SiouxSports.com Forum

The Sanctions and Punishments Have Arrived

The Sicatoka

Absolutely.

Before they do that though, why don't you play Russian roulette and see if that gun is actually fully loaded?

Seems like you are more than willing to let some student-athletes destroy their dreams over your fantasy of keeping the Fighting Sioux sweaters on the hockey team forever, aren't you?

I think you should read that again. Not sure where you see anything of me wanting the student athletes to destroy anything.

Anyone else think its odd how all other UND sports do not have a uniform problem except hockey? Makes you wonder if we were like NDSU without a hockey team if this fight would still be going on. Or if Al Carlson just wanted to take down UND's #1 sport.

Calson's beef is with the SBoE and he's just using this (Fighting Sioux) as a means to take them down.

Calson's beef is with the SBoE and he's just using this (Fighting Sioux) as a means to take them down.

And it's not a beef so much as Carlson looking to consolidate even more micromanaging power into the Legislature and more specifically into his grubby (House majority leader) hands.

The time to do it is AFTER the Sioux receive the championship trophy, they Should all pull off their sweaters and expose fighting Sioux forever t-shirts. Then if the NCAA wants to try to take our title away they can go ahead and see how that works for them.

If the team did that the television coverage would quickly transfer to Bristol, CT to the ESPN headquarters. The NCAA staff would probably not do anything on location. They would go back to Indianapolis and release a press release saying that UND had forfeited the title game. UND would have to pay back all travel expenses. Some people would get upset and there would probably be some newspaper articles and TV stories. Most of the country would ignore the story because it involves an unknown school and a sport that most people don't care about. The short uproar would die down. UND would go in the record books as losing the game. Recruits would think twice before attending UND because they were willing to give up a title. The NCAA would continue to do their thing and UND would continue on sanctions. Plus, the documents related to the conversion to Division I would probably get looked at extra carefully. UND is trying to finish the transition this summer and the NCAA would make sure that every i was dotted and t was crossed before giving final approval. If UND did not get that approval they would be thrown out of the Big Sky. That all sounds worth showing a logo for a couple of minutes after the game.
  • Upvote 4

or like the womens game - the coaches & admin do their job & nothing happens & we live with the sanctions

Tell that to Chris Mussman

Heck, even Coach Hakstol has said that UND Athletics, even UND Hockey, with a Sioux moniker under these sanctions (including "NCAA best practices scheduling" by Minnesota and Wisconsin = never seeing them in Grand Forks again, even non-conference) will face a long, slow, but sure, degrading slide.

Hak is a frank and ernest enough, and confident enough, guy that he would walk and find another job before being forced to say something he didn't believe. And he said it.

The time to do it is AFTER the Sioux receive the championship trophy, they Should all pull off their sweaters and expose fighting Sioux forever t-shirts. Then if the NCAA wants to try to take our title away they can go ahead and see how that works for them.

Yeah.....probably not worth it!!

Allow me to point out two little quotes from the Settlement Agreement:

"If the namesake exemption is completely repealed before UND secures namesake approval as set forth in this Agreement, then UND shall not be able to gain a namesake approval under this Subsection. If the namesake exemption is completely repealed after UND secures approval as set forth in this Agreement, then no school, including UND, will be entitled to the exemption."

Folks, honestly, the State of ND didn't, wouldn't, put that into the Agreement.

That section had to have come from the NCAA and it is a pure "tell" of what their end game is (no exemptions), and it's not just UND.

UND is a stepping stone to the NCAA's end goal of "racial cleansing" of all collegiate monikers. We're a speed bump on their road to bigger things.

Allow me to point out two little quotes from the Settlement Agreement:

Folks, honestly, the State of ND didn't, wouldn't, put that into the Agreement.

That section had to have come from the NCAA and it is a pure "tell" of what their end game is (no exemptions), and it's not just UND.

UND is a stepping stone to the NCAA's end goal of "racial cleansing" of all collegiate monikers. We're a speed bump on their road to bigger things.

When will they repeal the "white guilt" exemption that Notre Dame gets?

I think you should read that again. Not sure where you see anything of me wanting the student athletes to destroy anything.

You advocate that the student-athletes should see if they, the NCAA, are bluffing by wearing the Sioux logo, right?

If that's the case, they are destroying their chances to win an NCAA title.

Was that a "bang-splat" sound I just heard.

You advocate that the student-athletes should see if they, the NCAA, are bluffing by wearing the Sioux logo, right?

Actually, homer has been saying that it is time to move on. He was trying to make a point replying to Chewey. Chewey said that the team should wear Florida State t-shirts under their jerseys to see if the NCAA would do anything. homer said that if you really want to make a point you might just as well wear the regular jersey and force the NCAA to do something. But he wasn't really advocating that the team should do that.
  • Upvote 1

I'm curious if the ESPN affiliates will be using the nickname during their coverage of the NCAA tournament. Also, would anyone put it past the NCAA to request they not show highlights from previous games where our nickname and logo are prominently displayed? Often times they'll lead into a game showing highlights of how the two teams got there. Maybe since ESPN is not the NCAA it has no say; but I suppose it could be in their broadcast contract somewhere.

Are we in China?

And it's not a beef so much as Carlson looking to consolidate even more micromanaging power into the Legislature and more specifically into his grubby (House majority leader) hands.

You're right, there are many in the legislature that want the legislature to control the North Dakota Board of Higher Education because they spend too much money. Personally, I don't have a problem with that argument, fine, but they are using the school as a political football to enflame the masses.

I am a little leery of Al Carlson because I don't think Carlson give two $#its about UND and since he is a NDSU grad, I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to say that he might be trying to destroy their athletic department in the process as well…

Probably either the 3rd or 4th wave of the process.

Right after they finally own up to their own hypocrisy to allow the "approved" white Florida State "rider" to drive a lance into the ground at midfield, and the finally tell FSU to get rid of their moniker too.

Maybe we can nominate Kelley to be the next NC$$ boss ... :hypocrite::whistling:

Actually, homer has been saying that it is time to move on. He was trying to make a point replying to Chewey. Chewey said that the team should wear Florida State t-shirts under their jerseys to see if the NCAA would do anything. homer said that if you really want to make a point you might just as well wear the regular jersey and force the NCAA to do something. But he wasn't really advocating that the team should do that.

The FSU attire is "approved" by one tribe. Thus, they could not "punish" anyone for wearing it. Conceivably, they could put the Seminole head on a jersey and wear that and just go by "north dakota" pending some sort of arrangement with FSU. It's the voice of dissidence. Where else to get the matter on a national stage other than this weekend?

The FSU attire is "approved" by one tribe. Thus, they could not "punish" anyone for wearing it. Conceivably, they could put the Seminole head on a jersey and wear that and just go by "north dakota" pending some sort of arrangement with FSU. It's the voice of dissidence. Where else to get the matter on a national stage other than this weekend?

FSU has the approval to use the Seminole name and logo. It isn't a generic approval for everyone. UND doesn't have approval. UND doesn't have official approval to wear any Native American name or imagery in a NCAA tournament. Throwing away any chance to win a National Title to try to prove a point is beyond wrong. You want to ask the student athletes to throw away everything they have worked for pretty much all of their lives, and definitely everything they have worked for this season. Why don't you go over to Engelstad Arena and ask them yourselves if that is worth it.

This. Why would we promote another school during an event that they do not even participate in? Florida St. had nothing to do with the agreement the state of ND made with the NCAA. They crossed all their i's and dotted all their t's and the NCAA gave approval. The school, state and tribe were all on the same page from the start. Same can't be said about our past leadership at all three levels. Like I said, you might want to read it again.

I bet FSU would jump right on this and give us permission. They are probably just waiting to see how they could get involved in this circus. Loaning us their emblem would be just their chance.

I bet FSU would jump right on this and give us permission. They are probably just waiting to see how they could get involved in this circus. Loaning us their emblem would be just their chance.

And they probably trim their fingernails by putting their hand into a running meat grinder. ;):D