SiouxSports.com Forum

Election Results

darell1976

Really guys... You know as well as anyone that the vote is not a vote on whether or not people support the name. And that it is a vote to save the university athletics.

Exactly, I always have and always will be a supporter and fan of the Sioux and my voting yes by no means says that I no longer support it. I voted yes because the costs associated with keeping the name were far to extreme and risky. This was caused because the State Board of Higher Ed and it's attorneys settled a lawsuit that should never have been settled and this is the consequence. I will always like the Sioux, I will always love the University of North Dakota though.

Really guys... You know as well as anyone that the vote is not a vote on whether or not people support the name. And that it is a vote to save the university athletics.

We know. But the "no" crowd pointed out Sioux County as a bellwether for their contention that the NAs really supported UND's use of the moniker but were held down by sinister forces on and off the reservation.

But the "no" crowd pointed out Sioux County as a bellwether for their contention that the NAs really supported UND's use of the moniker but were held down by sinister forces on and off the reservation.

Precisely.

If anywhere had free reign to vote the "moral way" (according to some) it was Sioux County.

I do believe Rep. Al Carlson represents District 41 (part of south Fargo).

If we are to view Measure 4 as somewhat of a referendum on Al after his "Carlson's Folly" law, Al's in trouble in his home district.

They're more "yes" than the rest of the State.

District 41

Yes 1991 (74.74)

No 673 (25.26%)

If we are to view Measure 4 as somewhat of a referendum on Al after his "Carlson's Folly" law, Al's in trouble in his home district.

District 44

Yes 1991 (74.74)

No 673 (25.26%)

Is Clueless up for re-election this fall?

District 44

Yes 1991 (74.74)

No 673 (25.26%)

You quoted the wrong district (or wrote the wrong one in the body of your message)

You quoted the wrong district (or wrote the wrong one in the body of your message)

Those are the District 41 numbers. I typo'd. I'll fix it. Thanks. :)

Here is the raw data by district:

http://results.sos.nd.gov/resultsCTY.aspx?text=BQ&type=SW&rid=285&cty=0&osn=915&map=CTY&districtLG=1

By county:

http://results.sos.nd.gov/resultsCTY.aspx?text=BQ&type=SW&rid=285&osn=915&map=CTY

Billings County voted 150-148 to keep the name. That's the only one so far to vote against UND.

Surely evidence that "real" North Dakotans support the Sioux moniker, unlike the liberals and poseurs in every other part of the state. ;)

With 80% of the precincts reporting, the Yes vote is leading 2 to 1. That is approximately the same vote as the repeal in the legislature. Thank you to the voters of North Dakota for recognizing the realities of the situation and doing the right thing for the University of North Dakota. Even Rob Port has recognized that it is time to move on. Hopefully Soderstrom and the Committee will decide to let the issue go and allow UND to move on without another attempt to force the nickname issue. Thank you to everyone that was able to vote Yes. The future of UND athletics looks a little brighter tonight.

After this vote is certified, does the nickname get retired (again) immediately? Just wondering if anybody knows...

I believe it becomes basically "the Board can retire it" (they'll do that immediately) and the other part of it is the clause that no new moniker can be official taken until 1/1/2015.*

*That last part is foolish. Why let the spectre hang around and continue to cause the undercurrent.

After this vote is certified, does the nickname get retired (again) immediately? Just wondering if anybody knows...

The SBoHE will probably have to give the final okay. I don't know if they have the process worked out yet or not. But since UND has been through the process already they can probably just use those procedures.

With 80% of the precincts reporting, the Yes vote is leading 2 to 1. That is approximately the same vote as the repeal in the legislature. Thank you to the voters of North Dakota for recognizing the realities of the situation and doing the right thing for the University of North Dakota. Even Rob Port has recognized that it is time to move on. Hopefully Soderstrom and the Committee will decide to let the issue go and allow UND to move on without another attempt to force the nickname issue. Thank you to everyone that was able to vote Yes. The future of UND athletics looks a little brighter tonight.

As someone else stated, Port is only moving on because the UND nickname is no good to him in his fight against higher ed anymore. The cross hairs will be back on UND eventually in that battle.

The history and traditions will remain and not be forgotten. The future remains bright.

It's a bit irritating reading the celebratory comments. I mean, I get it. But, it's like dancing around the operating room just after a successful limb amputation.

Hooray.

taz

If the limb would have otherwise killed the body, then it is reason for celebrating.

• Upvote 2