SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

I also liked mi mexico's food but that building is plagued for failure.

Now Casa Mexico in egf....I'll never go back there. Not only lousy service the one time I went there but the waitress also lost someone's credit card.

I ate there twice, thought it was okay. Not too bad. But losing your credit card is unacceptable.

• 3 months later...

Another one bites the dust...Quiznos on Washington has closed, leaving only one location at 32nd & Columbia.  This is reminiscent of Pita Pit, which closed two locations north of 17th in favor of a new 32nd Ave. store.  Also, the Herald reported recently that Italian Moon is for sale, and the I-29 Perkins reportedly has now closed.

I'm not saying that Quiznos is anything more than a run-of-the-mill chain sandwich shop, but the vacancies do seem to be piling up along Washington.  What are the chances of getting decent replacements?  Anybody heard of plans?

The Perkins is interesting because I think most of us viewed the new Walmart as signaling a complete revival on the NW side of town.  I know the owners were quoted as saying they simply didn't want to spend the money to bring the restaurant up to current, corporate standards.  But, still.

Another one bites the dust...Quiznos on Washington has closed, leaving only one location at 32nd & Columbia.  This is reminiscent of Pita Pit, which closed two locations north of 17th in favor of a new 32nd Ave. store.  Also, the Herald reported recently that Italian Moon is for sale, and the I-29 Perkins reportedly has now closed.

I'm not saying that Quiznos is anything more than a run-of-the-mill chain sandwich shop, but the vacancies do seem to be piling up along Washington.  What are the chances of getting decent replacements?  Anybody heard of plans?

The Perkins is interesting because I think most of us viewed the new Walmart as signaling a complete revival on the NW side of town.  I know the owners were quoted as saying they simply didn't want to spend the money to bring the restaurant up to current, corporate standards.  But, still.

Both Quiznos' were recently sold, they were for sale for at least a year.  It sounded like they were both losing money and that was why they were difficult to sell.  The Moon is for sale because Ken Towers wants to retire and I believe his son is taking the Wendy's locations.  I don't know if the price is fair or not, someone would have to see the books to know.  I don't think you will see much for replacements along that stretch.  The Japanese steak house was added just a couple of years ago.  Overall, I don't think that the number of restaurant seats available along Washington has changed that much in the past several years.  You might see some restaurants further south on Washington, down by Choice Fitness, within the next few years.  The new Hugo's will probably be built next year and that will attract more business in that area.

That Perkins hasn't been updated in years.  The only time I see the parking lot filled is on Sunday morning.  I don't think that the Walmart alone is going to increase business along that stretch for the restaurant crowd.  It is probably the first stop coming into town or the last stop on the way out of town so people can eat when they are in other parts of town.

Amen on Firehouse. GF needs one STAT!

As I think a bit more, it occurs to me that no fewer than six chains have scaled back their presence in the past few years, and nobody would ever accuse the Grand Forks restaurant market of having been over-developed to begin with:

Applebees

Taco Bell

Arby's

Perkins

Pita Pit

Quiznos

Again, not singing the praises of any of these, but it seems we should be going in the other direction, especially given our oft-cited growth.

Taco Bell has scaled back its presence? I was there in '89 when the first one opened on Washington Avenue. Are there more now? Did some close?

There was a Taco Bell on 32nd ave in front of Sam's Club that closed a year or two ago.  It was tore down and now there is a Panera Bread there.

Amen on Firehouse. GF needs one STAT!

As I think a bit more, it occurs to me that no fewer than six chains have scaled back their presence in the past few years, and nobody would ever accuse the Grand Forks restaurant market of having been over-developed to begin with:

Applebees

Taco Bell

Arby's

Perkins

Pita Pit

Quiznos

Again, not singing the praises of any of these, but it seems we should be going in the other direction, especially given our oft-cited growth.

Noodles and Company

Olive Garden

Panera

Sakura

Ruby Tuesday

Dunn Brothers

Tim Horton

Fuji

Brick and Barley

Spicy Pie opening later this year

These are some of the restaurants that have opened in town over the past few years.  I think that the tastes in town are probably changing a little and the list you posted shows that, along with a move to take more restaurant business to the 32nd Ave corridor because that's where the business is (although only about 1/2 of the new restaurants are along that corridor).

Don't forget Sweeto Burrito in the old Arby's.

Pizza Ranch.

Five Guys.

For every restaurant that closes two seem to go up.

Applebee's=new restaurant took it's place.

Arby's=new restaurant took it's place.

Taco Bell=new restaurant took it's place.

The others on that list are to recent to see what happens.