SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 2: Potato Bowl 2012 - UND vs. Portland State

UND-FB-FAN

also against the worst Griz team in the past 20 years or so.

Haha, you and your fellow bizon trolls will try to spin anything and everything!

Maybe sit back, shut your mouth and actually watch and see what happens. If he does indeed tank as you hope, they you can talk some trash. As of right now I picture you as a fat guy with an even fatter mouth. Nobody likes that guy.

• Upvote 1

No, that was the 2003 team.

2003 team made the playoffs I believe.

Haha, you and your fellow bizon trolls will try to spin anything and everything!

Maybe sit back, shut your mouth and actually watch and see what happens. If he does indeed tank as you hope, they you can talk some trash. As of right now I picture you as a fat guy with an even fatter mouth. Nobody likes that guy.

the one UND played if I recall, is the first Griz team on almost 20 years to not make the playoffs. I didn't say anything bad about this Marcus guy. In fact, I defended him when someone said it is almost like having a freshman play. I'm sure he will play about as good as he can. Maybe that will be enough for Portland State, maybe it wont. I only talked trash about that edition of the Montana team.

I'm far from a fat guy. I'm 5 foot 8 and 160 pounds soaking wet after going to a chinese buffet(before the runs come).

NDSU game day, and the Bison fans are on here analyzing our back up QB's play against Montana from years ago...

Didn't analyze anything. Pointed out that Montana was bad that year. Going over to the dome in a bit. Today is all things football, not just NDSU. In other news, Notre Dame demolished Navy.

marcus is gonna be just fine in both the portland game and san diego game...he's gonna make plays with both his arm and his legs in both games and keep in mind that his choices of receivers he is throwing to in these games are much improved (and bigger--jackson and townsend) from when he last played in Missoula....

• Upvote 1

The last time he started was fresh off of being converted to a WR and then back to a QB. He has an elite arm by NFL standards and can run but most importantly has matured from last year by leaps and bounds.

I hope you're right. But honestly, last year he got into the games as the holder. If Bradley was still around would we be talking about Bradley vs. Portland or Marcus vs. Portland?

And of course I remember the Montana game....but is that his only start during his time at UND?

Having watched Carroll @ Portland State last night (PSU wins 38-20), it was an interesting game..and a few things were clear.

Game is 21-12 at half..and Carroll's NAIA POY RB blows a knee before half and doesn't return. This kinda changes Carroll's offensive gameplan. At half Carroll has outgained PSU, with PSU scoring a pick 6 and a long TD pass. Big plays is what won the day for PSU. Their team speed was a real difference-maker..their WR can fly and a HB who can move also....along with a D-Line that can get up the field. In terms of scheme, I thought Carroll looked better considering the athletic difference between the squads. Carroll was able to contain their running game, but not the big play itself in the passing game.

I will be interested to see PSU play at the Alerus next week as I've seen Carroll and UND plenty in the past. I think the PSU speed might very well be the difference in this one.

Witt did you watch that game on bigskytv by chance? I was able to get the Poly game but the PSU game was not working...audio was working for a while and it sounded like they were having tech difficulties.

When I checked on the PSU game the video was working but no sound. I believe that you should be able to watch the game via on demand on BigSkyTV. I might check it out later.

Welcome to the Big Sky. I think the toughest part for UND will be adapting to the overall team speed of these teams. Looks like Portland has some guys that can fly, but the same can be said for UND. Get that Freshman QB for Portland in front of a loud and rambunctious Alerus Center crowd and it could give the kid some issues. Looks like Portland struggled a bit on third down, and only completed 50% of their passes.

Carroll is a great football team though.

Was it just me or was that not the JUCO QB for PSU?

You're right geaux sioux, it was true freshman Kieran McDonagh. This game was about getting out the jitters. None of the four QBs competing for the starting role has had the luxury yet of taking all the snaps at practice, so the timing with his receivers will improve going forward. I really like him because he's a bruiser, fabulous arm, very patient and calm under duress, and is deceptively fast (not necessarily quick, but has good speed). Another few weeks of getting consistent snaps with the starting offense will really benefit his progress. As far as the JUCO QB (Ramirez), he has struggled a bit this early season grasping the Pistol, but it appears he may be #2 on the depth chart at this point.

Our defense also showed a little first game jitters, but showed glimpses of what could be a very, very good DL , which was one the bigger concerns after last year.

Carroll is indeed a very good football team, and were they pumped to be playing a Big Sky school !

My son has a good friend on the team, and he told me this morning that the Viks were upset that they didn't play as well as they know they can, and they know that they will have to really bring it to have a chance in Grand Forks.

Don't you just love this game ?

To answer an earlier question, it took me a bit to find the video feed..and it was available in HD from the Carroll website (they do a fantastic job with that). The PSU thing fell apart, and really pissed me off for about 15 mins..haha....until I went to the CC site.

I can't stand the highlight vids that don't tell the story of the game, but instead only being a hype tape for 1 team. I know that's the world we live in now though..

What you didn't see in the video was Carroll running pretty easily on PSU with the battering ram running back, until he blew a knee before half. He went for 10 carries, 74 yards and a score. Carroll had possesion time 2 to 1 in the first half, and over 230 yards by half. I think UND with Mitch Sutton can have similar success if they play their cards right. That said, with the starting QB down I'm not sure why PSU wouldn't just look to stack the run like USF did with UND last year and make the Sioux have success throwing the ball to win the game. (However, the PSU DL seems more built for pass rushing than run stopping)

Overall I think the key will be UND's defense limiting the explosive PSU offense from the big plays. They will get behind the UND secondary a few times and have chances in the screen game to break a big one..and UND needs to try and contain them when those chances come up..cuz they have gamebreakers.

Very interesting early matchup for UND. Will home field advantage > PSU speed..?