SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 2: Potato Bowl 2012 - UND vs. Portland State

UND-FB-FAN

This is such a huge game and a true test to see how good we really are. Winning without Braden will show that this group can overcome adversity. Hopefully the long week of practice will help. I have faith in Marcus and you could tell during the post game interview that he is ready to prove people's doubts wrong.

Last nights game was the absolute best I have seen the student section at a UND game in nearly 10 years. They need to be praised for showing up and they need to hear the message that next week, a loud Alerus Center could be the difference. Last night they were startng their own chants, banging on chair backs, heckling the opposig team....doing what needs to be brought back to the Alerus. The rest of the fans need to get the same message. Last night played out how I wanted, big plays to start the game, some big hits and an absolute blowout. Everyone left with the feeling we have a pretty good football team in Grand Forks. Hopefully the other side of the field shows up next week and supports the team. Already 2 starters short on offense, we need all the help we can get. Portland St. is a good football team and this game is going to be a very good benchmark on where we are at as a program. As stated many times already, this game is a must win to get to the 7 win mark, we have to win at home. The point I wanted to make though is hopefully the coaches, players, local media and local fans let the students know how much they appreciated the support and how much they will affect the atmosphere next week in Grand Forks. I personally can't wait for the game.

I second that. Great job students!! Its been a lack luster showing the past few years, but last night you totally redeemed yourself. Keep it going!!

Week 2 sets up one of the better, if not the best, Potato Bowl matchups in many years. It will be a big game (in terms of attendance, hype, and FCS standings); unfortunately, Braden Hanson will not be a part of it. Although Hanson is out, the WR corps is really strong this year so hopefully that helps make Hendrickson's job easier than we expect. In addition, our RB depth is great too so we should be able to set Hendrickson up well if we can effectively run the ball. Of course, it is important to realize this Portland State team coming to town is no pushover either; they were picked to be a top 5 Big Sky team. In all seriousness, it was going to be a tough game to win even with Hanson at QB. Hopefully, we can do enough to pull out this all important home game. As the season is paced out in front of us, we have 10 games remaining. We need to win 7 of those 10 to hope to make playoffs and we have to play MSU, EWU (who beat Idaho last night), and SDSU (FBS) all on the road. Winning this PSU Potato Bowl game is very, very important as far as playoffs go. Let’s hope for a really good crowd and the great home field advantage that goes along with it. Let’s get this W!!

Nice analysis.

What I hope happens is that Hendrickson does a better than expected job with the offense and the coaches utilize his cannon of an arm and he gives us 2 to 3 plays that he keeps alive with his legs and finishes with his arm and the team rallies around him and play up to 'make up' for the lack of Hanson. Then when Hanson returns the team maintains their heightened level of play and they roll. The other option is that the team, as is human nature, relax more and lower their level of play upon Hanson's return.

My prediction is UND 34 PSU 24 and Hanson returns to a team with a winning record.

I will be there with my dad and my son. My son hasn't seen a UND game with a near capacity crowd. He has been to two games (Black Hills State and South Dakota). The kids love the parade, and of course tailgating is good...can't wait to enjoy the festivities, and a UND win. UND wins it 34-17.

I will be interested to see how UND does against an opponent like Portland State, who is seemingly a top 4 team in the conference.

As a USF fan, I will be watching this Sat night on stream to see how former NAIA championship rival of USF (Carroll College-MT) does as they make a non-NAIA trip up to Portland State. Obviously Portland State is a heavy favorite, but Carroll isn't to be overlooked.

Good luck the rest of the way Sioux fans.

Last nights game was the absolute best I have seen the student section at a UND game in nearly 10 years. They need to be praised for showing up and they need to hear the message that next week, a loud Alerus Center could be the difference. Last night they were startng their own chants, banging on chair backs, heckling the opposig team....doing what needs to be brought back to the Alerus. The rest of the fans need to get the same message. Last night played out how I wanted, big plays to start the game, some big hits and an absolute blowout. Everyone left with the feeling we have a pretty good football team in Grand Forks. Hopefully the other side of the field shows up next week and supports the team. Already 2 starters short on offense, we need all the help we can get. Portland St. is a good football team and this game is going to be a very good benchmark on where we are at as a program. As stated many times already, this game is a must win to get to the 7 win mark, we have to win at home. The point I wanted to make though is hopefully the coaches, players, local media and local fans let the students know how much they appreciated the support and how much they will affect the atmosphere next week in Grand Forks. I personally can't wait for the game.

Agree with everything you said. I got season tix in 2003, and the student section was very rabid at that time. Last night reminded me of those days............

Hanson going down leaves the season in a bit of jeopardy. I think that this team has a fighting chance of getting into the postseason, but now it all comes back to "what about the QB position"? I agree that Marcus is a tremendous athlete, and its nice to have a fifth year senior at the helm, but when it comes to the conference games, he has as much experience behind center as a Freshman.

Glad next week is at home, gives UND a great chance to win the game.

Hanson going down leaves the season in a bit of jeopardy. I think that this team has a fighting chance of getting into the postseason, but now it all comes back to "what about the QB position"? I agree that Marcus is a tremendous athlete, and its nice to have a fifth year senior at the helm, but when it comes to the conference games, he has as much experience behind center as a Freshman.

Not like Hanson had a ton either. I'm sure he'll be fine. He's a 5th year senior, I'm sure he'll play the way he is capable of. Now if he is any good or not, thats another thing entirely.

Not like Hanson had a ton either. I'm sure he'll be fine. He's a 5th year senior, I'm sure he'll play the way he is capable of. Now if he is any good or not, thats another thing entirely.

I hope he's full of surprises. Was pretty green the last time he was thrown into the fire. At least this time he'll have the home crowd behind him. Got to be able to run the ball......got to be able to run the ball....

Hendrickson has made starts before, including at Montana. I'd rather have him than either bartels or molberg. Save them for next year because I believe Marcus will do just fine. He won't be spectacular by any means, but all we need him to do is hand the ball off and then pray he doesn't make a stupid mistake when he gets to throw the ball.

So his start at Montana didn't count? it was a close game then with garbage WR compared to what he has to work with now. He'll be fine.

I hope he's full of surprises. Was pretty green the last time he was thrown into the fire. At least this time he'll have the home crowd behind him. Got to be able to run the ball......got to be able to run the ball....

The last time he started was fresh off of being converted to a WR and then back to a QB. He has an elite arm by NFL standards and can run but most importantly has matured from last year by leaps and bounds.

• Upvote 1

The last time he started was fresh off of being converted to a WR and then back to a QB. He has an elite arm by NFL standards and can run but most importantly has matured from last year by leaps and bounds.

I realize he probably has a really strong arm but I don't think it's elite by NFL standards.

Marcus just needs to manage this game. We need a long drive to start the game so he can get his feet under him. Screens and flat routes to Miller and McGill. Lots of 2nd and 6, 3rd and 2 downs. If we are kicking off to start the game the defense needs to have a big stop early. Getting behind early may test Marcus' patience to make plays. I'm confident he'll let the game come to him. If we can play good defense and draw up a good game plan there is no reason we cant win this game. I'd like to see 24-13 UND if everything goes as planned.

• Upvote 2

I realize he probably has a really strong arm but I don't think it's elite by NFL standards.

70+yards in the air is certainly elite by NFL standards. He has hit the roof of the Alerus at the fifty throwing straight up. Elite by NFL standards. The ball comes out of his hand with young Michael Vick type of velocity.

70+yards in the air is certainly elite by NFL standards. He has hit the roof of the Alerus at the fifty throwing straight up. Elite by NFL standards. The ball comes out of his hand with young Michael Vick type of velocity.

I guess you probably no more than me so I will just trust you. I'm sure this has been talked about but what's the matter with Jer Garman?