SiouxSports.com Forum

Election Results

darell1976

Now with the measure being defeated by such a huge margin, will this thing finally be put to bed or will the petition people keep pushing?

I mean honestly shouldn't this be the trump card to end the game?

Soderstrom, Sean Johnson and the Committee haven't shown that kind of sense yet. We can hope that they will let it die, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the petitions going. But it would be hard to imagine a constitutional amendment passing if this law gets defeated by such a large margin.

As someone else stated, Port is only moving on because the UND nickname is no good to him in his fight against higher ed anymore. The cross hairs will be back on UND eventually in that battle.

The history and traditions will remain and not be forgotten. The future remains bright.

I agree about Port. But Soderstrom loses his "media" support by losing Port. Port and Carlson will find different ways to attack higher ed.

Soderstrom, Sean Johnson and the Committee haven't shown that kind of sense yet. We can hope that they will let it die, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the petitions going. But it would be hard to imagine a constitutional amendment passing if this law gets defeated by such a large margin.

Changing amendments are touchy subjects anyway, it makes no sense to continue pushing for something that is obviously unpopular with 2/3 of the state.

But nothing would surprise me anymore.

I wonder how many of those people that signed their constitutional amendment petitions did so before they knew the facts? How many now may have wished they never signed it?

It won't matter. If they foolishly decide to file the petitions, it will get soundly defeated if it gets on the ballot.

Every legislative district (except one that hasn't reported yet, District 37, part of Dickinson) voted YES.

See it here: http://results.sos.n...TY&districtLG=1

If this somehow ends up back in front of the Legislature that should be a pretty clear message to the Legislators on what to do.

The SL CUR's fight is with the NCAA.

I wish them well as I'm sure many other do, but I also wish them to keep UND out of their line of fire during their battle with the NCAA.

I wish them an attorney who has a hot clue about law.

Every legislative district (except one that hasn't reported yet) voted YES.

See it here: http://results.sos.n...TY&districtLG=1

If this somehow ends up back in front of the Legislature that should be a pretty clear message to the Legislators on what to do.

Some of those results may not be totals. But it is hard to imagine a lot of the precincts that are left being that far off from the precincts that have already reported.

Maybe it's time now to call our "friends" at Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Iowa about scheduling a football game, not to mention hockey and other sports.

I'm sure those calls will be made in the coming days as the plan for retiring the name goes into effect. Unfortunately, some schedules are filled up for the next couple of years so just being on sanctions for the last 4-5 months may have cost games in at least 1 or 2 years. A lot of football schedules are made out 3-5 years in advance. But there may be openings in sports like basketball, volleyball or track for 2013-2014.

I'm sure those calls will be made in the coming days as the plan for retiring the name goes into effect. Unfortunately, some schedules are filled up for the next couple of years so just being on sanctions for the last 4-5 months may have cost games in at least 1 or 2 years. A lot of football schedules are made out 3-5 years in advance. But there may be openings in sports like basketball, volleyball or track for 2013-2014.

I know it's way too late for football, but I'm hopeful maybe it's still early enough to squeeze in a couple games or so in other sports (e.g., MBB,WBB, baseball, etc.) for 2012-13, as those schedules shouldn't be completely set yet. It's good to know that we can now host football (and other) playoff games if and when we become eligible.

Now we can enjoy the Big Sky Conference without the talk about getting booted out...anyone making plans to see a playoff game at the Alerus? I love the sound of that. So now the next chapter in this saga...what happens at the REA and the logos?

Thanks for that link. I found this in that story:

He said nickname supporters will continue to circulate petitions for another vote, an initiated measure that would secure the nickname in the state constitution. If enough signatures are filed by August, that vote could occur in November, but Johnson said the group may wait to file until December for a vote on the constitutional amendment in 2014.

If they do, it will get smacked down by an even larger margin.

To all those who were banking on using Sioux County to claim to the NCAA that Standing Rock really really approves after all ... all I can say is "oops."

Boy I called this one. I'm not sure which is more pathetic; watching half wits create false positives which would be in direct contradiction to their very own obsessive assertions regarding this issue or the glee in which otherwise rational people are celebrating the methodical dismantling of their own identity.

After the celebration ends and even the most tireless trumpeter's sounds his last favor in the name of the future of UND athletics, the truth which will resonate in the hearts and minds off all who have come to identify with and love what it is to be a part of the FIGHTING SIOUX culture will be illuminated.

In the end thats all we have here. Well that and some really good clarity regarding how the native americans in Sioux country feel about the Sioux name right Sicatoka?

From the GF Hurled online ...

“This primary vote was supposed to be about letting the people of North Dakota have a say,” O’Keefe said. “They’ve had their say, and clearly the people of North Dakota are ready to retire the name. Why would someone think the results of another vote would be any different? If they do press forward, we will be there to protect the university.”

Yes we will Tim. Yes we will.