SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Doesn't Denver seem to going against the location footprint that the Summit has been preaching was so important to them? They must be desperate.

ORU leaving obviously changed that, that said UMKC and Denver do work well together as travel partners since both are located near major airports.

There is a rumor that Grand Canyon University will be getting a WAC invite tomorrow. That probably was the final straw that drove DU out of the WAC. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it drove Idaho to the Big Sky a year earlier than the current "in 2014" plan.

Hard to believe NMSU wants to be in the same conference with a diploma mill like GCU. Too bad the Big Sky, Sun Belt or Summit can't throw them some kind of lifeline.

No kidding. I imagine there is a bit of panic in their athletic department right now. I think the biggest question is where do they park Football?

In perusing various message boards regarding DU's move to the Summit, it appears there are quite a few people who think UND and UNC would be a good fit for the Summit. I know we've been down this road before but I was a bit surprised how many others feel UND and UNC would go to the Summit/MVFC in an instant if they were offered. Initially I was leaning Summit over the Big Sky prior to having an invite. Now that we've been in the Big Sky for half a year, I definitely prefer we stay in the Big Sky. Anyone think UND would go to the Summit if an MVFC invite was included? I would think the chance of that happening is less than 10%.

In perusing various message boards regarding DU's move to the Summit, it appears there are quite a few people who think UND and UNC would be a good fit for the Summit. I know we've been down this road before but I was a bit surprised how many others feel UND and UNC would go to the Summit/MVFC in an instant if they were offered. Initially I was leaning Summit over the Big Sky prior to having an invite. Now that we've been in the Big Sky for half a year, I definitely prefer we stay in the Big Sky. Anyone think UND would go to the Summit if an MVFC invite was included? I would think the chance of that happening is less than 10%.

I think there is absolutely no chance this would ever happen. Being the only Dakota school as a member of the Big Sky is going to give us a distinct recruiting edge over the other 3 schools in the west and can really seperate us.The bigger reason for me though is that I don't want us to be "clumped in" with the other Dakota schools, I like that we are going our own way and forming our own path. Just my opinion though

• Upvote 3

Put me in the corner that if we could get UNC to be Denver's travel partner that I would prefer the Summit League. I miss the day trips to road games.

If we were go to the Summit the big question is where do we park football? If there was a MVFC invite on the table then we have something here but at this point the Big Sky is a Great all around conference.

From some of the chatter I hear it sounds like DU wants nothing to do with UNC...maybe a leading reason why they did not move to the Big Sky. Just speculation though...

Only way I see North Dakota leaving the Big Sky is if the Montana schools leave first.

I can't imagine the MVFC, as it exists now, ever offering an invitation to UND and certainly not to UNC. One of the "power schools" in that conference, Southern Illinois, required travel concesseions to allow USD in. Maybe if multiple Eastern schools leave someday, but Youngstown is really the only one that ever gets mentioned about possibly moving on and I don't know how realistic that is.

I wonder though if the Summit could look to UND and UNC both as baseball affiliates? Both schools need a conference for that sport, and the Summit only has 5 members which I believe jeopardizes their autobid. Denver doesn't help the Summit in this area.

As a fan, I whole-heartedly prefer the Big Sky to the Summit.

With all this UND to the MVFC/Summit talk might want to think about this....how is the relationship between dumbass, I mean Douple and President Kelley? Both pointed fingers at each other in the whole nickname thing. So UND going to the Summit may face that roadblock but if Douple is desperate he may kiss Kelley's ass to get his school as a member. I only see UND going as long as we get the same deal as South Dakota. Its either MVFC/Summit or no deal.