SiouxSports.com Forum

The Sanctions and Punishments Have Arrived

The Sicatoka

Does anyone know if the Union "Dutchmen" can use their nickname this weekend?

Is the nickname in any way related to the Native American culture or do they use Native American imagery? The answers to my questions are no and no, so the answer to your question is yes. Dutchmen is Northern European, like Fighting Irish or Vikings, so it is fair game for the NCAA.

Well then Chewey, I respect your opinion. I disagree cuz I was an athlete and I would want to compete and win a National title and I would rather wear no logo than lose a game forfeiting the game rather than making a team earn it. I would rather have someone else fight with the politicians and the NCAA because we aren't on a level playing field, but good for you. Your points are well taken. The NCAA does little for the multiple violations we see in D1 athletics but punishes a school for trying to honor citizens of the state in a respectful manner. Load of crap, but thus far the courts seem to agree they have the power. Go Sioux!

I agree. I like reading Chewey even though I disagree also. Athletes work hard to get in the position to win. They wouldn't throw it away to make any kind of statement in support of a name. It's not that critical or, honestly, important.

Let the fans wear the Sioux gear and cheer on the Sioux! The coaches/athletes/administrators/cheerleaders/band have to comply.

You know who most wants UND to show up with the logo and the word "Sioux" this weekend?

Western Michigan, Boston University, and Minnesota.

Why?

Because if we show up with it it is immediate game forfeiture and we're put onto a bus home.

You know who most wants UND to show up with the logo and the word "Sioux" this weekend? Western Michigan, Boston University, and Minnesota? Why? Because if we show up with it it is immediate game forfeiture and we're put onto a bus home.

You have to wonder if the NC$$ will have people wandering around the X to look for any "official" display of the Sioux moniker among the team, staff, officials, etc.

After all of the accusations from Frank Burgraff, Fetch, Dave K. and friends I would like to pose a question. Is this really about the downtrodden Native Americans and their rights? Are we really going to stand up to the NCAA? Those of us who have been called cowards or sheep because we see the bigger picture and the importance of putting UND and UND athletics in a better postion to succeed have decided no matter how we feel about the name, the risk is too real. Will those of you who claim this is more important than UND athletics, demand UND wear the logo jerseys for the upcoming NCAA playoffs and then accept the NCAA penalty of forfeiting the game? If UND would wear the logo jerseys it would do more than anything thus far, to bring this to a national level and expose the NCAA hypocrisy. Can you imagine the media madness if a University made such a stand against the biased policies of the NCAA and was willing to risk a National Championship in order to make our point and stand up for the rights of the Sioux nation? If you would do that , then I may disagree, but I respect your opinion no matter how misguided and you have the courage of your convictions. I would like Frank Burgraff to publically demand UND wear the jerseys if he really believes in this cause. Otherwise he is just a mouthy 4th line aggitator and loses his credibility. Are you folks dedicated to this issue or not? If so, you should be calling for UND to wear the logo jerseys as a matter of principle. If not, then you are not committed to the cause and just making noise. To be willing to let the punishments hurt others and not you or your favorite team, would be cowardice in my book . Otherwise, it is clearly time to drop the name and move on and I am not sure I know of a better example to try and get some of you to see what is at stake. On a personal note Fetch, if you are going to the regionals and still want that beer, I buy you that beer and a few more as long as you don't drive me nuts. I'll be at Embassy Suites

Aren't you giving him a little too much credit? Putting him on the 4th line? I was thinking a more accurate description would be A Heathly Scratch, who talks a big game, but doesn't have what it takes to make the line up card.

You have to wonder if the NC$$ will have people wandering around the X to look for any "official" display of the Sioux moniker among the team, staff, officials, etc.

When the team leaves the hotel it will be just like looking over your kid before his first day of 1st grade...make sure he put on the clothes you laid out for him, his 'good' shoes, 'good' coat, no toys that can be considered offensive, etc...

When the team leaves the hotel ...

Hotel?

I'd have the equipment manager pack a "racially cleansed NCAA approved" bag for each guy and have them walk from the REA locker room onto the bus to St. Paul naked. (Thank goodness the bus can pull into REA and they don't have to step outside. :ohmy: ) They can dress from their "racially cleansed NCAA approved" bag on the bus on I-29.

And someone make sure Hak takes the lapel pin off.

Hotel?

I'd have the equipment manager pack a "racially cleansed NCAA approved" bag for each guy and have them walk from the REA locker room onto the bus to St. Paul naked. (Thank goodness the bus can pull into REA and they don't have to step outside. :ohmy: ) They can dress from their "racially cleansed NCAA approved" bag on the bus on I-29.

And someone make sure Hak takes the lapel pin off.

I have no doubt that Hak is going to go over this in a team meeting and they will be thoroughly "cleansed" before this weekend.

Here is what I believe is the problem. The Band...Cheerleaders...Administration. Who oversees them on this issue?

Here is what I believe is the problem. The Band...Cheerleaders...Administration. Who oversees them on this issue?

I hereby volunteer my time to see the cheerleaders through this (below) process that I've defined. ;)

... have them walk from the REA locker room onto the bus to St. Paul naked. ...

You can do the same with the band and with Jayson Hajdu and the athletics admins. :D

I hereby volunteer my time to see the cheerleaders through this (below) process that I've defined. ;)

You can do the same with the band and with Jayson Hajdu and the athletics admins. :D

Isn't it good to see that we have such dedicated alumni from North Dakota!

Standing up to the NCAA and accepting a forfeit would destroy UND hockey. If UND would be crazy enough to wear the logo jerseys and accept the forfeit, we would have kids jump ship off this present team and we would lose committed recruits. We would have trouble ever returning to the quality of team we have been. You would really see UND hockey tradition destroyed by this issue. The name and logo are clearly not UND hockey nor UND athletics but only a very small part of the tradition of UND athletics. It is the players, the coaches, the fans, the University and the Alumni and communities that support us that make up the tradition. Having said that, I will wear my logo gear just like I always do.

• Upvote 2

Just wondering if the NCAA monitors all the other teams that used to have "hostile and abusive" names to make sure their team, staff, etc no longer wear anything that reflects on the history and pride associated with their previous nickname? Marquette for example.

Ira I have never been for hurting UND - it is not going to hurt us significantly to follow the agreement - Just don't wear the Logo - we can afford to purchase generic helmets & uniforms - what the crowd does or the media does is not our problem

The Sioux Name will never die to Hockey Fans any hope of keeping it is worth doing