SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 2: Potato Bowl 2012 - UND vs. Portland State

UND-FB-FAN

If the PSU run defense isn't good I really like UND's chances to control the game and Hendrickson did look a lot better and more confident than I have seen him in the past. Before the first game I would have been shocked if I said this, but I am not really concerned about the QB play. I think Hendrickson will do a good job.

• Upvote 1

I'll say 27-24 UND, with the Alerus Center crowd playing a huge role in a UND win.

Think it might lower scoring than one thinks. Remember when the Al was totally rocking and Davis put 2 points on board w their offense. Gona say 17-13 and it's a coin flip as to who wins.

hopefully jer doesn't fall too far down the depth chart after his "not playing" but my depth chart after one game is

miller

sparks

jer

shaugabay

sutton

i hope marcus plays so well that there is a qb battle for the sac state game

What's with the hate for Sutton? My depth chart at RB would be:

Miller

Sutton

Garman

Sparks

Shaugabay

• Upvote 1

i see sparks giving miller a run for his money for the starting spot by the end of the year....i could flip it back on you...why do you have sutton rated so high? but my reason is speed!! miller, garman, shaubagay, and sparks are all faster than sutton and can take it to the house everytime they touch the ball...sutton runs vertically and very straight and that is why he gets hurt...he is an easy target to tee off on because of his running style

i see sparks giving miller a run for his money for the starting spot by the end of the year....i could flip it back on you...why do you have sutton rated so high? but my reason is speed!! miller, garman, shaubagay, and sparks are all faster than sutton and can take it to the house everytime they touch the ball...sutton runs vertically and very straight and that is why he gets hurt...he is an easy target to tee off on because of his running style

He does run upright but he also runs through tacklers and pounds defenses in a way that only a guy his size can. A power back like him is a valuable asset. Miller is awesome but lacks only power which is why the team needs Sutton to pound the rock. He makes us a more complete team which is why he's #2.

I would say the PJ definitely turned some heads and hopefully earned some touches this season. Bowling balls are tough to bring down and it doesn't hurt when they have a little speed too.

Welcome to the Big Sky. I think the toughest part for UND will be adapting to the overall team speed of these teams. Looks like Portland has some guys that can fly, but the same can be said for UND. Get that Freshman QB for Portland in front of a loud and rambunctious Alerus Center crowd and it could give the kid some issues. Looks like Portland struggled a bit on third down, and only completed 50% of their passes.

Carroll is a great football team though.

I think the whole team speed argument is overrated. I've heard that for the last 8 years since NDSU made the jump to 1-AA and I don't think they have ever been overmatched in team speed. Maybe if they played App State, but not by any MVFC, Big Sky or even any FBS team they have palyed so far. There may be a slight difference, but not enough to make THE difference.

hopefully jer doesn't fall too far down the depth chart after his "not playing" but my depth chart after one game is

miller

sparks

jer

shaugabay

sutton

i hope marcus plays so well that there is a qb battle for the sac state game

you gotta be kidding me with sutton that low. Sutton is a beast between the tackles. He may not possess break away speed, but if its 4th and 1 give the ball to Sutton he'll get that one yard.

My RB depth chart.

Miller

Sutton

Garman

Sparks

Shaugaby

• Upvote 2

I plan on making the trek up with my son for his first game. Since he's only 8 months old, he won't be paying attention, but hopefully this is a first in a long line of UND football games for the two of us :)

Please leave your young son at home. The noise is way above what his ears can take. Ask your pediatrician if it would be a good idea or not.

also, mesereau had one tackle in the sd if i remember correctly...cloridon kennedy also had one tackle in limited time and it was a hit that mesereau has had about three years to do but hasn't but took cloridon about one quarter into his und career to pancake a kid.....

He is noticeably a finesse player, I've never seen him hit anyone hard. Kennedy on the other hand is like a bottle of Nitro Glycerin in a blender. I'm assuming that won't be the last time Mr. Kennedy takes someones head off and gets flagged.

It might have already been shared but at the home opener the crowd caused one, if not two, false starts in the first half.

True but they were a D2 team and it didn't seem like many of the fans were willing to factor into the game with the talent discrepancy. Put a good opponent out there and 01 playoff crowd noise here we come