SiouxSports.com Forum

The Sanctions and Punishments Have Arrived

The Sicatoka

Ira I have never been for hurting UND - it is not going to hurt us significantly to follow the agreement - Just don't wear the Logo - we can afford to purchase generic helmets & uniforms - what the crowd does or the media does is not our problem

The Sioux Name will never die to Hockey Fans any hope of keeping it is worth doing

Since the Fighting Sioux won't be playing this weekend, who will you cheer for??

:huh:

Oh wait, you can still cheer for them without the name.....

I may call them the Fighting Fetch's cause they are a lot like me :silly::p;)

Let us hope they are not as ignorant as you. You know if they were so willing to fight to the end for what they believe there would be no Native Americans left. Nope they gave up when they saw their fight was hopeless and moved to the reservations as a beaten people.

ignorant as you

who ? ? ? the Fighting Sioux - just more mud slinging & name calling from a small group of Kelly Minions

You have been asked to not do this

Lighten up - it shows who the educated idiots are

If the women's tournament is any indication, don't expect the men to be able to take a program home with their picture in it. I would assume the men's team photo includes them in the jersey with the logo on it like the women's did. The NCAA deemed that to be inappropriate and excluded the picture from the program, I would expect to see the same this weekend. Not really a big deal, just another small one in the continuous list of items that will keep piling up.

Uhmmm......So, your background is that of a "Community Organizer"? Or, maybe your first name is Earl, Kent or Byron. :sad:

No, more of a detailed inspection and compliance officer. If I were the other I'd probably work for a fascist organization (like the NCAA).

What will happen if a Sioux player scores a hat trick and a hundred Sioux hats hit the ice and penetrate the "no-Sioux-zone". I would love to see that.

There's no way the NCAA can limit what fans say or where to the games. The "X" is publicly owned and the fact that it's being "rented" by a "private" body does not place restrictions on free speech. Kind of the reverse of what was argued vis-a-vis the Ralph where it is a private body and the fact that it's being "rented" by a public body does not expand free speech. The irony is that if the NCAA wanted to ban Fighting Sioux gear, it would have to "rent" a privately owned place like the Ralph to do so. Of course, certain members here under the aegis of the surrender agreement and based upon the logic of protecting the school and it's athletes would probably, no doubt, impart some manner of legitimacy as to such an arrangement.

There's no way the NCAA can limit what fans say or where to the games. The "X" is publicly owned and the fact that it's being "rented" by a "private" body does not place restrictions on free speech. Kind of the reverse of what was argued vis-a-vis the Ralph where it is a private body and the fact that it's being "rented" by a public body does not expand free speech. The irony is that if the NCAA wanted to ban Fighting Sioux gear, it would have to "rent" a privately owned place like the Ralph to do so. Of course, certain members here under the aegis of the surrender agreement and based upon the logic of protecting the school and it's athletes would probably, no doubt, impart some manner of legitimacy as to such an arrangement.

UND has repeatedly said that they had no plans to prevent people from wearing Fighting Sioux clothing. The NCAA has said that they have no plans to prevent people from wearing Fighting Sioux clothing. Yet people keep throwing out this Trojan horse. It isn't an issue for anyone other than those that want to start an argument.

UND has repeatedly said that they had no plans to prevent people from wearing Fighting Sioux clothing. The NCAA has said that they have no plans to prevent people from wearing Fighting Sioux clothing. Yet people keep throwing out this Trojan horse. It isn't an issue for anyone other than those that want to start an argument.

No, the NCAA has remained silent. Even Kelley indicated that he'd have to "push back" if the NCAA came out publicly in that way. I don't recall seeing either side repeatedly saying anything. The NCAA, of course, preferred to remain "silent" on it evidently content with presumptions and innuendo to be taken from its earlier letter with misspelled names, etc.

What will happen if a Sioux player scores a hat trick and a hundred Sioux hats hit the ice and penetrate the "no-Sioux-zone". I would love to see that.

I will be at the frozen four and when the Sioux win I will be throwing my Sioux jersey on the ice and I believe it wil be picked up and hoisted in the air by our proud Fighting Sioux Champions. If not mine then one of hundreds that will be lauched beside mine.

No, the NCAA has remained silent. Even Kelley indicated that he'd have to "push back" if the NCAA came out publicly in that way. I don't recall seeing either side repeatedly saying anything. The NCAA, of course, preferred to remain "silent" on it evidently content with presumptions and innuendo to be taken from its earlier letter with misspelled names, etc.

The NCAA has repeatedly said that the ban applies to the official school representatives, including players, cheerleaders and band. They spell things out very specifically and have from the beginning. There have also been statements from the NCAA that said they would not try to restrict what fans wear regarding clothing with nicknames or logos. Kelley has said the same thing and has said that UND would never prevent fans from wearing Fighting Sioux clothing. Kelley made the statement about pushing back after being asked what would happen if the NCAA tried to do something. But the NCAA has never indicated any inclination to do that. You may not have seen the statements from either side, but they have been out there, especially from UND. The NCAA tends to speak only when they feel it is necessary, so the statements haven't been as numerous. If the NCAA had any plans to restrict clothing by fans they would have to put it out in the public because stopping people at the game itself without notice would cause a whole lot more problems. There is no plan to do anything like this and people keep bringing it up to try to create more animosity.

Could our team wear FSU jerseys? especially if it were in Tampa :glare:???

http://shop.uscho.co...t_Hockey_Jersey

Yes. That's how stupid this whole thing is. If someone had any backbone for protest, that's exactly what would be done. They should get a bunch of FSU t-shirts and wear them under their gear and should all be in those t-shirts for interviews in between periods and after the games.

• Upvote 1

The bigger concern with the regionals this weekend is if Taz Boy wears his Fighting Sioux jersey and the ladies riot to get even a glimpse of the awesomeness. A lustful mob is not easy to contain.

As long as the players, coaches, and cheerleaders don't wear logo'd uniforms, they'll be fine. I don't see the NCAA reps on site going all Gestapo on UND if they make a reasonable effort to contain the logo. NCAA employees become more sensible as you branch out from the Executive Committee.

The NCAA has repeatedly said that the ban applies to the official school representatives, including players, cheerleaders and band. They spell things out very specifically and have from the beginning. There have also been statements from the NCAA that said they would not try to restrict what fans wear regarding clothing with nicknames or logos. Kelley has said the same thing and has said that UND would never prevent fans from wearing Fighting Sioux clothing. Kelley made the statement about pushing back after being asked what would happen if the NCAA tried to do something. But the NCAA has never indicated any inclination to do that. You may not have seen the statements from either side, but they have been out there, especially from UND. The NCAA tends to speak only when they feel it is necessary, so the statements haven't been as numerous. If the NCAA had any plans to restrict clothing by fans they would have to put it out in the public because stopping people at the game itself without notice would cause a whole lot more problems. There is no plan to do anything like this and people keep bringing it up to try to create more animosity.

Yeah. It's not like this is new. This has been going on at Marquette for 16 years now. A large portion of their crowd at their games still wears Warrior gear and they will always be known better as the Warriors than whatever name they are going by now....same thing will happen with UND whether we change our name or go without a name a good majority of people will still be referring to UND as the Fighting Sioux 20 years from now.

Yes. That's how stupid this whole thing is. If someone had any backbone for protest, that's exactly what would be done. They should get a bunch of FSU t-shirts and wear them under their gear and should all be in those t-shirts for interviews in between periods and after the games.

I wasn't aware FSU played hockey. If someone had the backbone they would wear the current UND jersey and see if the NCAA is bluffing. FSU went through the required steps and had immediate approval from their state's Seminole tribe and their state gov't immediately challenged the NCAAwhen the sanction list came out. UND did not. Wearing an FSU shirt wouldn't change that.

No they couldn't. Not sure what the NCAA would do, but I would not let anyone associated with UND officials, the team, cheerleaders or band have anything with Native American imagery. Not worth the chance and it would accomplish nothing. The team should not give any of this a thought, They need to focus on the games at hand. This is no longer a hockey team issue. Their job is to play hockey and they need to stay focused on that. The fans may do whatever we like. I am pretty sure Hakstol and the coaches are focused on winning and won't waste their time with the logo issue.
  • Upvote 2

I wasn't aware FSU played hockey. If someone had the backbone they would wear the current UND jersey and see if the NCAA is bluffing. FSU went through the required steps and had immediate approval from their state's Seminole tribe and their state gov't immediately challenged the NCAAwhen the sanction list came out. UND did not. Wearing an FSU shirt wouldn't change that.

Absolutely.

Before they do that though, why don't you play Russian roulette and see if that gun is actually fully loaded?

Seems like you are more than willing to let some student-athletes destroy their dreams over your fantasy of keeping the Fighting Sioux sweaters on the hockey team forever, aren't you?

• Upvote 1

I'm curious if the ESPN affiliates will be using the nickname during their coverage of the NCAA tournament. Also, would anyone put it past the NCAA to request they not show highlights from previous games where our nickname and logo are prominently displayed? Often times they'll lead into a game showing highlights of how the two teams got there. Maybe since ESPN is not the NCAA it has no say; but I suppose it could be in their broadcast contract somewhere.

I'm curious if the ESPN affiliates will be using the nickname during their coverage of the NCAA tournament. Also, would anyone put it past the NCAA to request they not show highlights from previous games where our nickname and logo are prominently displayed? Often times they'll lead into a game showing highlights of how the two teams got there. Maybe since ESPN is not the NCAA it has no say; but I suppose it could be in their broadcast contract somewhere.

I would imagine with the ties they have to the NCAA for more profitable sports, they will adhere to the no nickname policy of the NCAA. But, it will be interesting if they pan to the crowd and show UND Sioux gear on the fans.

Man, do you think the NCAA would micromanage to this degree?