SiouxSports.com Forum

Eades to MSUM?

Vegas_Sioux

I'm pretty sure he would love to be a head coach somewhere but I believe for him to leave to become a head coach he will have to make more than he makes at UND. I just don't think Mankato or a USHL team would be able to do that.

I've heard this used by a bunch of people all over the place. I think the reality is that MSU knows they are going to have to pay more money. We aren't going to get a high quality coach by paying the same amount as we paid Jutting. It just won't work that way. I fully believe that if they weren't going to pay more and get a top level guy, they wouldn't have made this move in the first place. It just wouldn't make sense.

I've told a few people that this seems to fit with President Davenports grand plan. He's done a good job of capitalizing on opportunities in places that a lot of people don't see an opportunity. He's quietly taken a leadership role within the new WCHA and the initiatives that he's been pushing on campus (non-athletic) have been very impressive. MSU is now the 2nd largest university in the state and he's pushing the university to start acting like it is rather than playing the victim in this crappy situation. I truly think he and the AD see the writing on the wall that this is a crossroads for the hockey program. Make the right decision and the program goes in the right direction. Make the wrong decision and the program sinks even further. Going cheap on this hire is not going in the right direction. Maybe I'm wrong, but those are the signs that I'm getting.

I'm pretty sure he would love to be a head coach somewhere but I believe for him to leave to become a head coach he will have to make more than he makes at UND. I just don't think Mankato or a USHL team would be able to do that.

Actually Steve Johnson made more at Lincoln than Eades makes here. I would bet that Chad Johnson makes more than Eades. Lincoln makes more money than the entire UND Athletic Department does. Before UND moved to the new arena Lincoln took in more money at the gate than UND. Lincoln's gate is over 40K a game.

My guess is that Eades gets it. He's the only candidate that has actually come out and expressed interest in the position.

He'd definitely be qualified.

Then the question becomes...who does Hakstol get to replace him?

Eades would be a terrible loss for the program. In many respects, I think he's a better coach than Hak. MSU-M would do well to do what it takes to get him as he's obviously a top-shelf candidate but it's awfully tough to recruit to Mankato vs. UND, WI, MN, Duluth. Say what you want about Jutting, he was behind the 8-ball recruiting and still did a decent job. MSU-M is going to have to spend some serious money to raise the status of the program and make things easier for whomever takes over for Jutting. Any recruit coming in and seeing the 5,000 person arena and the practice facility vs. those at UND has a no-brainer of a decision. Of course, one can get the occasional Backes, Morin, Shane Joseph, Ryan Carter etc but it takes more than one or two of them on a team to compete. As a Sioux fan, I hope Eades stays.

Or they may bump up one of the assistants, ala Hakstol taking over for Blais. Eades' public desire for the Mankato job may also signal his desire for another gig, such as the USHL, another college team, etc., since Haks probably isn't going elsewhere anytime soon.

Doubt very much that it will be one of the assistants. That's what Jutting was, evidently, and if MSU-M is smart it will go outside of the program. If Eades is selected and MSU-M invests some money, it may be a precursor to joining the NCHC in a few years. SCSU (Jan Brady State) would not have gotten in there but for Gino. A commitment to spending some considerable money to rehab the concrete barn that is the National Hockey Center didn't hurt but they can thank Gino for SCSU getting raptured into the NCHC, in spite of what its President (or was it the AD) said.

Any chance that if Eades leaves some recruits follow him? I don't know if it happens in hockey with asst. coaches but one of the Cal football team's asst. coaches left some big recruits followed him to Washington.

Let me see.

A: Play at UND?

B: Play at Mankato?

C: Have a lobotomy (same thing as B)

I think I would chose A.

I see what you're getting at, but it assumes a fairly equal program status. If Eades left to coach Minnesota or one of the Boston schools or New Hampshire or Maine or Michigan you might run that risk of a recruit following. I don't think that would be the case with Mankato. No offense meant to the purple cow program, but any rational person would not put it in the same tier as UND for the top-end recruits

Any chance that if Eades leaves some recruits follow him? I don't know if it happens in hockey with asst. coaches but one of the Cal football team's asst. coaches left some big recruits followed him to Washington.

Maybe if he was leaving for a better program.

Mankato shouldn't be a concern.

EDIT: Beat me by seconds yzerman :lol:

I agree you're leaving a high profile program for one with no history.

Just to be clear though, it happens all the time (in many other sports) that kids leave a program when the coach that recruited them leaves. They don't necessarily go to the program that the coach goes to, they go to their #2 school that they had chosen.

Just to be clear though, it happens all the time (in many other sports) that kids leave a program when the coach that recruited them leaves. They don't necessarily go to the program that the coach goes to, they go to their #2 school that they had chosen.

You are right, it happens very often in other sports. It happens in hockey too, just not that often. The most recent one is Johnny Gaudreau, committed to Northeastern, coach left, then ended up playing for BC. I can't remember anyone else though. This is kind of different though, moving from a smaller program to a very large one. I wouldn't be too worried about any of our recruits jumping ship to Mankato, Major Junior's on the other hand....

You are right, it happens very often in other sports. It happens in hockey too, just not that often. The most recent one is Johnny Gaudreau, committed to Northeastern, coach left, then ended up playing for BC. I can't remember anyone else though. This is kind of different though, moving from a smaller program to a very large one. I wouldn't be too worried about any of our recruits jumping ship to Mankato, Major Junior's on the other hand....

Well, NE was the head coach leaving, which shakes up the entire staff vs an asst stepping in. Plus, for recruits its the Ralph and history vs Verizon Wireless... Sorry

Well, NE was the head coach leaving, which shakes up the entire staff vs an asst stepping in. Plus, for recruits its the Ralph and history vs Verizon Wireless... Sorry

I agree I don't see us losing high profile recruits to a program that finshed 11th place in the WCHA last season, but also it's a step down, playing for a storied program to one that has floundered. Besides there is one more season before UND is in the new NCHC and the Mavericks are going to be in the nWCHA. I don't see it happening. I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

How about Jordan Schmaltz? He opened up his recruitment when Osieki? left Wisconsin for the Ohio St head job.