St. has a new QB, (last year's QB lead them in rushing), but their philosophy is the same. PSU was 2nd in the nation (after North Dakota) last season in blocked kicks. They have more going for them on special teams than just a good kicker.

I don't expect it to be a very high scoring affair. I'll pick North Dakota by a score. Whether it is a TD or FG, I don't know......................