SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Gophers

AZSIOUX

KFAN beyond the pond segment this morning on how Hennen announcing gave UND advantage. Really? In your backyard? Move the tourney to Grand Forks next year and bring your announcer. And good luck with a Big 10 tourney in Madison or Detroit or Columbus! I guess it must have been hard hearing "here's your University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux SCORING...." SIX UNANSWERED TIMES!

He was saying it with same enthuasim for Gophers (unlike unprofessional Lapanta). I wondered how many fans realized what was going on though that our fans already had an arm cheer to go along with the announcement.

Unless I missed it, I've not seen anyone post anything about the number of hits delivered by each team - at one point during the game they flashed it on the TV screen and it HEAVILY favored the Sioux. I have to believe that it was a factor. There's a good argument to be made that the Sioux wore them down.

Now I've heard it all if Minnesota fans are complaining that Scott Hennen's goal-scoring announcements affected the Gopher hockey team. What's next, the U of Minnesota asking if the last-ever WCHA Final Five can be hosted at Mariucci Arena so as to not give an unfair advantage to their opponents?

BTW, it didn't take long for Gopher etiquette to show. Minutes after the game, a disappointed fan plows through a picture-taking moment and yells "LET'S GO DENVER" to a friend and me. I quickly replied "so-ore loo-oooser" back which was immediately met with some chest-thumping and a "wanna take this outside, Sioux fan?". No thanks, but I appreciate you barging in on a picture moment with a 12 year old Sioux fan.

KFAN beyond the pond segment this morning on how Hennen announcing gave UND advantage. Really? In your backyard? Move the tourney to Grand Forks next year and bring your announcer. And good luck with a Big 10 tourney in Madison or Detroit or Columbus! I guess it must have been hard hearing "here's your University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux SCORING...." SIX UNANSWERED TIMES!

You're not serious! That is absolutely pathetic.

The amount of butthurt coming from Gopher fans as a result of last nights game is absolutely enjoyable to read. I actually want to see another rematch against them just to see the Sioux pull off another upset against them. Yeah, the Gophers are a more talented team but our boys got heart and spirit to grind out wins.

Where's GFG? I'd like to hear his thoughts on the game. He's one of the better Gopher fans alongside Sagard and FHG.

That is absolutely pathetic. Just when you think they have finished coming up with pathetic excuses for losses to us, they top themselves. Gopher fans come into this tournament every year with the attitude that this is really the Gopher Invitational Tournament (GIT) and the Gophers are the real stars of the show and the rest of the teams really don't matter. When that narrative doesn't play out, they resort to this type of garbage. I guess it shouldn't surprise me. :angry:

Their fans also should stop picking fights they cannot win. The Gopher fan "interviewed" before the game said we are spending all our money on lawyers while they are spending theirs on making their facilities better. Well son, I got news for you, you can dump as much money as you want into The John, but you'll never, ever match the overwhelming advantage of Ralph Engelstad Arena. REA has been there for 11 years now. Seriously, get over it! :silly:

BTW, it didn't take long for Gopher etiquette to show. Minutes after the game, a disappointed fan plows through a picture-taking moment and yells "LET'S GO DENVER" to a friend and me. I quickly replied "so-ore loo-oooser" back which was immediately met with some chest-thumping and a "wanna take this outside, Sioux fan?". No thanks, but I appreciate you barging in on a picture moment with a 12 year old Sioux fan.

Yes, leaving the arena last night a gopher fan pretends to be magnanimous but ends up with the whole "you're racist Nazi's" blah blah blah... Wish we would have seen the gopher fan after the game who, before the game, was yelling to everyone walking past the Liffey about Kristo's 3 toes, blah blah blah. All the gopher fans thought he was so clever.

Last night was sweet.

Yes, leaving the arena last night a gopher fan pretends to be magnanimous but ends up with the whole "you're racist Nazi's" blah blah blah... Wish we would have seen the gopher fan after the game who, before the game, was yelling to everyone walking past the Liffey about Kristo's 3 toes, blah blah blah. All the gopher fans thought he was so clever.

Last night was sweet.

Dagies, both fan bases have their jerkoff's I got asked to fight for no reason last nigth, I walked out quiet as can be. I love people that take it so serious they want to fight even though we as fans have no control over the game, A holes like that need to go.

That is absolutely pathetic. Just when you think they have finished coming up with pathetic excuses for losses to us, they top themselves. Gopher fans come into this tournament every year with the attitude that this is really the Gopher Invitational Tournament (GIT) and the Gophers are the real stars of the show and the rest of the teams really don't matter. When that narrative doesn't play out, they resort to this type of garbage. I guess it shouldn't surprise me. :angry:

Their fans also should stop picking fights they cannot win. The Gopher fan "interviewed" before the game said we are spending all our money on lawyers while they are spending theirs on making their facilities better. Well son, I got news for you, you can dump as much money as you want into The John, but you'll never, ever match the overwhelming advantage of Ralph Engelstad Arena. REA has been there for 11 years now. Seriously, get over it! :silly:

BTP guys wet a line with that one and caught a lot :D

BTP guys wet a line with that one and caught a lot :D

It really shows that you can play the college game and still be clueless about anything but the technical side of the game. Michelletti has so many factual errors every week that you wonder if he is just babbling hoping he spits out some information that has some basis in fact. When he said that he thought the gophers were the reason the Sioux weren't having success in the first two periods, then said the gophers quit playing and it was nothing the Sioux did, it kind of just epitomizes his lack of objectivity.

He was saying it with same enthuasim for Gophers (unlike unprofessional Lapanta). I wondered how many fans realized what was going on though that our fans already had an arm cheer to go along with the announcement.

Yes, when the goofs scored a goal LaPanta's "SCORESSSSS" would last several seconds. When ND scored it wouldn't last more than 2. Nice.

Dagies, both fan bases have their jerkoff's I got asked to fight for no reason last nigth, I walked out quiet as can be. I love people that take it so serious they want to fight even though we as fans have no control over the game, A holes like that need to go.

And I wish you had taken me up on that.

j/k, obviously. You are right, but still, those are reason that added sweetness to the victory.

I didn't think LaPanta was that homerish at all myself. In fact, he took a few stabs at the Gophs as well, like with the Holy Cross comment. During the big comeback, his "scores" commentary was pretty energetic and wasn't as short as some of you are insisting.

I don't think his voice works for play-by-play hockey, but I didn't catch much of the homerism other than a call or two that he thought was maybe missed.

Now I've heard it all if Minnesota fans are complaining that Scott Hennen's goal-scoring announcements affected the Gopher hockey team. What's next, the U of Minnesota asking if the last-ever WCHA Final Five can be hosted at Mariucci Arena so as to not give an unfair advantage to their opponents?

Next year they should bring in Brian Lee Rivers, that would really piss off the Gophers fans.

We heard far more trash talking from Gopher fans than I have ever heard before. It seemed like it was every few minutes, even last night after the game was over and we were in the St. Patty's party on 7th. And most of these comments came from people who didn't appear to be drunk. I realize that they have had a tough past few years, but act like you've been to the Final Five before rather than open your mouth and let everyone know you are a newbie.

• Upvote 1

Just listened to the Beyond the pond segment. Those guys are the biggest homers... They were a bit tounge in cheeck in talking about the announcer, but you could tell it really bothered them that he was doing the game...

Gee.... the game is basically in their home town and they're bitching about the guy who used to be the Sioux announcer?! Talk about grasping at straws!