SiouxSports.com Forum

Election Results

darell1976

Thanks for that link. I found this in that story:

He said nickname supporters will continue to circulate petitions for another vote, an initiated measure that would secure the nickname in the state constitution. If enough signatures are filed by August, that vote could occur in November, but Johnson said the group may wait to file until December for a vote on the constitutional amendment in 2014.

If they do, it will get smacked down by an even larger margin.

Good luck getting more signatures. People are tired of this issue and when 67% of the state say its over...its over!!

Those who voted yes should have no say in the new mascot.

Sense that does not make.

The ones who wanted to blow up the athletic department should be the ones to put forth a new nickname??

I would think the opposite would be more appropriate. Wrong, but more appropriate.

Sense that does not make.

The ones who wanted to blow up the athletic department should be the ones to put forth a new nickname??

I would think the opposite would be more appropriate. Wrong, but more appropriate.

Everybody should be involved. I'm sure that many of the "NO" voters will give it up and support the teams after this vote essentially killed the Fighting Sioux name. Their feelings are hurt now, but many will be back.

This is definitely not the time people should be excluded from an important decision.

I'm pretty sure we wer simply joking...or speaking out of frustration. Obviously everyone would have to have a say....although if it's Norse or Norseman I will vomit. Also, Ben better be able to whip up another sweet logo :o)

The celebratory nature on this board is down right appalling. I understand what the university would have been through had the name stuck, however over the last three years for the first time in the our university's history it wasn't in honor of the tribes. It became a a political football, a pawn in the quest for conference exclusion, a page-turner for the Grand Forks Herald, and one more example of the overbearing NCAA bullying its member oblivious of its own hypocrisies. The logo allowed me to see the inept nature of our educational leadership in this state, who completely mishandled this situation ever since the 'hostile and abusive' mandate was announced. It's a shame to see our leaders waited to get involved until they had some stake in the game. Tim O'Keefe is being heralded as a martyr at this point, if we would have laid this scenario at three years ago 90% of you would be calling for his head.

The only threat in the sanctioning was the loss of the Big Sky, which don't get me wrong is a tremendous threat to our olympic sports (football included). The fact that Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and South Dakota State wouldn't schedule us has no bearing on the success our athletic department whatsoever. Hell we have played NDSU less than a handful of times in most sports and 0 times in football since the move to D1, what are the chances we would play any of those schools within the next decade anyhow? We'll play as many games against Minnesota and Wisconsin in post season competition as we would have at the Ralph ever again anyway.

I realize the name is retired and for all intensive purposes will be for good at this point. It would take a complete culture shift in many places Standing Rock, SBoHE, UND'S Leadership (all of which of lost any confidence in throughout this debacle). What was done at the polls yesterday is the equivalent of pulling the plug on a loved one, who by no fault of their own or what they stood for, became too burdened by what was going on around it. Please let's shift the tone from gloating to respecting the tradition that expired last night. Many of you are calling this a bitter sweet moment, Take a second to think about how the villain shifted from the NCAA to Standing Rock to Tom Douple to the SBoHE to Robert Kelley to Logo Supporters and how the issue changed from Tribal Support/feelings to conference inclusion and bureaucratic greed. To retire the name for the reasons we did is far from a time to celebrate, had it been to a tribal vote I would at least respect it. This moment is a hell of a lot more bitter than it is sweet.

Agreed. That's what I was trying to say earlier....you simply explain this much better than I do.

This is blatantly false. Not being able to play Minnesota and Wisconsin in hockey and other sports IS a big deal. Not being able to host playoff games IS a big deal. Not playing schools we have had long associations with (NDSU, SDSU) IS a big deal. And the people of North Dakota, by a 2 to 1 margin, sent a clear message that losing all of that was too big of a price to pay. Of course, people like you will always insist that all of these sanctions would have been "a small price to pay" to keep the name and logo.

Most people on here are sad to see the name and logo retired, but most of us realize it is a necessary evil in order to compete in Division I athletics. I understand your feelings (I share them), but sometimes in life you have to move on and this is one of those times.

A bigger deal is a leader of an athletic program going on a statewide campaign saying he needs home playoff games to compete, that's a guy I'm sure recruits will rally around playing for...that'll be used by opponents recruiting against us just as much as the sanctions would have been. I want a coach who believes he can win championships no matter the circumstances and a university that stands for what's right. If that's the minority in this world we've fallen a lot more than I've thought.

• Upvote 1

A bigger deal is a leader of an athletic program going on a statewide campaign saying he needs home playoff games to compete, that's a guy I'm sure recruits will rally around playing for...that'll be used by opponents recruiting against us just as much as the sanctions would have been. I want a coach who believes he can win championships no matter the circumstances and a university that stands for what's right. If that's the minority in this world we've fallen a lot more than I've thought.

You lost, get over it.

• Upvote 1

Obviously you forgot that Dale Lennon came out and said UND lost recruits because of the nickname...home playoff games are a way to get recruits to come to UND. Do you think NDSU would have won a National Title on the road in every game? UND couldn't have done it in 2001. Its called home field advantage it is a huge factor when it comes to playoffs.

• Upvote 2

Are you trying to convey that home field advantage in the playoffs is not a big deal? I have news for you in that other coaches and recruiters have been using that exact same argument against UND when pitching recruits over the last couple years.

• Upvote 1

Obviously you forgot that Dale Lennon came out and said UND lost recruits because of the nickname...home playoff games are a way to get recruits to come to UND. Do you think NDSU would have won a National Title on the road in every game? UND couldn't have done it in 2001. Its called home field advantage it is a huge factor when it comes to playoffs.

I didn't forget that, I remember it clearly. Now Dale Lennon is going to draw a distinct comparison that he thinks he can win anywhere, anytime as opposed to our coach who needs a home playoff game to win a national championship. I'd rather get the focus on my original post of paying the nickname its proper respect instead of rehashing the same old arguments.

I didn't forget that, I remember it clearly. Now Dale Lennon is going to draw a distinct comparison that he thinks he can win anywhere, anytime as opposed to our coach who needs a home playoff game to win a national championship. I'd rather get the focus on my original post of paying the nickname its proper respect instead of rehashing the same old arguments.

Its obvious that Dale didn't think he could win at UND during the transition and with this name fiasco going on.

There isn't a coach in the world who would come out and say they "don't mind the sanctions, we will just have to win the National Championship on the road for 4 straight games". Every year. :silly:

• Upvote 2

Its obvious that Dale didn't think he could win at UND during the transition and with this name fiasco going on.

There isn't a coach in the world who would come out and say they "don't mind the sanctions, we will just have to win the National Championship on the road for 4 straight games". Every year. :silly:

Why not? Sounds like the right attitude to have.

How many football teams in any division of college football have gone on to win a National Championship without hosting at least one playoff game the year they won it?? The chances of winning all road games to a National Championship,especially at the FCS level, is nearly impossible. So recruits are going to look at that when they choose a school. They basically decide whether they want to play for a chance to sin a national championship, or play at UND where the chance is very slim due to the sanction of not being able to host.

Sure a coach can rise above circumstances that come up from season to season. Issues like losing a starting quarterback, runningback, etc. But not being able to host a playoff game is a circumstance that can be avoided. Why not give your coach and team the best chance of winning. Any retiring the Sioux name will do that for the football team.

I want a coach that fights to get every advantage possible for my team.

The unofficial motto of SEC football?

If ya ain't cheatin' ya ain't tryin'.

I want every advantage within the rules (plus as many others as you can get away with ;) ).

I wonder if we can vote for a new mascot. I mean those who voted no. Those who voted yes today will get their wish. Let us have ours.

We didn't have a mascot. That was misinformation used by the name opponents over the years when they were lobbying the NCAA to drop the name.