SiouxSports.com Forum

The Sanctions and Punishments Have Arrived

The Sicatoka

You know - what a crock thinking ND is going to do something to UND if teams don't wear Sioux Gear for ncaa events

What is this ? Just trying to get the ncaa to up the sanctions ? Or more Fear to try & get folks to vote No on keeping the name

All they have to do is have Generic Uniforms for ncaa tournments that are not that often

Don't get me wrong, MSNBC spouts a lot of "facts" too. Politics is choosing between a douche and a turd sandwich.

You paint one hell of a picture. :bigsmile::D:lol: Thanks for making my day just a little bit better. That was funnier than hell.

We never did get to the Ralph taking much down from there - I don't think they will budge much more than they absolutely have to

I'd rather a Metorite would hit at center ice & destroy the place, than remove anything from the Ralph (other than logo at center ice)

What exactly did you want Kelley to do or say that could have helped "save the nickname"? He was hired after the settlement was signed, he couldn't change that. Of course, the SBoHE had control of that situation anyway so the President of UND really had no control of that situation. After the settlement the only way to live up to the terms were to get approval from both tribes. Spirit Lake gave approval. Standing Rock said no and then wouldn't talk to anyone. They wouldn't return phone calls or emails from anyone with any authority in Higher Education. They wouldn't talk to anyone in state government about the issue. They still won't return phone calls or emails on the subject. If they won't talk to anyone on the subject, how can anyone get them to change their mind. The President of UND has no power at Standing Rock. Blaming Kelley is foolish and a waste of time. THE ONLY THING THAT HAS A CHANCE TO HELP CHANGE THE NCAA POLICY IS THE STANDING ROCK LAWSUIT, and that is a long shot. The rest of this lunacy is just doing damage to the school, it isn't helping anyone other than lawyers and selling newspapers.

Kelley does deserve blame, some of the blame anyway. Even Shaft chided him last year for statements he made. In any event, blame is irrelevant at this point whether one thinks such assigned blame is with merit or not. We are where we are. Personally, I blame Conrad, Dorgan, Howeven, Pomeroy and Berg more than anyone. Thousands of signatures for the referral were obtained (13,500 or so), thousands more for the intitated measure have been obtained and more will be obtained (27,000 or so), 67% of Spirit Lake likes the nickname, super-majority of alumni/alumnae support (supported previously) the nickname and logo, the vast majority of Standing Rock wants the nickname and logo and they have sat on their hands. Conrad and Hoeven have lost any moral prerogative to sit on any Indian Affairs Committee, if they ever had one to begin with, given that they've just sat idly by while sacred tribal ceremonies are disrespected and besmirched. The only thing that would make this marginally worse is if Heidi "I've been on the public dole all of my professional life" Heitkamp gets elected. Somehow Democrats and Republicans confuse being perenially on the public teet and being ass-kissed by lobbyists night and day with "public service", "experience"; and "legislative creativity."

Personally, I blame Conrad, Dorgan, Howeven, Pomeroy and Berg more than anyone.

You said the magic word (albeit misspelled).

John Hoeven was Governor when the settlement agreement was signed.

His former chief of staff (Bill Goetz) was NDUS Chancellor at the time of the settlement.

It's Bill Goetz's signature (along with NDAG Wayne Stenehjem's) on the settlement agreement documents.

As Exec Branch members, they answer to Hoeven.

And let us not forget Goetz's statement about (paraphrased) a fundamental shift in public policy the day the settlement was announced.

That fundamental shift could have only come from one office: Gov. Hoeven's office.

Now Hoeven is US Senator John Hoeven (R, ND), and in an even better position to bring pressure to bear.

Again, nothing.

Many point to President (Dr.) Kelley, the Stanford Indian Cardinal, as the problem.

Dare I say a bigger and longer problem in this drama is none other than the Dartmouth Indian Big Green alumnus, John Hoeven.

so are you guys going to start a occupy (Where / What ?) to make these BOZO"S do something - Maybe the SBOHE & Kelley could lead us in this ? ? ? :crazy:

Hopefully occupy the Big Sky Conference, that's where they want to lead us.

so are you guys going to start a occupy (Where / What ?) to make these BOZO"S do something - Maybe the SBOHE & Kelley could lead us in this ? ? ? :crazy:

That's a brilliant idea. Why don't you lay down on an on-ramp to I-29 and try to block traffic?

• Upvote 1

Personally, I blame Conrad, Dorgan, Howeven, Pomeroy and Berg more than anyone. Thousands of signatures for the referral were obtained (13,500 or so), thousands more for the intitated measure have been obtained and more will be obtained (27,000 or so), 67% of Spirit Lake likes the nickname, super-majority of alumni/alumnae support (supported previously) the nickname and logo,"

Berg isn't going to get involved in this from what I have been told by someone that is an aid of his.

Edited by Goon

Berg isn't going to get involved in this from what I have been told by someone that is an aid of his.

None of the North Dakota delegation is going to get involved. Dalrymple has shown how much interest he has in the matter. Carlson and his cronies don't care about what happens to UND, they are just using the issue to further their own cause.

There you go again just let any hope go - of finding a way to really try to save the name

I'm to the point NO NAME NO BIG SKY

No Big Sky probably means no football within 3-5 years. Basketball could probably hang on, but would be marginalized completely. So would all of the minor sports, at least the ones that survive. UND would probably cut down to the minimum number of teams needed to remain in Division I.

You keep talking about hope, but never provide any options that could actually happen. And you want to risk everything on this empty hope. That is truly a waste.

There you go again just let any hope go - of finding a way to really try to save the name

I thought we were pinning our hopes on the success of the SL vs NC$$ lawsuit?? Although I suppose that is equivalent to giving up any legitimate attempt to save the name. Seriously though, take your time and come up with a well thought out answer for this..... What does the success of the petition process have to do with the success of the SL lawsuit??? Why is it necessary for UND athletics to be punished in the short term, in order to save the name in the long term (as you people assume SL will be victorious in their lawsuit)

I thought we were pinning our hopes on the success of the SL vs NC$$ lawsuit?? Although I suppose that is equivalent to giving up any legitimate attempt to save the name. Seriously though, take your time and come up with a well thought out answer for this..... What does the success of the petition process have to do with the success of the SL lawsuit??? Why is it necessary for UND athletics to be punished in the short term, in order to save the name in the long term (as you people assume SL will be victorious in their lawsuit)

Good luck getting a quality answer.

Occupy Indianapolis sounds pretty crappy. King Al made an attempt at it, but they sent him running with his tail between his legs after a couple hours.