SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

I might be in the minority here, but after this past season, I can't see MacMillan-Rowney-Parks being split up, they were just too good down the stretch. Here is my lineup, based on the fact that Hakstol stated he really likes Grimaldi at center. I know the first line is a stretch.

Chyzyk-Knight-Kristo Knight and Kristo need no explanation. Chyzyk can ride the two vets to a very successful rookie year. Solid two-way play and a good goal-scorer. Think a lesser skilled Jason Gregoire.

MacMillan-Rowney-Parks Very good line down the stretch last year. Expect all to be slightly under a point-per-game pace. Parks and Rowney could hit 20 goals.

O'Donnell-Grimaldi-Koules Grimaldi could be this teams best player. O'Donnell was impressive in the few games he played. Hopefully Koules can rediscover the success that made him such a high-end recruit a year and a half ago.

Fourth Line Combination of Caggiula, Rodwell, St. Clair, Pattyn, Gaarder and possibly Gleason.

I agree with a lot of your thinking. If you read one of my earlier posts, I didn't want to split up the RPM line either, but the more I think about it, the more I think that you surround Grimaldi with two guys with some chemistry and experience. You want Rocco to have a ton of success early, and surrounding him with MacMillan and Parks should help that. I also think that Rowney proved he can lead a young line to success last year. Having him on a third line makes it an immediate scoring threat. He is a senior who scored what, 18 goals last year? If I recall correctly, that's what the Osh did...not comparing Rowney to Oshie, but he did score 18 goals.

I agree with a lot of your thinking. If you read one of my earlier posts, I didn't want to split up the RPM line either, but the more I think about it, the more I think that you surround Grimaldi with two guys with some chemistry and experience. You want Rocco to have a ton of success early, and surrounding him with MacMillan and Parks should help that. I also think that Rowney proved he can lead a young line to success last year. Having him on a third line makes it an immediate scoring threat. He is a senior who scored what, 18 goals last year? If I recall correctly, that's what the Osh did...not comparing Rowney to Oshie, but he did score 18 goals.

The only issue I have is that Hakstol stated that he really likes Rocco at center, so I think he will play there. There is no way Knight plays wing. Another thing is that Rocco, Knight, and Kristo are all right handed shots. Can Rocco or Kristo play the off-wing confidently? It would be a fun line to watch thats for sure.

Freshmen to skate on the first line as freshmen...Parise did, and I think Zajac did by mid-year. Osh was a second liner, Toewser too. Parise and Oshie were both true freshmen. Toews was 17. At 18, Toews was the best two-way center in college hockey and our #1 pivot.

The only issue I have is that Hakstol stated that he really likes Rocco at center, so I think he will play there. There is no way Knight plays wing. Another thing is that Rocco, Knight, and Kristo are all right handed shots. Can Rocco or Kristo play the off-wing effectively? It would be a fun line to watch thats for sure.

My most recent post has Knight with Kristo and O'Donnell and then Rocco with Parks and MacMillan...I know that breaks up the RPM, but I think you need to if you want to roll three scoring lines.

As for the off-wing, I think Kristo could do it very effectively. It might allow for him to create a little more space. It also would allow him to move across the middle of the ice and let loose with the quick release.

No way does Knight lose his first line center role, and you can be sure Grimaldi will also play center...

I also think, at least at the beginning of the year you really don't want to put too many freshman on the ice at once, and I do really think that you want to set Rocco up for success. Playing between MacMillan and Parks will allow him to create and still be somewhat protected by those two and their abilities and experience.

I think the question really is whether the coaching staff really wants Grimaldi at center which would lead to 3 pretty balanced scoring lines or whether they want him on the top line on a wing which could make it more like 2 balanced scoring lines.

MacMillan-Knight-Kristo

Rodwell-Rowney-Parks

O'Donnel-Grimaldi-Cagiula

or

Grimaldi-Knight-Kristo

MacMillan-Rowney-Parks

The more I think of it the more I kinda like the idea of Rodwell and Rowney together, two big guys, can play physical, good speed and skill. I think if he can stay healthy Rodwell could be a guy who could step up his production kind of like Rowney did this year.

I think the question really is whether the coaching staff really wants Grimaldi at center which would lead to 3 pretty balanced scoring lines or whether they want him on the top line on a wing which could make it more like 2 balanced scoring lines.

MacMillan-Knight-Kristo

Rodwell-Rowney-Parks

O'Donnel-Grimaldi-Cagiula

or

Grimaldi-Knight-Kristo

MacMillan-Rowney-Parks

The more I think of it the more I kinda like the idea of Rodwell and Rowney together, two big guys, can play physical, good speed and skill. I think if he can stay healthy Rodwell could be a guy who could step up his production kind of like Rowney did this year.

My opinion, so take it for that, but I don't think that Rodwell has shown top 6 skill. He is fast and pretty physical. If he earns it, I could see him on a third line to start the year, but I don't think he'll crack the top six.

My gut tells me that he will be competing for an energy line role, which he could excel at.

My opinion, so take it for that, but I don't think that Rodwell has shown top 6 skill. He is fast and pretty physical. If he earns it, I could see him on a third line to start the year, but I don't think he'll crack the top six.

My gut tells me that he will be competing for an energy line role, which he could excel at.

In the situation where he is in the top 6 there really isn't a huge difference between line 2&3, but I get what you're saying he really needs to prove himself, but I do see the potential there.

"Energy" line fits Rodwell perfectly. Plenty of speed, with the ability to cycle well, and at times a little out of control. Seen nice glimpses from him with that great shorthanded goal at Maine his freshman season and was just starting to come around before he got injured this year. A light turned on with Rowney his Junior year, hopefully Rodwell can make similar strides.

I still think we'll see this... at least to start the year

Knight with Kristo and O'Donnell

Grimaldi with Parks and MacMillan

Rowney with Koules and Chyzyk

St Clair with Rodwell and Caggiula

Forbert and Schmaltz

MacWilliam and Mattson

Simpson and Gleason

just my final two cents before i hit the sack...happy about Danny coming back! GO SIOUX!

I think next years team could have many different line combos based on the fact that they will be so deep at the center position. Knight, Rowney, Grimaldi and O'Donnel are all really good centers that are in our top 6-7 forwards. So I would presume at least one will play wing next year. Also, I think many are underrating the value Rodwell will have on this team. In no way do I see him as a healthy scratch. He will be a valuable 3rd ro 4th line guy that will be a solid penalty killer for this team. It will certainly be nice to have some options as opposed to this year thoough.

I expect these guys to all be in the lineup if healthy: Knight, Kristo, Rowney, Rodwell, Parks, MacMillan, O'Donnell, Grimaldi.

Grimaldi could well end up the most talented player on the team, and as a result he'll eventually be playing with the other best players; they'll make the positions work somehow.

It's hard to say that (being fixtures in the lineup) about any of the freshmen without seeing them. Beating out Gaarder and Pattyn won't be easy as they appear to be Hak's type of guys, trustworthy on the ice, and they earned a lot of goodwill this year. They could easily become fixtures on the fourth line, even though fans may long for "more talented" freshmen to play instead.

I'm also pretty interested to see what kind of player Jim could become. Say what you want about his pedigree and the comedic value of his skating mishaps, but with his size and reach it was tough to get the puck away from him when he got it in the corner. He had surprisingly good hands and a frequent inclination to take a cycled puck straight to the net.

I'm not sure if your poking fun or not. I just found the site to do it, and I might be going a little overboard with them, haha.

You can make them at memegenerator.net

No, No, No... I like the Kristo ones... Thanks for the link...

I expect these guys to all be in the lineup if healthy: Knight, Kristo, Rowney, Rodwell, Parks, MacMillan, O'Donnell, Grimaldi.

Grimaldi could well end up the most talented player on the team, and as a result he'll eventually be playing with the other best players; they'll make the positions work somehow.

It's hard to say that (being fixtures in the lineup) about any of the freshmen without seeing them. Beating out Gaarder and Pattyn won't be easy as they appear to be Hak's type of guys, trustworthy on the ice, and they earned a lot of goodwill this year. They could easily become fixtures on the fourth line, even though fans may long for "more talented" freshmen to play instead.

I'm also pretty interested to see what kind of player Jim could become. Say what you want about his pedigree and the comedic value of his skating mishaps, but with his size and reach it was tough to get the puck away from him when he got it in the corner. He had surprisingly good hands and a frequent inclination to take a cycled puck straight to the net.

I think Jim is a fantastic player. He may not be the most skilled guy but you can tell he is all heart. I think a lot of people may underestimate Jim and that will only work to his advantage. Believe it or not but it is guys like Jim who really bring the team together and cohesive. I will be so happy for him when he gets his first goal. I remember back at the Final Five this year right as the announcers were announcing Parks had scored to make it 2-3 against the gophers Jim comes along the sidewall and passes it over to Brock to tie it up at 3 and the route was on.

So I'm sure it's been discussed, but can someone explain to me what they are gonna do with all these players next season? As I see it now, the returning forwards are: Kristo, Knight,Rowney, MacMillan, Parks, Gaarder, Pattyn, O'Donnell, Grimaldi, Senkbeil, Rodwell, Dickins, St. Clair. So thats 13 RETURNING Forwards. Returning Defensemen are: Mattson, Simpson, Forbort, MacWilliam, Gleason, Panzarella. So that 6 RETURNING Defensemen. Returning Goalies are: Dell, Maris. So there are 2 RETURNING Goalies. So That makes 21 returning players, now the incoming players. For Forwards incoming: Koules, Chyzyk, Sanderson and I think Caggiula, oh and don't forget that McMillan is coming in January. So thats 5 INCOMING Forwards, Incoming Defensemen are: Schmaltz and possibly LaDue. So we will say 1 INCOMING Defenseman. Lastly  the Incoming Goalies are: Gothberg and Sanders. Making 2 INCOMING Goalies. That makes a total of roughly 8 Incoming players, which makes a total of 29 players on roster. Can someone please explain to me how they are gonna have all these kids on roster? Seems like way to many players and makes you wonder if some kids will leave due to lack of playing time.

Never believe who is leaving, or coming in, until you see them on the ice.

And for the record, you normally have six guys in the stands (a "fifth" line, a "fourth" pair of D, and the third goalie).

They now usually dress three goalies for the game.