SiouxSports.com Forum

Eades to MSUM?

Vegas_Sioux

If I remember right reading in the MSP Tribune his family has never moved with him though. It would be nice to see him get the job. Good for us keeping Eades and bad for the whistling pigs (aka Gophers) to lose him.

It would suck for us...but Mankato calling Guentzel to "gauge interest" and Eades actually putting the paperwork through is a whole different deal.

I found it interesting that in the majority of interviews on tv/radio in the twin cities throughout the season, Guentzel was consistently identified as one of the primary reasons for the Rodents resurgence. (especially by the players) Lucia was rarely mentioned it seemed except for his failure to call a timeout in the Final Five semifinal against the Sioux. :(

The gofs gonna keep him around so he can take over once Lucia-pet leaves to become pig-10 hockey commish?

I thought John Hill as doing a great job at UMN.

I would say it a bit differently. "He was certainly very good for the MN program." :)

Guentzel probably would make more as an assistant at MN than the head coach at Mankato. My guess anyway.

I found it interesting that in the majority of interviews on tv/radio in the twin cities throughout the season, Guentzel was consistently identified as one of the primary reasons for the Rodents resurgence. (especially by the players) Lucia was rarely mentioned it seemed except for his failure to call a timeout in the Final Five semifinal against the Sioux. :sad:

The gofs gonna keep him around so he can take over once Lucia-pet leaves to become pig-10 hockey commish?

That is quite possible. If Guentzel essentially shows a lack of interest I believe the writing MIGHT be on the wall that Lucia will be done sooner as coach rather than later....everyone knows Guentzel wants to run his own program, and secondly that he is a M guy at hear.

Anyway...Eades would be a darn fine choice, either of them on paper would be essentially.

That is quite possible. If Guentzel essentially shows a lack of interest I believe the writing MIGHT be on the wall that Lucia will be done sooner as coach rather than later....everyone knows Guentzel wants to run his own program, and secondly that he is a M guy at hear.

Anyway...Eades would be a darn fine choice, either of them on paper would be essentially.

No disrespect towards Eades, but I think UMN-TC losing Mike G. would be a much tougher loss for the program. It seems Mike brought that program back from the depths of mediocrity, and perhaps he should be the head coach there now instead of Don Lucifer.

I would say it a bit differently. "He was certainly very good for the MN program." :)

Guentzel probably would make more as an assistant at MN than the head coach at Mankato. My guess anyway.

Maybe so but I am all for him getting resigned by the Goofs. :)

Edited by Goon

I really think Guentzel will stay at Minnesota, I'm sure him and Lucia have had some conversations about how much longer Lucia will be doing this. If I were to guess I'd say Lucia will only be Head Coach for maybe another couple seasons and then he will retire and become a full time hockey dad following Mario and Notre Dame hockey.

I found it interesting that in the majority of interviews on tv/radio in the twin cities throughout the season, Guentzel was consistently identified as one of the primary reasons for the Rodents resurgence. (especially by the players) Lucia was rarely mentioned it seemed except for his failure to call a timeout in the Final Five semifinal against the Sioux. :sad:

Don't doubt that could happen, but Lucia would need to learn to see beyond his maroon and gold glasses and realize how to assess Minnesota realistically. With North Dakota in a new conference, no doubt Michigan will take over as the bad guys in his eyes and if you're in their position do you want somebody judging suspensions and such with that slant? Then again, he couldn't possibly be as inept as the current WCHA leadership.

I really think Guentzel will stay at Minnesota, I'm sure him and Lucia have had some conversations about how much longer Lucia will be doing this. If I were to guess I'd say Lucia will only be Head Coach for maybe another couple seasons and then he will retire and become a full time hockey dad following Mario and Notre Dame hockey.

That's too bad...cant he just catch the weekly special on NBCSports? :)

My guess is that Eades gets it. He's the only candidate that has actually come out and expressed interest in the position.

He'd definitely be qualified.

Then the question becomes...who does Hakstol get to replace him?

I would think Steve Johnson would be someone that would apply for the job. He did before a few years ago when there was an opening. He might be a good option.

I think Eades has actually submitted a formal application for the job, so that is why he is considered the favorite.

Or they may bump up one of the assistants, ala Hakstol taking over for Blais. Eades' public desire for the Mankato job may also signal his desire for another gig, such as the USHL, another college team, etc., since Haks probably isn't going elsewhere anytime soon.

Or they may bump up one of the assistants, ala Hakstol taking over for Blais. Eades' public desire for the Mankato job may also signal his desire for another gig, such as the USHL, another college team, etc., since Haks probably isn't going elsewhere anytime soon.

I'm pretty sure he would love to be a head coach somewhere but I believe for him to leave to become a head coach he will have to make more than he makes at UND. I just don't think Mankato or a USHL team would be able to do that.

Another thing that could maybe influence Eades a little is I believe his son and daughter are both in high school and play varsity hockey at EGF maybe he doesn't want them to have to move and would rather let them finish here and than he could look for a head coaching job elsewhere when they are done with school.

Another thing that could maybe influence Eades a little is I believe his son and daughter are both in high school and play varsity hockey at EGF maybe he doesn't want them to have to move and would rather let them finish here and than he could look for a head coaching job elsewhere when they are done with school.

Not to sound rude here....but I'm pretty sure those things crossed his mind before he submitted the paperwork.

Not to sound rude here....but I'm pretty sure those things crossed his mind before he submitted the paperwork.

I'm sure they did, with what I have seen from his son I would guess he would go to Shattuck if Eades were to get the job. I was mainly just trying to find some more reasons for why he wouldn't take the job.

True, but showing interest vs actually signing the contract is different. You just never know what a person will do in the end. To a point, it does come down to career vs. family. Sure his kid might play at Shattuck nearby, but you are uprooting him from a place he has grown accustomed to.